ATX Community

Rental Property Question

ETax847

Client is fixing up his condo to rent out as of January 1, 2015.  Are the expenses incurred this month to prepare the condo for rent deductible on his 2014 return?  Thanks!

Amortize it as start-up costs (15 years) in the year that he makes the condo available to rent.  If it is available Jan. 1, 2015, then start up expenses for 2015.

if  you have not yet started collecting rent,you cannot deduct expenses

I think "collecting rent" = putting it in service.

I have never seen a landlord allowing people to live in the condo without collecting rent first. So colleting rent is never after putting it in service.

I think "collecting rent" = putting it in service.

I have never seen a landlord allowing people to live in the condo without collecting rent first. So colleting rent is never after putting it in service.

In service date is the date it is available for rent, whether it is rented or not.  Once it is available for rent, expenses may be deducted.

• Like 2

As it is originally posted it will not be put in service or available for rent until January 2015, No expenses should be capitalized.

I don't think this statement is correct.  Expenses to get a property ready for rental activity are not currently deductible, but can be capitalized and depreciated over the life of the property.

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 1

I don't think this statement is correct.  Expenses to get a property ready for rental activity are not currently deductible, but can be capitalized and depreciated over the life of the property.

Tom

Newark, CA

My apologies. Should have No. Expenses should be capitalized.