ATX Community

When Do You Start Sending Out Tax Organizers

ETax847

I try to send them about the time they will start receiving their official tax documents.  For the late filers whose 'current year' info is received by the time the tax organizer is available it is printed and given to them in a separate envelope along with their current year tax return.

Some complete it, others do not.  But they all sign the engagement letter - if it is not signed and dated when I receive their materials it is scanned and sent to them.  No work is done until the signed and dated engagement letter is received back in my office.  I use the tax organizer as a worksheet, no matter what the client uses it for.

• Like 3

I send out my letters the 2nd week of January, with a document checklist.  I don't use organizers; I want to see the originals.  Nor do I want to pay to print and mail out 8 or 16 pages to every client, to get most of it back blank and annotated "see attached" with the original documents appended.

• Like 2

Catherine, do you send the engagement letter with your 'checklist'? 

Yes; I have a "welcome to tax season" letter that mentions anything new -- such as, a couple years ago, the new foreign holdings reporting forms.  This year will talk about the new office location and ACA issues.  The engagement letter - straight from Drake, for each client - goes out in that same mailing as well.  So it's still a pretty full envelope but it's 4 pieces of paper not 16.  Welcome letter, engagement letter, document checklist.  In the mail second week of January.

• Like 1