ATX Community

What do you like about ATX

rfassett

OK - we are all well into filing season! Let's take an objective look at ATX. We keep hearing what is wrong with ATX. Let's try looking at it the other way. What do you LIKE about ATX? And the word "nothing" does not count. I'll go first. I like the way the little puppy wiggles and kicks his legs when I rub his tummy!

Next?

OK - we are all well into filing season! Let's take an objective look at ATX. We keep hearing what is wrong with ATX. Let's try looking at it the other way. What do you LIKE about ATX? And the word "nothing" does not count. I'll go first. I like the way the little puppy wiggles and kicks his legs when I rub his tummy!

Next?

I like how when you heat it up, it tastes even better than it did the first time!

This is what I posted on 2/9/2008...some of you may think this a joke, but there are many good things to say about the program.....

This may be ill-timed and unnecessary, but with 9 ATX icons on my desktop, going back to 1999; I have to say to all the complainers that my program has never run smoother or more correctly than this year. Every day I find little tweaks that make things easier. The client letter is much more user friendly; the downloads are fast and flawless; even with my slow dialup and forms are opening automatically that you used to have to go after (ie 8880 for instance). After the first time, I have no trouble getting into My ATX, which doesn't mean that I like or condone the new login, but some things you just have to deal with. Did you know that you can still click on the "refund" box in the upper right hand corner to bring up the Tax Summary sheet for new clients. It is automatically rolling over for the the old clients.

I cannot address the support issue because I have never had to call support more than once in a single year. I had my call early on this year in regard to login and was assisted quickly and politely. Other than that, my "support" has always been this Community board and the KB in that order. Kudos to ERC for bringing us all back together and keeping us here. We cannot thank you enough.

If this is ATX's last year, it is a good one. If they go down, I probably will too as I cannot afford more expensive software with my one person in home office. This would, indeed, be unfortunate for my growing client base.

I just want to add to KC's request that the bickering stop, the slurs stop and some of the borderline language should maybe stop also. Let's try to get along, let's try to help each other and let's hope for better days to come; while at the same time appreciating what we have NOW>......

--------------------

;)

Marilyn,

I really like ATX as a program. This year has gone really well for me until last week. I have three returns that have rejected that can not be resolved. The first one, the IRS says has no problems, but the IRS continually rejects it with the same error messages. The other two are state issues that Nebraska says are ATX errors. Lines are not showing up in the E-file. What really bothers me about these two are that they showed as IRS cleared for over a week and then rejected. My clients are expecting their money. I have two incident reports filed with ATX and absolutely no response from customer service. I called again today and while Elaine did everything that she could to help me, she couldn't help me with the bug reports that have been filed. E-filing has made my one person practice so much easier, except when it wastes my time like this.

I like the program. I have been using it since 1993 and I can say that each year, including this year, it has gotten better. What I do not like is the way CCH has done about not following through with what they promise and changing things that they promise. I have had very few problems with the program and have only had to call tech support 2 or 3 times since 1993. Thankfully none this year. I don't prepare a lot of returns, and whenever I have a problem, I usually try to work it out myself. I am a little hard of hearing so I hate telephones. Calling tech support is always the very last choice for me. This board is a tremendous help and when I have a problem, I come here first. I don't do bank products so if ACKS are 2 or 3 days late coming in, it's no problem to me.

If Mel gets his program up and running by next year, I have already determined that I will try that next year. If not, I'll wait and see.

I think just about everyone here likes the program or they wouldn't be here, they just don't like the problems they are having and if they can't be fixed then it will be time to move on.

Gene

Next?

I have a one-person office and evaluated a good half-dozen packages a couple years ago before choosing ATX. I _really_ like the forms-based approach. I _really_ like being able to "drill down" (i.e. follow the "jump-to bunny") when I have a question as to where number comes from (although I _don't_ like it when the bunny hops in a circle and brings me back to my starting point!). I _really_ like the completeness of the forms -- that was the reason for ditching my prior package; there were too many instances of forms I had to fill out by hand because they were just _not_ available.

I was able to do 1099's and W-2's for my corporate clients on-site instead of wrestling with their QuickBooks printing functions; much smoother, better-looking, better form "line-up" -- just better overall.

When I switched to ATX, I was able to _double_ my annual number of prepared returns (and more than double the revenue therefrom) while _lowering_ my stress level significantly _and_ easing my work flow (I think those two are strongly related).

I really hope that CCH keeps the ATX line, at close to the same price level, and doesn't force me out. I can't afford a pricier package for my practice. Drake was the second runner-up in my evaluations - but I really despise the worksheet-based entry system (and lack of "drill-down"!). It is not a good match with how I work and think.

Catherine

I alway have like the program. Like was said above, i really dont have a problem with support because usually i dont have to contact them. the program usually works great and few problems. That is still true today. i think it is a good value for the price and the one thing i actually luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuved about the program was the bulleting board. that was the reason there was no use for tech support. the bulletin board can answer anything. (lets just say that taking it away during april did not make me happy)

i do like the program and will be sad next year.

jeff

I like working directly on forms.

I like KC

I used to like William

I still like Kerry, but he is not part of ATX anymore

I like the price

I like the community

I liked Total Tax Guide for $35

I like e-file (I didn't like it 4 years ago)

I like Eli

I like Alpha

I like Jainen, but don't tell the arrogant stuffed shirt contrarian know it all ;0)

I would like to take a nap.

Tom

Lodi, CA

>>Jainen... the arrogant stuffed shirt contrarian know it all<<

Okay, I'm sorry. I'll send you that thank you letter. It's directly related to what I'm doing at my desk when nobody is looking anyway.

You were not supposed to read that!!!!!!

Anyway, I do like Jainen, and I was just kidding about the rest.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Next?

I like it because it's easy to spell. Atx (they are a little dyslexic, but so am I.)

What Catherine said - exactly!

"I have a one-person office and evaluated a good half-dozen packages a couple years ago before choosing ATX. I _really_ like the forms-based approach. I _really_ like being able to "drill down" (i.e. follow the "jump-to bunny") when I have a question as to where number comes from (although I _don't_ like it when the bunny hops in a circle and brings me back to my starting point!). I _really_ like the completeness of the forms -- that was the reason for ditching my prior package; there were too many instances of forms I had to fill out by hand because they were just _not_ available.

I was able to do 1099's and W-2's for my corporate clients on-site instead of wrestling with their QuickBooks printing functions; much smoother, better-looking, better form "line-up" -- just better overall.

When I switched to ATX, I was able to _double_ my annual number of prepared returns (and more than double the revenue therefrom) while _lowering_ my stress level significantly _and_ easing my work flow (I think those two are strongly related).

I really hope that CCH keeps the ATX line, at close to the same price level, and doesn't force me out. I can't afford a pricier package for my practice. Drake was the second runner-up in my evaluations - but I really despise the worksheet-based entry system (and lack of "drill-down"!). It is not a good match with how I work and think.

Catherine"

I ditto what Catherine says too.

I first used ATX in 1993 or 1994 when I worked for a small firm. At that time it was DOS and truly a PITA to use, but so was ALL software at the time. I had used Lacerte about 5 years prior to that, and thought ATX was a godsend comparatively.

When I started my own home-based "side job" of preparing taxes, I used tedious methods to get a "well known personal tax preparation product" aimed at people who prepare their own taxes, to do taxes for my clients. It made me pull my hair out most times, and involved a lot of copying, whiting out, and copying again to get a "client" copy.

One day, sometime around 1997 maybe?, a little ATX postcard came in my mailbox. Normally, I'd toss away the junk mail I get, but for some reason I read this one. For very little money, I, little me, could get a "real" program? It seemed to good to be true, but I sent away for the information and the test software.

I was sold immediately, and have been with them ever since.

I signed up for eFile the moment it was available. It was TRULY a pain back then. You had to also purchase, or buy into, some Nelco product if I remember correctly, and I do not remember "receiving acks" as we do now. It was more "click and pray".

Overall, I am happy with what I have now in ATX. I am sad it has been sold to CCH, because the Accountant in me just KNOWS that means the beginning of the end. Hate to be a cynic, but I have seen this stuff happen too much.

I hope I am proven wrong.

I contemplated not going with ATX this year because of my fears, but in the end came back and figure I'll be the last to leave the ship if it starts sinking because I do NOT want to deal with the learning curve of another product.

But, if our ATX goes away, I'll be networking with all you guys for what to do next, and will have to leave it up to my clients.....do they want to pay more for me to use another product that costs more, or do they just want to find another preparer? My guess is they will stick with me and I'll be learning a new program.

I pretty much agree with what 'Catherine' said also.

I started with ATX in 1999 and enjoyed the yearly improvements and form based flow.

The few times I had to contact support in the past were always responded to quickly and friendly and problems were fixed almost immediately, even if they had to do with programming. Of course, the ATX Community is where I always go first with problems questions.

I am also a one person office with only 50 or so customers. Tax prep software cost is very important to me.

I hate it that ATX dropped free e-filing and the ATX forum without notice. Had I known in advance I might have opted for the next version up with the free 100 e-filings and all states, the difference in price would offset what it is going to cost me for e-filing this year. I cannot afford a higher priced tax software package.

Of course, this forum is outstanding and I am grateful for all the help I receive here.

I'll wait and see how it goes for the future, but I don't have any good feelings about CCH.

Jerry

I don't have time to say everything I'd like to, but I've always thought the program's positives outweighed its negatives. My problem this year is the understaffing of the tech phone line. Now that I rediscovered the chat room that will be much less a problem for me. As someone said earlier using this format is quicker and usually better than tech support anyhow. Before the old cheerleaders chime in to say tech support is just wonderful and staffed just right, use your head! If CCH hired the proper amount of tech staff, there wouldn't be sooo many complaints about one hour plus waits. By the way I also have discs dating back to 1997.