ATX Community

deceased tax payer

ljwalters

Here in DE, if person dies intestate the court would appoint also, but they would first consider any spouse, parents or siblings over an unrelated administrator.  Also in my state, any estate assets would be used to satisfy debts of the decedent, and if debts exceed that when all is liquidated, then no one else would be responsible for the remaining debts unless there were things like someone had guaranteed the debt, co-signed a loan, was co-applicant on a credit card, etc.

• Like 2

I haven't checked recently, but I believe that in Virginia, you used to be able to take the first $1,000 of estate assets to pay for the funeral.  I don't think you can get much funeral for that, but that is the amount that used to be allowed for a "bankrupt" estate.  After that, everything went to the debts of the decedent.  But I don't think it is automatic that someone is appointed to handle things - I think that someone must petition the court to appoint an administrator.

Unless a probate judge appoints an executor, no one is responsible for filing the return.  Since this person had no assets, most states would not require probate.

In CA the minimum is $150,000 or $50,000 of real estate.

In MS it is $500. 

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/probate-shortcuts-in-your-state-31020.html

Then the Fiduciary form 56 is needed to for the IRS.