ATX Community

Management fees

ILLMAS

I have a question, TP was force to pay a management fee as part of the bankruptcy/restructuring process to a third party assigned by the courts, they call it a management fee, however they don't move a finger nor are a management company managing his properties and I was wondering if there is another name that can used instead of management fee?  He is a real estate professional and having management fee on his tax return can cause a red flag (went through it already, association fees were being enter under management fees on Sch E), so I need to find another name for it.  Hopefully someone can help me.

Thanks

MAS

When I first got into the accounting business over 40 years ago, I was told to look at anything I was tempted to put into "Miscellaneous" and imagine someone asking me to explain what that expenditure was really for.  The answer to that question is where the initial entry should go.  So I just make that up-front decision and I never use "Miscellaneous" on a financial statement or a tax return.  :)

• Like 4

One of my clients once had something on their income statement called miscellaneous for about $10,000.  I questioned it and one of the employees said, "That's a lot of miscellaneous."  I finally got them to explain it and reclassify it to something less suspicious.

When I worked for the Air Force, some defense contractors would hide their liquor bills under miscellaneous.

I've used miscellaneous a few times for very small amounts.

For accounting clients, I prefer them to use Miscellaneous or Uncategorized instead of them creating a new chart of account for everything, last year I cleaned up a companies chart of accounts, we went from have 8 pages to 2 pages.

That's why I don't tell them not to use Miscellaneous - I just ask for a transaction report for that account and then pop things into the correct account with a journal entry.  Some clients use Ask Accountant the same way, but most of them like miscellaneous better because they think they already know where it goes.

• Like 2