ATX Community

1040A / Stimulus payment

Sandy

So this all brings me to my Stimuls Return question.

Husband & wife, age about 50, are both disabled. Only income is SocSec disability - $15K for him and $9K for her. We file a stimulus return for them so they can get their $600.

Now I learn their granddaughter, age 12, lives with them and she receives $8K in SocSec dependent benefits. The check is made out to grandma but the SSA-1099 bears the granddaughter's SocSec#. There is no other source of support for the granddaughter. They're asking if she can file a stimulus return as well.

I'll look it up when I have time, but jsut curious if anyone can give me a quick answer.

If grandaughter is a dependant on their return, grandaughter does not qualify for the stimulus payment

Speaking of the rebates... If DD refund, then DD rebate same info. If no DD now (balance due), then we're to add DD info to return so IRS can send rebate DD? Will that confuse the computers now with the balance due that is NOT direct debit?

New situation, split DD refund with $500 into her IRA and rest into her checking account. Think I remember that IRS will mail a paper check for rebate in that situation, but cannot find it on IRS site now. Anybody else remember an example like this?

That's what I'm struggling with.

Given the numbers, I'm not sure they pay over half her support. She isn't a dependent, because they don't file a normal tax return - they are only filing a "stimulus return". On the other hand, if she is ELIGIBLE to be claimed as a dependent, then she can't file a stimulus return regardless of whether she is actually claimed as a dependent or not.

Why would you need to file a state return with a 'stimulus return'? The stimulus return is one that only has to be filed to claim the stimulus. If there is no state filing requirement, don't file a state return. If there is a state filing requirement, there is probably a federal one too.

Not in Michigan anyway. I file Property Tax Credits and Home Heating Credits for clients all the time. No reason to file a federal return. Only the State Credit forms. And when you complete the Property Tax Credit, the result of the form is transfered to the Michigan 1040. So I would efile a "State Only" return. Now I'm efiling the Federal also, so they can qualify for the stimulus payment.

Speaking of the rebates... If DD refund, then DD rebate same info. If no DD now (balance due), then we're to add DD info to return so IRS can send rebate DD? Will that confuse the computers now with the balance due that is NOT direct debit?

New situation, split DD refund with $500 into her IRA and rest into her checking account. Think I remember that IRS will mail a paper check for rebate in that situation, but cannot find it on IRS site now. Anybody else remember an example like this?

Yes you are correct if refund spilt into 2 or more accounts then paper check. Its in the FAQ of the rebate page.

:dunno: I pretty much don't get this whole thread. In Montana we often efile state-only returns because the filing

threshhold is so much lower than it is on the federal return. So, I have to prepare the federal return for these non-filers

anyway, just to get the amounts to flow to the state return . This year, I just filed both the federal and the state.

Some of them just had SS and a small amount of interest. They were on a 1040, not 1040A, and they didn't have any

notation of "Stimulus Return". They were accepted by the IRS. I'm assuming these folks will get their stimulus payments.

You can send the direct deposit information with a balance due return, but it will have to be mailed. Efiling it WOULD confuse the system. And if there's a balance due, be sure to uncheck the "Stimulus Payment" box if it's been checked.

And I seem to recall that returns sent with DD on an 8888 would be paper-filed.

Found it!

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=179181,00.html

Q. I used direct deposit to split my refund betweeen several accounts when I filed my tax return. What will happen to my stimulus payment? Will it go to just one of the accounts?

A. If you elected to split your refund between several accounts, you will not receive your stimulus payment by direct deposit. Instead, you will receive a paper check.

The check box is at the top of the 1040A Filers Info tab. If checked, it puts the requested "Stimulus Payment" at the top of the 1040A

Thanks, I have prepared a couple of these returns and never saw the box - the program did it on it's own.

I have a few clients that have enough interest to use the Sch. 1 of the 1040 and also some retirement funds. None of these are enough to give them taxable income, but they cannot be efiled using the "stimulus payment" option that allows you to enter bank info for direct deposit on the stimulus payment.

This whole thing is getting to be a big pain in the a--!!!

Which takes us back to the whole issue of how best to file the stimulus payment returns.

I acknowledge how wonderful e-filing is and I don't question its many benefits. This post really isn't to bash e-filing in general (even though I still don't plan to do it until I'm forced to do so).

However, there are enough unknowns about this whole thing that I stick to my contention that the safest way to file a stimulus payment return is a paper 1040A. IRS has issued fairly clear instructions form Day 1 on how the paper stimulus payment claim should be filed, including specific instrutions on how to insure that the rebate is direct deposited.

I expect that many preparers who think they got it right electronically at the outset may find themselve doing some explaining in mid-to-late May. Maybe not, but I really think that will be the case.

Is anyone out there preparing 1040A's for clients with SS? I have a client who doesn't need to file, just has 2 1099R's and SS. No tax liability.... Do I need to enter 1099R info also????

Sandy :huh:

I wanted to efile a 1040A stimulus payment. Stimulus was marked, put ss in, wouldn't efile, then put $1 in interest, still wouldn't efile. Finally I just paper filed. What's the problem? software?, Me? Any suggestions?

I wanted to efile a 1040A stimulus payment. Stimulus was marked, put ss in, wouldn't efile, then put $1 in interest, still wouldn't efile. Finally I just paper filed. What's the problem? software?, Me? Any suggestions?

The software works. But I won't say it's you without more details. : )

How long ago was this?

Have you updated the 1040A and EF Info lately?

What error message did you get?

Was the EF Info in the return?

Was there anything entered for nontaxable social security or nontaxable combat pay?

We can start with those and go from there.