ATX Community

Not Tax - New England Vacation Plans

BulldogTom

I am looking for some help from those of you in New England. My wife and I would like to take a mini-vacation to your part of the country over the long 4th of July weekend. I am looking for some ideas on what is "must see". We are thinking of flying from Sacramento into Boston, NY or Philadelphia on July 3rd and leaving on Sunday, July 6th.

What would you suggest to see if this was your only trip to the area in your lifetime? I don't know if we will ever go again, so we want to make it memorable. We will be bringing our 2 boys, ages 12 and 14.

Any help is appreciated.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I am looking for some help from those of you in New England. My wife and I would like to take a mini-vacation to your part of the country over the long 4th of July weekend. I am looking for some ideas on what is "must see". We are thinking of flying from Sacramento into Boston, NY or Philadelphia on July 3rd and leaving on Sunday, July 6th.

What would you suggest to see if this was your only trip to the area in your lifetime? I don't know if we will ever go again, so we want to make it memorable. We will be bringing our 2 boys, ages 12 and 14.

Any help is appreciated.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Tom, Not sure if you remember John Spada, but he seemed really nice and might have some good info for you. I think He was in the Boston area. I'll send you his email in a PM.

Eli

As a lifelong MA resident, I can tell you that without question, the must-see 4th of July event in New England is the Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular on the Esplanande along the banks of the Charles River in Boston. It is an amazing event and one of the biggest (maybe the biggest) July 4th celebration in the country. However, it can be a zoo. There are literally hundreds of thousands of people that go to, and they are usually there all day. That being said, it is a great time and an absolutely amazing show. And if you want to make it even better, rent a boat (or find a friend with one) and watch it from the river. Looking out and seeing all the people on the banks of the river is one of the most surreal experiences you will ever have.

Here is the website:

http://www.july4th.org/

There are also some other great events depending on what part of New England you will be in.

Boston Harborfest - http://www.bostonharborfest.com/ - It's more of an all-week thing than a one day event, but it's a great time if you are looking for stuff to do before and after July 4th.

Bristol, RI July 4th Celebration - http://www.july4thbristolri.com/ - It's the oldest July 4th celebration in the country. It's not as big or as flashy as the Boston events, but it is a really fun time.

In addition, there are local fireworks displays, clambakes and events all over New England, especially at the beaches (Newport, RI is also a great place to celebrate the 4th). But if you are looking for the truly can't-miss, once in a lifetime event, the Boston Pops Esplanade celebration would undoubtedly be way to go.

Tom,

My wife and I are both native New Yorkers so I don't mean to steer you away from our state, but several years ago she and I took a trip to Boston and it was great!!

Seeing the Old North Church, Fannuel Hall, USS Constitution etc. was a wonderful experience. Just a beautiful city and certainly very historic.

I must say though that I did get some strange looks due to the fact that I wore my NY Yankee hat.

Hope this helps

Dave T

Any help is appreciated.

Tom

Lodi, CA

You won't see the Liberty Bell without a side trip; that's in Philadelphia.

However, the fireworks in Boston are pretty amazing. You can see them from the Cambridge side of the river as well as the Boston; there's usually quite a lively crowd of students, alumni, and others from MIT all along Memorial Drive and on the dorm rooftops. But it's much less crazed than the Boston side. And there's a hillside in Arlington that has a lovely (if long-distance) view.

WaterFire in Providence is pretty cool, especially with kids in tow. They have gondola rides along the canal, and these big firepits mid-river with fires after dark.

Whale watches abound and can be a fantastic day trip. They leave from Boston, from Gloucester (gloss'-ter, not glok-is-ter), and Cape Cod.

In Boston proper: Fanueil Hall. Freedom Trail - goes to Old North Church and more. The USS Constitution in Charlestown. Swan Boats at the duck pond (as in "Make Way for Ducklings"). The Duck Boat Tours -- on land _and_ afloat in the Charles River. Museum of Science; very interactive, lots of kid-friendly fun. Battle Road goes through Cambridge, Arlington, and Lexington.

In Quincy (accessible by MBTA) there is the Adams National Historic Site; a lovely property and the home of John & John Quincy Adams (Quincy with a "z" sound, not a "c").

That's what comes to mind off the top of my head. I can get more ideas after 4/15. One thing to keep in mind is that things are smaller scale here; from Boston you can be in Providence or Worcester or Gloucester in about an hour's drive.

Catherine

If you have the time, take a drive up to Maine and have a "lobster dinner". Find one of those restaurants right at the pier where the boats come in. Very Quaint! and Delicious!

When we were their you could get a "twin" maine lobster dinner. for about 15.00!!

That is for TWO maine lobsters, boiled potatoes, and corn on the cobb. Served on paper plates, casual but good.

I hate to disillusion you but Caribou Maine is about 6 hours inland from Boston--been there, done that. The lobsters are along the coast. Can't recommend any restaurants because it has been too many years since I've been there.

I would recommend a trip to Plymouth to visit Plimoth Plantation. I found that to be a very interesting place.

All the places mentioned in Boston are certainly worth a visit. Great place to visit, lots to see.

Well then break out your mapquest....here is the tentative itinery.

July 2 catch plane at 10PM in San Francisco

July 3 arrive at La Guardia in NY at 7:30 AM. Rent Car and drive to Plymouth Ma to see the Mayflower site. Lunch in Plymouth. Drive past Boston to Kennebunkport ME. Play on the beach and have dinner on the pier. (can you camp on the beaches in ME?) Spend the night somewhere between Kennebunkport and Boston.

July 4 In Boston. Freedom Trail, North Church, Science Museum, etc. All day doing the Tourist thing. Fireworks that night on the Esplanade. Spend the night somewhere between Boston and NY.

July 5 in NY. Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, and if I can talk my wife into it (and if I can get tickets) Yankees and Red Sox. If not, a matinee on Broadway.

July 6 fly back to San Francisco and drive home.

Anything I am missing or should be adding?

I am still open to other ideas.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Boys would love the Liberty Bell, and there's a great science museum there, very hands on. Boys would also love the Boston Pops and putting their history in context around the Boston area. As much as I love Newport, RI, for boys I'd do Mystic Seaport, CT, instead. An amazing aquarium/amusement park with rides or get in the water with a dolphin and the Seaport with tall ships and Long Island Sound beaches and.... Go up to Gillette Castle where an actor designed a different wooden lock for each door and set up elaborate reflecting decor to spy on anyone who came to his door or guests who went into his liquor cabinet. Williamsburg, VA, is also very hands on for boys; and you can always treat them to Bush Gardens before you go home!

All great ideas, my only input would be to remind you not to get locked into a schedule. If the boys totally get entranced by any specific thing, like the interactive museum, for example, don't yank them away just 'to keep on the schedule. You want the trip to be a wonderful memory, and that requires some flexibility. If they have fun, plenty of good fun food, and your attention, they will be talking about that trip fondly for many years.

Suggest you fly into Boston instead of LaGuardia, if you have nothing planned enroute to Plymouth. That's another 4 1/2 hr (without stops) added to your travel and taken away from your vacation. After flying cross country, that would make ME cranky.

Wendy

Suggest you fly into Boston instead of LaGuardia, if you have nothing planned enroute to Plymouth. That's another 4 1/2 hr (without stops) added to your travel and taken away from your vacation. After flying cross country, that would make ME cranky.

Wendy

Unfortunately, the increased cost of flights to Boston vs NY out of SF makes La Guardia the more attractive choice (even at $4/gal gas). But we will be looking at flights again as we get closer. Also, we will be spending one day in NY, so we will be making that trek one way or another. I will sleep on the flight and be fine to drive. Thanks for the post.

Tom

Lodi, CA

How far up into Maine do you need to go? I love the idea of a nice lobster dinner, and cheap too! Maybe the Monkeyman or some of the former ATX employees can give me an idea of a good place as close to Boston as possible?

Thanks and keep the ideas coming.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Hey Tom,

Great to hear you will be up in Maine this Summer.

You don't need to go that far up in Maine to get to the "good" places to get great seafood.

Old Orchard (near Saco) is very nice, but kinda "touristy". I am a natural born Maine-iac and we still go there most Summers because it's fun and there is A LOT to do in that area.

Your boys can chase the girls on the beach while you and Patty have a cocktail on the pier.

As the other poster said, don't go to a restaraunt to get lobster. They cook the lobster ahead of time, freeze it, and then re-steam it before serving it to you.

Go to the small lobster pounds, where they boil your lobster in seawater in large outdoor kettles.

These places allow you to pick and pay for the lobster you want,

instead of paying $60 for one that you will have no idea how big it is.

If you want to visit Caribou, it is at least a 5 hour drive from the coast until you exit I-95 at Houlton, then bang a left and drive for another hour. We will probably still have snowbanks :blink:

Have fun!

Monkeyman

Monkeyman,

Don't think we can make it that far north in the short time we have. I would love to just go driving up there for a week or two in the fall.

Is Kennebunkport a good place to stop for a afternoon and lobster on a wharf? I looked a few webpages and it looked interesting and they said it was a fishing port. Is this all true?

And Patty does not drink, so I will be solo on the cocktails, but I have a permanent designated driver.

How are the girls?

Tom

Lodi, CA

Unfortunately, the increased cost of flights to Boston vs NY out of SF makes La Guardia the more attractive choice (even at $4/gal gas). But we will be looking at flights again as we get closer. Also, we will be spending one day in NY, so we will be making that trek one way or another. I will sleep on the flight and be fine to drive. Thanks for the post.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Tom, have you checked Southwest flying into Providence, RI or Manchester, NH? Providence is only about 45 minutes south of Boston (and only about 2 hours north of NYC) and a very easy airport to get around. Manchester is about 1 1/2 hours north of Boston and is also a small airport to get around.

Monkeyman,

Don't think we can make it that far north in the short time we have. I would love to just go driving up there for a week or two in the fall.

Is Kennebunkport a good place to stop for a afternoon and lobster on a wharf? I looked a few webpages and it looked interesting and they said it was a fishing port. Is this all true?

And Patty does not drink, so I will be solo on the cocktails, but I have a permanent designated driver.

How are the girls?

Tom

Lodi, CA

Kennebunkport is very nice and higher-class than Old Orchard. You will get very good food and service there. George H. W. Bush has a Summer home there (that's the town where Junior got his OUI). It is a beautiful town and a popular attraction - very classy.

The girls are so great that it breaks my heart. Cora LOVES her baby sister and there is no jealousy at all. Gwen is trying very hard to talk and says "Hi" and "Dada".