ATX Community

NT: completely & totally non-tax

Catherine

Sigh.

I have been working on a four-tune Scottish fiddle set for the New Hampshire Highland Games this September -- since last September. My instructor just added a whole slew of really excellent ornamentation and dynamics to the tunes. So now I've been working on adding those in.

Thing is, my instructor broke her left (violin fingering!) wrist in *fourteen* places in February after falling on ice.

She still made it sound easy and beautiful.

With no broken wrist and no mobility problem I sound not *quite* bad enough to make the neighborhood cats howl.

I don't think breaking my own wrist will improve my sound, though.

:wall:

• Like 4

Hang in there, Catherine. There is a reason your instructor is the instructor and you are the student. Even those who eventually make it to Carnegie got there through practice, practice, practice. And now you have time for some more of that.

I admire the determination to do something so different. My husband decided about 14 years ago he wanted to play the Celtic harp. So he bought a kit, built it, taught himself to play and a couple of years ago 'graduated' to a 5 ft. floor harp. He plays at the library, coffee houses, weddings, etc. and practices...a lot.

Keep it up. I am sure you will do a wonderful job. We're planning a trip to New England in September or October so maybe we'll be in the audience!

• Like 1

Sigh.

I have been working on a four-tune Scottish fiddle set for the New Hampshire Highland Games this September -- since last September. My instructor just added a whole slew of really excellent ornamentation and dynamics to the tunes. So now I've been working on adding those in.

Thing is, my instructor broke her left (violin fingering!) wrist in *fourteen* places in February after falling on ice.

She still made it sound easy and beautiful.

With no broken wrist and no mobility problem I sound not *quite* bad enough to make the neighborhood cats howl.

I don't think breaking my own wrist will improve my sound, though.

:wall:

I love going to the Scottish games when they are here in August. The calling of the Clans, I could listen to Bagpipes and Fiddle all day! Keep up the good work and you will do fine!!! Nice to be involved with something totally unrelated to Taxes!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the sympathy and kind words. Yes, it is really nice to do something completely unrelated to taxes. I also use practice (in the winter) as a way to warm up when I've been sitting at this desk freezing my patootie off; it does an amazing job at warming me up. Ten minutes and I'm toasty (ceiling fan in the practice room for summer!). Plus have had a brain break and can go back to whatever was driving me nuts when I'd left off.

I actually have one more eligible year to compete in the novice category but Gwen (who is WAY better than I am) got arm-twisted by our instructor to compete in the "Open" (=adult non-beginner) category. She is terrified of coming in last (highly unlikely; she's good), so if I go for the Open, she is guaranteed _not_ to be dead last! What's a little public humiliation among friends, family, and a roomful of complete strangers, after all?

• Like 5

The opinion of neighborhood cats is overrated. Check out my daughter's cat Enzo, who knows what is important:

10014541_772608102749468_119686848225712

• Like 2

Why do they do that when they have clean, fresh water in their bowls? Also, if our cat can escape and get in a couple of good bites of grass, she is overjoyed. My Granddaughter bought her a box of in-house grass which is meant for cats to chew on. Put it by her dishes and she wouldn't touch it. Put it on my desk and she thinks she is sneaking something. Likes it fine.

Catherine, give yourself credit for even trying. I love music, but am not even that good at playing the radio.

• Like 5