ATX Community

K1s issued for IRAs

David

Client has 2 K-1s for PTPs included in his IRA. These are final K-1s.

The K-1s report ordinary business income (loss) in box 1, interest income, dividends, royalties, 1231 losses, and minor amounts of UBTI in box 20 code V ( the net of the 2 K-1s is a loss).

The instructions indicate that since this is a final K-1 and the partnership interest has been terminated, then a gain or loss from the sale of the interest needs to be reported.

The K-1s don't need to be reported since they are related to an IRA account, do they? I don't want the client to get a letter from the IRS regarding unreported K-1 information.

Thanks.

No reporting on the individual's 1040.  But, depending on the levels of UBTI on all the K-1's owned by an IRA, there may need to be reporting by the IRA.  Tell your client to take them to his plan administrator to combine with the other IRA investments.

• Like 3

Actually, I have a client that had one that was a registered tax shelter with low income housing credit .  They saved a bundle in taxes over the years, and I think now they are actually getting a small amount of income from it.  That is the only one I have ever seen that I thought was worth the trouble, and I think that the same situation now would not lead to the same results due to the changes in the tax laws.  But it has given me a lot of respect for the investment adviser that client uses.

• Like 2

I second what everybody is saying, plus I will add that the recipient ID number on all the ones I see are not my clients' SSNs.  That always makes them feel better when I'm telling them, "No, I don't need to amend your return since you got this two days after filing..."  (Every.  Time.  Grrrr.)

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 2

I have many clients tell me how they are making money from them, because of the monthly/quarterly distributions.  Then I show them that it isn't coming from INCOME, but from PRINCIPAL.  Usually 50-60% from Principal.  And I ask them who are they selling these assets to when they want to get out?  That always makes for a great Client "face".

And did we notice how many clients have these K-1's THIS year?  Because the sharp guys on Wall Street were dumping them.  Oil market/prices are going down, so sell these assets that were going up, that are starting to go DOWN, to *our* clients.  Thanks big brokerage firms....  You just stuffed the investment dreams of your clients.

Rich 

• Like 4

I second what everybody is saying, plus I will add that the recipient ID number on all the ones I see are not my clients' SSNs.  That always makes them feel better when I'm telling them, "No, I don't need to amend your return since you got this two days after filing..."  (Every.  Time.  Grrrr.)

​Just be glad they bring them to you, Rita, because the time they don't will almost always be one of the few times they really should have!

• Like 1