ATX Community

WHAT'S INCLUDED IN GENERAL CHAT

michaelmars

I agree.  I don't even think about the other forums most of the time.  I don't care about having any more compartments to deal with, either.  I can scan and ignore with the best of em.  What worries me most is people answering tax questions that they didn't read carefully.  Assuming facts that weren't given.  Going off into left field with the 1,345 possibilities if it's a Tuesday and there's a full moon.  Kinda like I'm doing now.

• Like 6

Some people like the off topic and chatty posts mixed it and say that it gives a welcome break, but I'd like to see those types of posts separated out in the Off Topic forum too with the General Chat being relabled to include tax and practice management issues only.  I also wanted to separate the software issues out of tax because there are numerous software questions mixed in with the tax questions during our busiest time and end up all jumbled together.

What would you think about these categories:

Tax and Practice Management

Software and Technology

General Chat for all the fun and off-topic posts

Help

• Like 2

Some people like the off topic and chatty posts mixed it and say that it gives a welcome break, but I'd like to see those types of posts separated out in the Off Topic forum too with the General Chat being relabled to include tax and practice management issues only.  I also wanted to separate the software issues out of tax because there are numerous software questions mixed in with the tax questions during our busiest time and end up all jumbled together.

What would you think about these categories:

Tax and Practice Management

Software and Technology

General Chat for all the fun and off-topic posts

Help

Like the idea of separate because of easier to use, especially during busy time.

• Like 1

I would prefer if the ATX specific software issues stay in the General Chat section of the board.  I can't tell you how many times I have avoided a problem because someone else found out about it and I was aware of the problem.  I do like that the political stuff got moved out of General Chat - that was a nice move.  But I read the General Section almost exclusively and would like to see the ATX software issues stay in this area.

Just my humble 2 cents.

• Like 3

Like the idea of separate because of easier to use, especially during busy time.

When you have all those different categories of posts, this board would become like the "other" ATX board.  So many good and important posts get lost in some of those lesser categories because most of the newbies (and others) don't know enough to read anything other than the main category, which soon ends up being a complaint category; which ends up not being read at all.  (Hope this makes sense to someone)  I've been a little out of sorts since the time change on Sunday.

• Like 7

Well, the way I see it, this is the 'General Chat', and should continue to be.  The 'Private' forum is for things like pictures, bragging on kids, etc, but an occasional joke here is not going to hurt anyone, as long as the Topic name indicates it's not tax.  Anyone can skip it if they don't want to take any time out for a smile.  And I think experience clearly shows few use the specialized forums  we already have, so I don't think we need more of them.  So often, software and even hardware questions are actually tied into tax questions.  I'd just ask that we all try to make our Topic Headings as clear and informative as possible.  And most all of you do that.  I've been on boards where headings are cluttered with headings like 'Just a Question..".  Thank goodness, that's really rare here.  So if the post is headed "Anyone going to the Rangers game?", I won't care, because it should be easy for anyone to skip.  

• Like 4

When you have all those different categories of posts, this board would become like the "other" ATX board.  So many good and important posts get lost in some of those lesser categories because most of the newbies (and others) don't know enough to read anything other than the main category, which soon ends up being a complaint category; which ends up not being read at all.  (Hope this makes sense to someone)  I've been a little out of sorts since the time change on Sunday.

No - actually this is a "better" board as far as tax answers (maybe ATX has a more "software" answer available but tax wise I learn more here than at the other board).

Agree, with complaints --- without --- an actual question or answer, so I also learn some software stuff here too.

Is the time change why it is darker out earlier now?   --- maybe that is why I am "off" more than normal too  :spaz:

Well, the way I see it, this is the 'General Chat', and should continue to be.  The 'Private' forum is for things like pictures, bragging on kids, etc, but an occasional joke here is not going to hurt anyone, as long as the Topic name indicates it's not tax.  Anyone can skip it if they don't want to take any time out for a smile.  And I think experience clearly shows few use the specialized forums  we already have, so I don't think we need more of them.  So often, software and even hardware questions are actually tied into tax questions.  I'd just ask that we all try to make our Topic Headings as clear and informative as possible.  And most all of you do that.  I've been on boards where headings are cluttered with headings like 'Just a Question..".  Thank goodness, that's really rare here.  So if the post is headed "Anyone going to the Rangers game?", I won't care, because it should be easy for anyone to skip.  

Changing my mind somewhat --- did not understand the "private forum" was pictures, kids, non-tax chatting mostly for those who contribute for this forum --- actually makes sense to me, as it lets "general chat" open for "GENERAL" things. 

Although, if we do get too crazy and there are too many non-tax things, I like to be able to skip them --- in favor --- of the "good" knowledge. Maybe the headings comment -- before and below --- is the answer?

Also, your mention that some "software" questions, etc. tie into actual tax preparation knowledge makes more sense as the two MANY times do go together.

TOTALLY agree where if the subject headings are specific and descriptive, it will HELP cut down on reviewing time, when we actually need to "keep up"

LASTLY but definitely not least --- is Eric does a TREMENDOUS job of keeping us up, running and moving forward along with having moderators who are willing and knowledgeable to help and guide.              PLUG ---- consider "donations" button.    Mine are unfortunately usually small but heartfelt (and I believe Eric is appreciative of whatever is possible) --- join in --- THANKS. :)

• Like 2

No - actually this is a "better" board as far as tax answers (maybe ATX has a more "software" answer available but tax wise I learn more here than at the other board).

Agree, with complaints --- without --- an actual question or answer, so I also learn some software stuff here too.

Is the time change why it is darker out earlier now?   --- maybe that is why I am "off" more than normal too  :spaz:

I was actually trying to say that this is a far better board.  Always has been. 

Yes, the time change is why it is darker out earlier.  I am still "out of sorts" but getting better.

• Like 2

I was actually trying to say that this is a far better board.  Always has been. 

Yes, the time change is why it is darker out earlier.  I am still "out of sorts" but getting better.

Yes, Daylight Wasting Time is the absolute worst.  And that statement is a good example of "Off Topic," but it needed to be said.

• Like 4

I prefer one board....with descriptive titles for each thread.

I don't use ATX....so if it's an ATX issue.... I skip it.

I don't do business returns....so again, I'll skip those threads.

If it's a personal thing that interests me.... I 'll read.

Tax questions... I'll read.

Complaints about clients.....well, misery does love company!

It's just easier for everything to be together....and then you pick and choose.

• Like 7