ATX Community

N/T - home based businesses and risk exposure re: homeowner's insurance doesn't cover

jklcpa

Another topic here brought this back to mind, so I thought I'd start a new topic.  For those of you that operate businesses from your home and meet with clients there, you have risk exposure should someone be hurt on your property and that person was there for a business-related purpose.  Your homeowner's insurance will not protect you from this exposure.  My business was required to purchase a separate general liability to cover that risk.

• Like 1

Good advice and discussion. I always go over that with my home-based clients - well all clients for that matter. Make sure you are properly covered - the right price for the correct policy. Had one business client come in the other day and told me she saved over $4,000 by taking my advice. I told her that she needs to understand that my advice does not extend to shopping around for accounting and tax services. She said she would never even consider such a thing. Ha!

On another note, the weather has been so crummy here and with lots of ice. Even though my parking lot is in a lot better shape than others I see in the area, it is still treacherous at times. I tell my clients to be careful because I do not have any insurance. My wife tells me that she does not think my client's believe me. :(

• Like 4