ATX Community

Neglected to check "Full Year Healthcare" box

Yardley CPA

Dependent in previous years was not a dependent this year.  I completed her return as single but neglected to check the healthcare box.  The return was accepted with messages, informing the website to refer to if healthcare coverage is needed.   The individual was still covered for the entire year under her parent's healthcare plan.  What is the ramification of this?  Is a 1040x warranted in this case or just wait to be notified? 

Why is it not correct for a person who is claiming their own dependency on their return and is covered by the parents insurance wrong if the box is checked to show that she was insured the entire year??   I had a return today that I had not gotten to the line to check to show that a MFJ couple had insurance.  My ATX program had already included a penalty on the return!!  We saw this last year whereas ATX changed several times (back and forth) to include the credit if the box was not checked either by accident or not checking on purpose.

• Like 4

Are we talking about splitting the advanced credit from the exchange? I have not seen any indication of that on the post until WITAXLADY refers to something that smells like repaying the credit.

If I and my wife file a joint a return and my daughter files her own return AND my employer has covered every one, all I have to do is to check the box on each return and that's all. I agree with Cathy that checking the box for the child means "I had health insurance all year" and it only matters when I have to reconcile the advance credit.

• Like 3