ATX Community

What do you like about ATX

rfassett

I like the forms based approach, the price and the way it works. I have used the product since 1999 and it has gotten better every year. I have always thought that the tech support lacked. I remember the year that I had to talk to techs that did not speak good English (India I think). Anyway there have always been problems with the program but the bulliten board is what always pulled me through the tax season. I stopped calling tech support except when I couldn't find the answer on the board. It was a great feature. I rarely posted until last year but often lurked and read other posts. It was a great tool. I was very upsett when the board went down. I evaluated several programs. I still bought ATX because it had more for the price and I like to way it works. The new things I like are the tax prep fee coming over on the invoice and sch a from last year, the state tax refund coming over from last years return (started the year before), and basicly the forms based layout. I think the tech support has most always lacked until you got through to the techs that know the program, however, I think this year is the worst. My two cents....... Nena

I like the forms based approach, the price and the way it works. I have used the product since 1999 and it has gotten better every year. I have always thought that the tech support lacked. I remember the year that I had to talk to techs that did not speak good English (India I think). Anyway there have always been problems with the program but the bulliten board is what always pulled me through the tax season. I stopped calling tech support except when I couldn't find the answer on the board. It was a great feature. I rarely posted until last year but often lurked and read other posts. It was a great tool. I was very upsett when the board went down. I evaluated several programs. I still bought ATX because it had more for the price and I like to way it works. The new things I like are the tax prep fee coming over on the invoice and sch a from last year, the state tax refund coming over from last years return (started the year before), and basicly the forms based layout. I think the tech support has most always lacked until you got through to the techs that know the program, however, I think this year is the worst. My two cents....... Nena

also like the sweet honey glaze....its messy...but boy, is it good!

I like the forms based approach; I used Lacerte when I did contract work for another CPA a couple of years ago, and kept clicking on the forms trying to bunnyhop; all I got were some stupid check marks! The first software I used was Profx at Grant Thornton, which is also interview based but did EVERYTHING; it took some getting used to what ATX did not do, especially with the state forms. However, the states have been getting better every year, and when I asked that CA depreciation flow to the forms, the next year that feature was there. I like the fact that MAX has every form, even though I only do 1040s if I can help it. And my efiling has been smooth as silk this year!

I like the fact that it has almost every form I use, including payroll forms and sales tax forms. I really liked the bulletin board, and did some serious thinking about leaving ATX over that last year. But this board is wonderful, and while it may not have as many professional ATXers as the old board, there are enough people here with enough experience to pull me through. No program is perfect, but sometimes it helps to blow off steam.

I have been using ATX for 5 years. I switched from Microvision when they were purchased by Thompson and raised prices considerably. By the way one of my colleagues who had swithch to Unitax when I switched to ATX has had second thoughts about continuing with them in the future as he has encountered many updates, late compliance, reliability and customer service issues to name a few. I have found ATX to be as dependable and comprehensive as other softwares that I have reviewed such as Lacerte, Drake, Tax Wise, etc. That being said, there is no such thing as a seamless solution, any firm that insists that they have a seamless product I run away from immediately.

Changing software for me as I'm sure with many of us is a big decision as to the learning curve, conversion issues, reliability, work arounds, etc.

Maybe it's me, but I can't comprehend how CCH is prepared to lose so many ATX clients after they paid such a hefty price for them.

I will of course consider changing software should we reach that crossroad. I will review a few of the players after the tax season and report back on the appropriate thread.

Good luck to all of you.

Mike Dubin CPA

I've been using ATX since 99 and overall have been very satisfied. Four or Five years ago the season always started off slowly with lots of problems and calls to support. The last 2 or 3 years the seasons have started quite smoothly and have stayed that way. I average about 1 or 2 calls to support each year and when I finally get a knowledgeable tech the problem is solved right away. This board absolutely helps keep the tech support calls down. I don't know what I would do if ATX went away. Using a non-direct entry system is very unappetizing to say the least. Thanks to all you ATXers for your support of your fellow members year round. Rich.

" I _really_ like being able to "drill down" (i.e. follow the "jump-to bunny") when I have a question as to where number comes from (although I _don't_ like it when the bunny hops in a circle and brings me back to my starting point!). I _really_ like the ..."

My son worked for cch prosystems call center last year. He was told that the main reason cch bought atx was so they could use the bunny in their system.plus they have access to all of us that can't afford and don't need their high priced pro system.

• 3 years later...

I started using ATX late last year when I opened my own practice. I had been in public account for 12 years and had only used Prosystemsfx. I KNEW that I was going to be in for a ride (loved the Profx software and could do just about anything in it!) I looked at the sotware comparisons before I made my choice. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to use Proseries first and demoed Proseries and ATX before making my choice. Proseries was VERY limited. The issue in the software comparison for ATX that concerned me was the "accuracy" rating.

I had worked with four different firms that all used Prosystems (this is the Wolters Klewer product that is considered the premium tax preparation software for those of you who've never used it). The last firm I worked for used it poorly (overriding everything!), so I chalked up the "accuracy" issue related to ATX to users' not understanding taxes in the first place and relying on the program to prepare the return and catch all errors.

So far, I've come to really appreciate the ATX program. It was a learning curve, but I'm hands on, and didn't rely on support. I learn so much better when I have to figure it out. It was my challenge to make sure I didn't use the override and figured out how to get the number I knew was correct to flow through to the form. Each time I figured it out, my confidence in the software notched up....that there IS a proper way to do it. When I used Proseries, I had to "collate" info in that didn't print with the return (e.g., farm schedule in a business). And the intergration to QB was not as seamless as one would hope...I've bridged QB into ATX with very few problems.

My only issues are the depreciation forms (I'm thinking about switching to ATX's depreciation program) and the state returns. These are issues I can live with and tweak as I go forward.

I see so much negative "press" for ATX, but I think the software is GREAT for the price, and it keeps me from being lazy because I want to make sure I know what the return is supposed to do and ensure that ATX is handling it correctly. It's been a puzzle figuring it out all year, but I cannot wait to apply my newfound experience to next tax season!!

"so I chalked up the "accuracy" issue related to ATX to users' not understanding taxes in the first place and relying on the program to prepare the return and catch all errors"

I've used ATX ever since I began computer generated tax preparation. I to have had an overall good experience with ATX, but if you will notice this thread was started in 08. There have been rocking times along the way and since 08. 2010 was overall a good year, and a great time for you to begin, however please do not judge the issues over knowing how to prepare taxes. If you were not using the program when we had issues, you aren't really in a good position to judge.

I'm rarely negative in my replies, but please keep in mind, that many of us that post on this board go way back with the product. We have seen it develop, in fact part of the reason it is such a good product is because they listened to us the user, and made changes accordingly. When it was bought out by CCH the support was horrible or non existent. The issues we had that year had nothing to do with not knowing how to prepare a tax return. They had some major issues! However as time progressed, they started improving and you are seeing the end result, a very good program!

I hope this is the case going forward, however I expect problems along the way just as it has been from the beginning.

Just my two cents worth!

Deb!