ATX Community

Swamped.

BLACK BART

During what seemed like a routine week it hit last Thursday Feb 8 for me.  Every day since then has been more coming in than going out (lots of mine are mail-ins and drop-offs in my mail slot).  

Now if I can just get rid of this case of shingles that reared its ugly head over the weekend... Thank God it's a mild case since I had the vaccine about two years ago.  From what I've seen and heard from others, what I'm experiencing is a breeze.  If you're a seasoned citizen, be sure to get your shingles vaccine.

• Like 4

Judging by the time we're all up and at our desks this is a good sign.  Hope that case of shingles is mild John,  had my shot a few years ago (very important for age 60 and over), so did wife but she did have a very mild case a few years later and never remember her complaining.  She did blame it on the shot though.  Same with flu shot, she got the flu,  now we don't get them and no flu, although I don't go out, I send her to the post office.  Don't forget to wash your hands when you come back in honey.

• Like 4

Yes, I am steady here. Adopted a 10 yr old rescue in November, my first dog in 8 years. She's very docile, a great door greeter. Never barks, and lost an eye to glaucoma last month, so she winks at everybody. It's a great season so far. John, praying for healing for you!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FDNY said:

Judging by the time we're all up and at our desks this is a good sign.  Hope that case of shingles is mild John,  had my shot a few years ago (very important for age 60 and over), so did wife but she did have a very mild case a few years later and never remember her complaining.  She did blame it on the shot though.  Same with flu shot, she got the flu,  now we don't get them and no flu, although I don't go out, I send her to the post office.  Don't forget to wash your hands when you come back in honey.

A lady here drove thru our Post Office yesterday.  Broke the whole front wall out.  My mom heard it on the radio and called me and asked if I was at the Post Office.  

• Like 6

I haven't shoveled my front walk to the mail slot in my door since the last storm, but they do keep coming.

Lost one gal who's life got simpler in semi-retirement, so she's trying it on her own.  Sorry to lose her, but will be even sadder if I lose her dad along with her.  They're both nice to work with and no more than the usual chasing for missing info.  Just lost a more complex couple who took a LOT of time.  They'd moved farther away but like to both interview and then pick-up/review in person each year, which has become a hassle for them to schedule between their trips to FL and medical issues and also a hassle for me to fit them in and VERY time-consuming.  Both very intelligent:  he a banker and mellow and she intense and tracks everything in pencil on dozens of pages, does sum it all up, but even that is a few pages.  I need to tie everything from her pages into their tax returns to satisfy her, including pieces such as medical where some premiums end up on page 1 as SEHI with the excess on A or the LTC that is less than her payment due to IRS chart.  They then take their paper returns home to go over again and either sign/mail or book yet a third appointment to question more details.  (In recent years, I've required third appointments to be AFTER tax season; but that means they chose to mail returns on time and I've been stuck with amendments if they actually had new information for me.)  I can't charge them enough for my time, so I don't think I'll miss them that much, even though I enjoy working with intelligent people.  They always want this mid-February to mid-March time when I need to work on 1065, 1041, and 1120-S returns (not to mention recalculation of their SE payments for January based on her preliminary pages and MANY questions in January when I'm trying to get out W-2s/1099s and payroll reports) so I think I'm fine with them finding someone closer to their home, finally.

In the meantime, a couple of clients have sent referrals and a couple of individuals and businesses have opened new business entities, so I have more clients when I'm old enough that I'd like to lose clients by attrition.  My core clients are just receiving their 1099-Bs and calling.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RitaB said:

We also have more fresh air than most Post Offices, too!  And it really doesn't take that long to make a drive thru, as it turns out.

Sounds like she was unhappy with the recent rate increases.

But the important question is, did she get her mail posted in time for the last pickup of the day?

• Like 4

Most of the payroll returns are done (w-2's and 1099's), although a couple of clients with new contract workers did NOT read my notes about "due 1/31" and just got me info over the weekend.  I have had very few tax returns come in, so far.  In a way it is terrifying, because it just means the onslaught will hit even harder.  But folks here have mainly been digging out from our back-to-back winter storms.  The ones that have come in are mainly done. Always the "missing item x" issues but turn around has been quick because we are not yet swamped.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JohnH said:

Sounds like she was unhappy with the recent rate increases.

But the important question is, did she get her mail posted in time for the last pickup of the day?

Yes.  Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night nor sheets of plate glass could prevent that lady from getting that timely postmark. 

• Like 5

The floodgates opened this week for us.  I have only seen one brokerage statement so far (from Fidelity), and when those hit the mailboxes I expect to be inundated.  Already have a week or two of work in queue and am already yearning for more sleep and more balanced meals.

• Like 3