ATX Community

Windows 10 Email

GeneInAlabama

I recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 and some things I like and some I don't like.  Windows 10 is very fast.  The biggest problem I have so far is the email.  I had many folders that I saved email in.  One for each accounting client and one for each each tax client that I received emails from as well as other folders.  With windows 10, I haven't found a way to set up additional folders.  Am I missing something?  A google search shows that apparently windows 10 does not allow this.  I searched for software that does allow it and haven't found anything that mentions multiple folders.  Surely I'm not the only one that stores email in organized folders.  Have any of you found a solution to this or software that will handle multiple folders?

It seem like the more I learn, the less i know.  I'm getting to where I'm afraid to learn anything else.

Microsoft says that all your files will be right where you left them.  In my case that was not true.  They were scattered all over the place.  Emails that I had saved in different folders were GONE since W10 does not support multiple folders except for the 7 or 8 regular folders (in box, out box, sent, bulk, etc).  My internet service has been hiccuping lately and it might have flickered during the download.  I don't know if that had anything to with it or not.  I have found that I can move the emails I want to keep to the bulk file and do a search for what I want by putting the client's name in the search box.  I may just have to change the way I do things.  That isn't too easy at age 79.  Overall, I think I will like W10 once I get everything straightened out.  

I am beginning to hate technology.  The horse and buggy days might not have been so bad after all.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, GeneInAlabama said:

--->  Microsoft says that all your files will be right where you left them.  In my case that was not true.  They were scattered all over the place.  Emails that I had saved in different folders were GONE since W10 does not support multiple folders except for the 7 or 8 regular folders (in box, out box, sent, bulk, etc).  My internet service has been hiccuping lately and it might have flickered during the download.  I don't know if that had anything to with it or not.  I have found that I can move the emails I want to keep to the bulk file and do a search for what I want by putting the client's name in the search box.  I may just have to change the way I do things.  That isn't too easy at age 79.  Overall, I think I will like W10 once I get everything straightened out.  

I am beginning to hate technology.  The horse and buggy days might not have been so bad after all. <---

True. 

At least when you spilled a cup of water on a horse, he didn't stop working.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, GeneInAlabama said:

Yes, I was using Outlook  I have always used whatever came with the OS and it has been satisfactory until now.

IIRC, Outlook has always been a part of Microsoft Office, a PAID application.  Outlook Express came for free as part of Windows before Win 7.

Personally I use Chaos Intellect [used to be Time and Chaos] for e-mail, calendar, and contact management.  All my e-mails survived the transition to Win 10.

1 hour ago, Don in Upstate NY said:

IIRC, Outlook has always been a part of Microsoft Office, a PAID application.  Outlook Express came for free as part of Windows before Win 7.

Personally I use Chaos Intellect [used to be Time and Chaos] for e-mail, calendar, and contact management.  All my e-mails survived the transition to Win 10.

Yes, Outlook is part of the Office Suite.  W8 came with a separate mail program.  I assume W10 does too.  I have W8 but don't use that mail program.  I use Outlook.  I didn't have a problem.  Not sure what's going on with Gene.

I tried Chaos Intellect and could not get it to work properly; it was obscenely slow, seized up, and re-downloaded the same messages dozens of times.  So I gave up on that and instead now use something called eM Client which is terrific.  Email, contacts, calendar, tasks, widgets -- integrates seamlessly with the gmail email service that comes with my web site.

28 minutes ago, Christian said:

Microsoft keeps popping up a reminder to upgrade. Like Jack once I get comfortable with my existing Microsoft version I usually put off changing until I need to replace my pc or Microsoft stops supporting what I am using.

Same here.  I don't like to upgrade an existing system.  I usually wait until I get a new system. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies.  I just found Outlook on W10.  It seems to be quite different than the previous Outlook but it does look like I can have multiple folders.  It has gotten to the point that I think I actually spend more time getting my equipment to work properly than I spend doing actual work.  This may very well be my last year preparing taxes, especially since I have recently taken over the additional duties of being a pastor of a small church. 

23 hours ago, JohnH said:

The Win 10  upgrade reminder pop-ups are getting more obnoxious. 

Is there a simple way to kill them?

Uninstall KB3035583

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remove-update#1TC=windows-7

After you uninstall it, go into Windows Update and hide it by right-clicking on it and choosing hide.

• Like 3

On 12/23/2015, 10:11:56, Catherine said:

I tried Chaos Intellect and could not get it to work properly; it was obscenely slow, seized up, and re-downloaded the same messages dozens of times.  So I gave up on that and instead now use something called eM Client which is terrific.  Email, contacts, calendar, tasks, widgets -- integrates seamlessly with the gmail email service that comes with my web site.

Catherine, I downloaded eM Client and it works great.  Thank you so much.

• Like 1