ATX Community

Sending Midwest luck to the Northeast

ILLMAS

Good luck to all of those north and east of me.  I am breathing a big sigh of relief that our total accumulation has been downgraded to the 5-8" range without the blizzard warnings. Earlier models predicted 2.5 times than that for us.  I haven't watched the updates this morning but husband heard that the Boston area is to have hurricane force winds of over 75 mph! 

• Like 1

We took down the flag out front (but not the one out back as it's much harder to get to; we'll cross our fingers on that one).  Local farm stand has a sign that they will be closed tomorrow.  My office will be closed tomorrow.  My Tuesday accounting client has cancelled.  We'll hunker down and do our best - thanks for the good wishes!

whee-ha!  just a couple of isolated flakes here at  the moment (snow, not people  ^_^  ) but that will change later this afternoon and evening.

20" - 30" expected with gale winds (hurricane force at the coast).

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=42.43812686236589&lon=-71.23451975248378&site=all&smap=1#.VMaH5P7F-a8

Hunker down, my friend. I was there during the blizzard of '78 when the city closed down for days. I lived in the Back Bay. It was never so quiet before or after. But we didn't have gale force winds just small mountains of snow with drifts way taller than me.

Do take care. My best friend lives in Quincy and I spoke with her last evening. So glad her son is marrying in September (possible visit alert!) and not now!

• Like 1

It looks like just another average storm this far north, only 8-15". 

And don't bother going to the store for bread and milk or whatever people are always buying before a storm.  If you're going to stock up on anything, it should be booze and snacks.

• Like 5

The picture says it all!!

Believe it or not, this is NOT (to me) a POLITICAL comment per say as it pertains to ALL parties -- it is issued (tongue in cheek :P ) and with the intent of correcting a misperceptions on our "poor" weatherpersons ...   (alone)

The picture is incorrect as it states only Meteorologist but in fact is true for "Politicians" too.

(It does take some of the fun out, when one needs to "explain" rather than just make fun of) - but it is what happens when one is as "anal" as me.

• Like 1

My thoughts and prayers are with you folks as well.  I am on the western most edge of this storm and we have had snow continuing most of the day.  We have about 3 inches of new snow and the prediction is another 5 overnight and into early tomorrow.  But that just is not a big deal here.  What you folks in the direct line of fire for this storm need to be concerned about, as you are already aware, is the wind.  Please check in when you can so we will know how you are doing.  Good luck! And God Speed!

• Like 1

I will check in as I can, assuming we have power tomorrow.  If we do lose power, we have a fireplace with a clean flue, a good bit of burnable wood, and ways to heat food as well.  We surely would not worry about stuff in the fridge and freezer; in extremis it could be packed in clean trash bins filled with snow.

Thank you for all your good wishes; I am sending them myself to friends and family members who live closer to the coast and on Cape Cod.

Edited by Catherine
  • Like 4

So far here we've got us an ANSI standard winter snowstorm/blizzard.  Windy, much stronger gusts, about 20" but hard to tell for sure because of all the blowing and drifting.  The wind is scouring the (very small, light, fluffy) flakes off roofs.  I did have some fun watching some idiot woman driving despite the travel ban.  She got stuck (several times!) in her 2WD car on my poorly plowed, deceptively uphill street.  A couple of plow drivers got her unstuck and on her way.  

Couple of teen boys came by asking if we needed help shoveling (they came by last year too and did an excellent job with some nasty gloppy heavy snow).  I sent them to an elderly client around the corner who really needs the help.  His children usually come but they can't get here until after the travel ban lifts.

Nantucket has 12.000 homes without power.  Another 1,000 elsewhere.  They're still getting gusts over 70mph out there.  Probably no more than 45mph gusts here.  The wind is a dull roar.  A few plows are going by occasionally.  We're just taking it easy.  

More as appropriate.

• Like 2

post-121-0-09203000-1422380483_thumb.jpg

We were very lucky that the forecast to only have about an inch. ONE inch that's already melted off the driveway.  We were between the large part of the storm and the other part to our west.

My husband is very disappointed to not use the snowblower in the wind. /s

• Like 1

We got less than anticipated; although, it'll take a while to get the streets clean.  We'd had Code Red robocalls from the state and from Weston leading into the storm, but the call late this morning said all is well but please don't drive until roads get plowed.  Our plow guy did plow our driveway during the night, so there aren't very many inches of snow on it and we have an Outback.  We did not lose power, but finally have a generator so was not as worried about that.  I'd been hearing about Nantucket.  Steve has some cousins in several MA towns.  One along the MA coast just had his appendix removed so was worried about having to shovel.  Haven't seen them post on FaceBook yet to know how he fared.  Be kind to your back as you dig your way out.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifWhen forecasting is totally wrong.jpg

We were very lucky that the forecast to only have about an inch. ONE inch that's already melted off the driveway.  We were between the large part of the storm and the other part to our west.

Have him bring it up to our place.  We live on the south side of a mountain with a west to east wind blowing most of the time and drifting in my driveway pretty regularly.  My drive is a about a third of a mile long and winding so he can blow snow in the wind to his hearts content.  Our next significant snow is scheduled for Thursday.

Glad to hear the good reports.  The extra 5" we were suppose to get overnight turned into about 2".  I think Thursday is to bring another 3 to 5.

• Like 2

attachicon.gifWhen forecasting is totally wrong.jpg

Oh, and I probably need to talk to your husband anyway.  Back several years ago when we were living in town, I bought one of those big walk behind snow blowers - 2 stage, self propelled with tracks, brake type steering, electric start - the whole nine yards.........for my WIFE.  I had very little interest in messing with it but she would get all bundled up and go out and clean up the whole dang block - both sides of the streets - sidewalks and driveways.  The thing was sitting in the garage a couple weeks ago and I was going to use it to clean up in front of the garage (because my wife broke her ankle and had surgery five weeks before) and then I realized that I did not even know how to start it.  How cool is that?

• Like 1

Oh, and I probably need to talk to your husband anyway.  Back several years ago when we were living in town, I bought one of those big walk behind snow blowers - 2 stage, self propelled with tracks, brake type steering, electric start - the whole nine yards.........for my WIFE.  I had very little interest in messing with it but she would get all bundled up and go out and clean up the whole dang block - both sides of the streets - sidewalks and driveways.  The thing was sitting in the garage a couple weeks ago and I was going to use it to clean up in front of the garage (because my wife broke her ankle and had surgery five weeks before) and then I realized that I did not even know how to start it.  How cool is that?

Ron, we did the same thing this year, husband purchased one as a Christmas gift to me because of my shoulder issue.  It sounds very similar to yours, gas powered with electric start but does not have it's own battery and needs to be plugged in to an outlet for starting. If you are familiar with starting an electric start gasoline generator or lawn mower with a choke, it is the same sort of process.

Ron, we did the same thing this year, husband purchased one as a Christmas gift to me because of my shoulder issue.  It sounds very similar to yours, gas powered with electric start but does not have it's own battery and needs to be plugged in to an outlet for starting. If you are familiar with starting an electric start gasoline generator or lawn mower with a choke, it is the same sort of process.

Yeah, but that would have to assume that I WANT to start it.  If I get it started I risk having to use it while standing out in the cold.  Whereas, I can sit in my warm pickup with the Snow Dog plow on the front and look like I am working just as hard. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, but that would have to assume that I WANT to start it.  If I get it started I risk having to use it while standing out in the cold.  Whereas, I can sit in my warm pickup with the Snow Dog plow on the front and look like I am working just as hard. :)

You must not have noticed my sarcasm when I said husband was disappointed.  He really did purchase it for me because I asked for it. I don't mind working the snow as long as it's not in the single digits or heavy, wet feet of snow.  I'd love to try plowing!   

• Like 1