ATX Community

The New Guy is NO MsTabbyKats

MsTabbyKats

Just a bit frustrated here:

In Oct I reported in that I had breast cancer (all is going well on that front) and sold my business.  I was 100% honest with the buyer (he was more anxious to buy than me to sell), showed him the list, the fees...and that the vast majority of my clients were foreign and there would be "foreign issues".

Well, he has no knowledge of foreign issues. I have to explain everything.  Yesterday, it was a W-7.  Plus, unlike me, he does not get back to people within seconds (my clients were really spoiled).

I shouldn't care, because I got paid...but I get complaints...and I feel bad.

And with that....wishing you all a happy and profitable tax season!

• Like 7

You have to let it go, the stress is not good for you.  I too found it hard to end my practice, so many clients were long-time and I liked them personally.  But it's never going to be able to find someone who will do it 'like you did' and 'as well as you did', any way.  ;)  Your health has to be your priority, tho.  

• Like 6

Tabby:

No, he isn't you.  But he bought your clients.  And if he doesn't take care of them, then he threw that money away.

Seriously, its NOT your problem. 

I bought two practices back in 2014. Went through 2015 tax season.  90%-95% retention.  Not bad.  Disappointed I did not get the rest.

But I PAID for them, and I was going to make my money work for me...

If he doesn't.....  Oh well.

Glad your battle with cancer is going well.  My wife is doing well after two years.  No cancer...  Lymphodema, which is a PITA.  but no cancer.

Rich

• Like 3

My clients are also spoiled.  That is going to change somewhat this year.  My excuse is the same as Tabby's; except that I chose to continue in this business despite breast cancer; which also is going well.  I do get terribly tired though and we all know how much worse that is during tax season.  This will be their chance to stay or fly under my conditions.  I refuse to make myself ill in order to make them happy; and most of my clients wouldn't want me to.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

I'm resurrecting this thread only because I need to vent.

In the past few days I got 4 complaints about his lack of response.

But, this morning was the worst.  A long time client, school teacher who itemizes, very nicely just wanted to know the status of her return.  She gave him her papers on 2/1....and he hasn't gotten back to her yet.  She didn't want to rush him....just wanted to make sure he didn't forget her.

Two weeks for a Schedule A .....ridiculous.  Lack of response....unacceptable.  I'd go elsewhere.

Also...I was thinking of taking a cruise on 2/28....but felt a bit guilty (I'd have wifi access) because I would not be available by phone for his questions.  Not feeling that way now.

Thanks for the vent and I re-read all the posts and you 're all right.

BTW- All the e-mails I receive are automatically forwarded to him, so he knows about the complaints.

• Like 1

I have people who came in on Feb 2 whom I have not gotten to yet.  The traffic has been heavy this year and I am determined to prepare the returns in the order in which I received them.  I would not be happy with anyone calling me for their status.  They all know that we will call them as soon as it is ready.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, mcb39 said:

I have people who came in on Feb 2 whom I have not gotten to yet.  The traffic has been heavy this year and I am determined to prepare the returns in the order in which I received them.  I would not be happy with anyone calling me for their status.  They all know that we will call them as soon as it is ready.

Yeah, we all work differently.  "My people" are used to speed and constant communication by e-mail.  This guy doesn't acknowledge receipt!  Anyway, I spoke to him and asked him what I should do when I get a complaint.  He said "tell them to call me"....so that's what I'll do.

• Like 1