ATX Community

EIC Cheater

Christian

A new client came in this year having not filed his 2013 as well as 2014 return. He quit his former taxperson and I easily see why. He is twice married and divorced with two children each living with their mother. He has been receiving an EIC evidently for some time but, of course, has now run afoul of Form 8867 with no possibility of showing either child as resident with him. He will likely move on when I give him the bad news. When he does I plan on notifying the Service thinking they may flag his return but know of no fraud IRS number. Any of you have any info on this. Personally I am sick and tired of seeing my tax dollars paid out to these thieves.

• Like 2

I filed this form reporting a preparer who was taking my law enforcement clients by promising bigger refunds.  He was deducting haircuts, meals, and non-existent deductions (ammo never purchased, non-existent magazine subscriptions, etc.) and they always exceeded the 2% floor.  He told them not to worry because it was legit and he had a ruling from tax court that police officers were entitled to a "standard deduction" for employee expenses and no receipts were necessary for expenses under $250.  One officer was smart enough to ask for a copy of the decision and the preparer refused to give it to him saying he had to pay a lot of legal expenses to litigate the matter and he was not going to give it away for free.  Three years later he is still in business and doing the same thing.

• Like 1