ATX Community

parents house sold

WITAXLADY

20 years ago parents "sold" house to 7 children for $1.  Children sold house now as mom recently passed, been living there.

one sibling gathering all improvements to add to basis  - that the parents all paid for when they lived there -

Property tax is listed as ETAL

Title company said no tax consequence, lo and behold they all get a 1099...

I asked to see deed? Something needs to be filed.

Life Estate and inherited or cost basis from parents from 20 years ago?

When my daddy died 19 years ago, he left each of 5 children $2000. The first $1000 came right away, the second a year later.

I took the first $1000 and bought a printer and a laptop, and made a spirit promise to my daddy that I would one day earn enough money to support myself. 

I started with less than 50 clients. I have over 500 today. 

I don't know what I would do if I had parents who gave me a house. I'd probably be homeless by now. 

Thanks, Daddy. I know you're proud of your "Possi." (The nickname he gave me)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, WITAXLADY said:

20 years ago parents "sold" house to 7 children for $1.  Children sold house now as mom recently passed, been living there.

If mom remained in the home, I think you have an implied life estate, but others know a lot more than I do about that.

• Like 3

Haven't done one of these in years. I think -- without having done any research recently on this topic --  that since mom passed with a life estate, this acts like any inheritance. If mom were still alive with a life estate and a house sale, then I think the calculations are necessary to attribute to mom and to kids. You're going to need to research, sorry!

• Like 1

Rita and Gail are correct.  If mom lived in the home, paid the bills, etc., there was an implied life estate.  IRC Section 2036 states that such "paper only" transfers are subject to estate taxation.  Property included in an estate is assessed at fmv on date of death, which is what the heirs inherit as their basis.

• Like 1