ATX Community

when will they create the 'oops - can I get that efile back" button

schirallicpa

I found it by accident... went back into an efiled return; didn't even change anything - but was there longer than auto-save time. Return was "changed" and that caused my efile to reject.  Fine once I resubmitted.  Used it later, though, on purpose for JUST the reason you gave.  Hit the button, and five minutes later an email, "oops we just got" form whatever.  I was SO glad to see that "EF Reject" notice!  

• Like 1

It changes the return on your own computer.  And IF the efile has not gone to the IRS yet (and it does have to be quick), that fact makes ATX reject the efile.

One more reason for me to believe that "server not available" is not just because your computer is communicating only with your hard drive but rather it is in constant communication with the ATX server from the very moment you click on the ATX icon as long as you have Internet connection.

I will try your trick next time I have a not important return.

It changes the return on your own computer.  And IF the efile has not gone to the IRS yet (and it does have to be quick), that fact makes ATX reject the efile.

I have never seen anything stop the efile once I click transmit.  You will need to show me where ATX has published anything that says otherwise.  Once it goes to their server, there is no turning back.

One more reason for me to believe that "server not available" is not just because your computer is communicating only with your hard drive but rather it is in constant communication with the ATX server from the very moment you click on the ATX icon as long as you have Internet connection.

I will try your trick next time I have a not important return.

You just can't accept that fact, can you.

I have never seen anything stop the efile once I click transmit.  You will need to show me where ATX has published anything that says otherwise.  Once it goes to their server, there is no turning back.

I have not used ATX for a couple of years now - so things may have changed.

However, I learned the hard way not even to *open* a return until I got some e-file ack (other than "pending") from ATX - or my e-files ended up rejected.  Call tech support (back when they still answered their phones, so 2009/2010 tax year or something) and they told me that if a return was changed before the IRS drain, their system rejected the e-file assuming the return was no longer as-filed.  It was to protect us from having to amend.  Or some such.

• Like 1

I have not used ATX for a couple of years now - so things may have changed.

However, I learned the hard way not even to *open* a return until I got some e-file ack (other than "pending") from ATX - or my e-files ended up rejected.  Call tech support (back when they still answered their phones, so 2009/2010 tax year or something) and they told me that if a return was changed before the IRS drain, their system rejected the e-file assuming the return was no longer as-filed.  It was to protect us from having to amend.  Or some such.

That whole world disappeared in 2012.  Once you click transmit, there is no stopping the e-file.