ATX Community

IRS urges pros to verify their EFIN activity

Abby Normal

To ensure an EFIN is not compromised, the IRS said preparers should check their EFIN status page within their e-file application comparing their records to the returns filed to help protect their EFIN. To do this, log into the e-file application through e-services and make sure the summary of the volume and activity of the returns e-filed in the last two years matches the preparer’s own records.

I just did this but I had never done it before. All looked fine!

3 hours ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

Well, please tell me exactly how.  I have not been able to do so.  Perhaps I am choosing the wrong option (story of my life, at times!).

It was a little convoluted getting to it.  Login to eServices.  Left side:  Application; Services:  efile application; choose existing name;  Select EFIN status.

• Like 4

Thanks, Randall.  Now I am having access issues with e-services.  I keep getting an Internal Server Error and have an incident number.  When the help desk calls it seems I'm in the bathroom, getting the mail or otherwise unable to get to the phone.  When I call back, I can only get first tier, they tell me they can't help and I have to wait for the next call.  Grrrrrr....I used to really like e-services.

• Like 1

Take it from someone who has had his EFIN compromised.   If you can check to see if your number of efiles coincides with eservices it will assure you no one is using your number.  I was notified by eservices that I should change my EFIN as there was some suspicious activity, but they wouldn't tell me how they knew or what was happening.  I was given a new EFIN that day and it took about a week to get the letter to change it with ATX and ProSeries.

I was originally notified by a message left on my answering machine with a phone number to call.  I checked my file and it was the eservices number, I was born at night, just not last night.

Crazy world out there.  Stay safe.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 0:13 PM, Janitor Bob said:

data only available for EAs...I guess us lowly PTIN preparers have to just take our chances.

Don't take it too hard; just a few years ago I was as lowly a PTIN as anybody you'll ever meet and only took the EA exam 'cause I was afraid RTRP would throw me out on the street.  My squeaking through (studied months, said a prayer, gave a bum outside the test site ten bucks) brought to mind Groucho Marx's observation: "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would be willing to have me for a member." default_biggrin.png 

Anyway, maybe give it a shot -- it's a great morale booster.  However, as a practical matter, most people think you're either a CPA or you're not. Folks around here figure "EA" is some part of a declension of the verb "eat" (as in "I eat"/ "I et"/ "I done et") -- yeah, I'm kidding, but you get the gist of it.  I wish IRS would call us "Special" Agent or something besides "Enrolled" which sounds like we're still in school.   

As to the EFIN issue, I subscribe to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought (witness the problems other posters mention).  IRS is liable to assign you two numbers and you maybe can't file with either one. 

• Like 2