ATX Community

Lunar Eclipse

Denne

I took a few minutes to go outside to see what the Lunar Eclipse looked like. It was really very interesting and happened very gradually. It was a neat break every 15 to 20 minutes to see what stage it was in. I didn't have the time to leave the computer to look, but did it anyway! I sure am glad I did. It wasn't the distinct red color I thought it would be, but more of a dusty rose. I hope some of you got a chance to see it too. I also hope you didn't have to stand out in the cold like it is here tonight....in the teens or less ;~(

It was very neat.. I thought about taking photos, and now I regret not doing it.

I also watched part of the eclipse (eventually the need to get to _sleep_ won out), and it was really pretty. But I've tried taking pictures in the past, and they rarely come out to be worth looking at. Unless you set up a telescope, with a 35mm long-exposure camera. We have a friend who belongs to amateur telescope societies and _he_ takes some lovely pictures. But he also does several-minute-long exposures.

Catherine

I also watched part of the eclipse (eventually the need to get to _sleep_ won out), and it was really pretty. But I've tried taking pictures in the past, and they rarely come out to be worth looking at. Unless you set up a telescope, with a 35mm long-exposure camera. We have a friend who belongs to amateur telescope societies and _he_ takes some lovely pictures. But he also does several-minute-long exposures.

Catherine

It was amazing!...and provided a few much-needed breaks from my computer!

It is always neat to see the eclipses. I was able to stand at my front door, inside & warm & watch it.

Husband & I support & are members of a small local observatory that gives a twice a month lecture. Free to members, and $2 for non-mem. It's amazing because after the lecture, we all get to use the telescopes, weather permitting. Someone really advanced will set up the telescope on the most interesting thing in the sky that night. In weather not good for viewing we also have a very fancy planetarium. It can simulate flying off the earth to other locations, changing all perspective of planets & stars that one would see, stuff like that.

For anyone here interested at all in the sky, stars and such, the McDonald Observatory at Austin, TX has a great website, magazine & daily radio program (can listen to on web too). Here's the link to STARDATE: http://stardate.org/

was drifting off to sleep (been sick) but put on my slippers and parka over my nightgown and went out to look. Pretty pink. Didn't return, but saw the bright moon back out my office window much, much later. Wish I'd had a good view from a window earlier when the fun stuff was happening. too cold