ATX Community

Gladly pay you Tuesday

ILLMAS

6 minutes ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Very little sympathy for that from me.  My electric company, natural gas company, grocery store, gas station, water department, doctor, electrician, plumber, pharmacy, Wal-Mart all still want paid when service is rendered.

LOL, that's exactly what I was going to say, honestly that's why I don't feel bad about it anymore.

I am going to take the minority approach to the question.  My first reaction was - "no way, Jose!".  Then I stopped and hung a few of my clients names onto your question.  If this has been a continuing client paying pretty much timely and the work was not an over-burden, ie,, over 25 W-2s, I would probably do them gratis.  If the client had been continually late pay and a PITA, I would probably not take his calls. For anyone between those two extremes, I would work something out with the client that was mutually agreeable.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rfassett said:

I am going to take the minority approach to the question.  My first reaction was - "no way, Jose!".  Then I stopped and hung a few of my clients names onto your question.  If this has been a continuing client paying pretty much timely and the work was not an over-burden, ie,, over 25 W-2s, I would probably do them gratis.  If the client had been continually late pay and a PITA, I would probably not take his calls. For anyone between those two extremes, I would work something out with the client that was mutually agreeable.

I agree, it depends on the client.  For example I recently had a very good longtime client who ran in to hard times both personally and in business. I was glad to help her out.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

I had (key word) several clients that had that same excuse year after year.  Yet they lived a lifestyle way above mine.  When I drew the line, they chose to leave.

None of us need or want clients like that, and we are usually glad to see the back of them as they walk away!  Anyone they refer is likely to be as bad or worse, too.  

I have no sympathy for the clients with triple my income, no savings (normal or retirement), huge mortgage payments, and high-end leased cars, who whine about my paltry fee or my expectation of being paid.

• Like 6