ATX Community

TP living with a girlfriend

helow

>>I am thinking of HH but want to double check<<

I recommend you double check the instructions to Form 1040 as there are a number of qualifications you haven't addressed in this thread. Two things you have addressed are whether the mother is working and whether the father supports the baby, but neither of those facts has the least bit of relevance to filing status.

He did say the mother wasn't working & he provided more than half the support. So question is, is he providing over half the support of the household & is it his baby? did he & the mother live together the whole year? if he is supporting her 100%, maybe she is dependent too.

>>What is his filing status.<<

Based on all you have told us, his filing status could be Single, MFJ, MFS, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widower.

HUH???

How do you see MFJ, MFS or Qualifying Widower. Am I getting old?Oh yea, I am... but New Tax? Is this like New Math?

And a W-7 is an Application for and IRS Individual TIN. So I presume she does not have a residency status that allows her to work here, as we all know you can't work legally using a TIN.

(SEC - YELLING AT MY SECRETARY - SHUT UP BENITA, I am not speaking to immigration here and yes I will pay you this week. lol)

Head of Household Generally, you may claim head of household filing status on your tax return only if you are unmarried and pay more than 50% of the costs of keeping up a home for yourself and your dependent(s) or other qualifying individuals.

So, his baby she can't work as doesn't even have an SS# let alone TIN, she has no income, and he contributed more than half the support.

So, HOH seems like the logical choice.

and maybe he can claim her as a dependent as well! Looks like she qualifies. I claim all my illegal immigrants living with me. (Sorry Sec Again - SHOUTING AT SECRETARY AGAIN - SHUT UP BENITA, I am going to claim you again this year!)

Joel

You should mention how much he made so we can suggest you the best course of action. If he made $6K, there is no need to even mention the ITIN on the thread. If he made $20K, maybe. If he made $30 and paid more than $15K on mortgage interest, there is no need to mention the mother. As you can see, I am assuming a lot of things here, since the question came from a TAX PROFESSIONAL, it also bothers me the fact that you do not put all related matters on the table.

You file as HH (based on the information you have tea-spooned out from the barrel). He is living with his child and he is providing more than 50% of his/her support. Again, if he made less than $10, it does not matter if he files HH or single with one dependent. Also, if he made $20K and paid $12K on mortgage interest and $2K on real estate taxes, it doesn't matter if he files HH or single with one dependent.