ATX Community

Think about helping the Seniors

lydia33

Some of us have been doing tax returns for a long time. (33 years). Keep in mind I live in a small town. Over the years I have had loyal clients. When they retire they still call me to make sure that nothing has changed to make them have to file. They bring me their info and I run a quick tape on the totals and show them that they do not owe any taxes. I do not charge for this because they were with me until they retired. Today I have decided to do their returns for Free. I have been blessed over the years and now it is time to pay it forward. If I did not do their return in the past and when I figure the one for the rebate I am only going to charge $25. It will be another story if they owe some tax. Think about it, we all hope to be there (retired) one day. :rolleyes:

I have a handful of senior clients that, even though I explain to them that they do not need to file, insist on filing every year. I do this for them at no charge and will do so again this year.

As word gets around at the senior center, I imagine that many others will arrive at my door. I will prepare theirs (new clients) for $20.00 for those that I know can afford it and the rest for free.....

To me, an appreciative smile is worth more than what I would feel right charging them.

I am so glad that someone discussed this issue. I agree with Tom. Many times a senior will come into my office to file and it is obvious that they are barely making it. My parents are also seniors living on fixed income, and believe me when I tell you it's tough to get by especially in California.

So if I have seniors calling asking for pricing I may quote $10 to $20 to do the return however if they bring me the papers and I can see were they stand I will probably waive my fee. These types of returns really do not take that much time, and I have found in the few cases I have done in the past, that little good will goes a long way.

In the case of my clients who have children that work but still can be claimed as dependents, I often to the childrens return at no charge, the exception of course is if the child is getting a good refund. But I will never charge more than what they expect as a refund, in fact if the refund is less than more normal fee I don't charge at all. The parents are very pleased with this and it often results in referrals.

I have a case were I do the daughter and son's return and this year they asked me if mom needed to file. I told them it would be best to bring the info to me and let me run the figures, and it turned out that because of the stimulas package she does need to file, but also there is a small amount due of $10.00. Again I'm not charging for this. The daughter and son think I'm wonderful. They are happy, I'm happy.

I have another client who from day one has been hounding me about this. He's just that kind of guy. I kept telling him to hold off until it has actually been signed and we know exactly what needs to be done, but he kept on and on. Finally I quoted him a price of $25.00. The phone stopped ringing!

The bottom line is that our seniors have worked hard and contributed much to who and what we are today. I feel this in a small opportunity that we have to show our respect!

Deb!

Just my two cents worth!

I totally agree with you Deb. I am in a small city , also, and we tend to do things a bit differently than the big boys and the franchise preparers. We have quite a few non-filing seniors at our church and I am having an item put in this Sunday"s bulletin that I will file for them at no charge. I have also begun calling former clients that no longer file and offering the same service. I still feel a loyalty to those people who stuck with me for many years. Of course, if a stranger walks in and wants to make a donation to the sun and fun fund, that will be OK too!!

Gerald

That's what happened to me Friday. This couple calls me every year to make sure that they do not have to file. Called about a week ago and told me what they had read in the paper that it looked like they would have to file just to qualify for the rebate. Thurs. morning read the bill that was signed and sure enough we did. Call them and made an appointment for them Friday. We had 4 years to catch up on and they are my neighbors. Anyway I hope that we can be patient and help these elderly folks. I hope to be one someday.

That's what happened to me Friday. This couple calls me every year to make sure that they do not have to file. Called about a week ago and told me what they had read in the paper that it looked like they would have to file just to qualify for the rebate. Thurs. morning read the bill that was signed and sure enough we did. Call them and made an appointment for them Friday. We had 4 years to catch up on and they are my neighbors. Anyway I hope that we can be patient and help these elderly folks. I hope to be one someday.

Every day of Tax Season, I feel closer to being one. I say again that they paid for my services for many years. If they want to talk for an hour, I will listen....Did just that this morning. I had previously filed this lady's Wisconsin Homestead. Today, I filed her Fed return to "get her in the loop" She was here for two hours, BUT she brought along returns for her son, her daughter and three of her grandsons. :)