ATX Community

Signing the 1040 when filing as surviving spouse

RitaB

So, I have this surviving spouse that is going to have to sign 2018 and 2019 Forms 1040 and mail them because she has poked around until now, and after the husband died in Jan 2021, to get me the information to finish the returns.  I can't e-file.  I am sorry to confess to you all that I am unsympathetic, but she first came in my office October 2019 crying, "Can you get this [2018 return] done before the deadline so we won't to jail?"  And she called crying April 14 ish, 2020, "Can you get me an extension for 2019 so we won't go to jail?  And tell me what to pay in?"

She just gave me the missing information I was waiting on to finish 2018 on 3/16/21 because she wants PPP funds, and I told her I'm completing both returns, not just giving you a 2019 Schedule C.

My question, and I do have one, is does she cram her signature above the typed "filing as surviving spouse" and inside spouse's box, or does she sign inside the box for "Your signature"?  (Where husband would normally sign.)

• Like 1

The "filing as surviving spouse"  should be in the deceased person's signature line.

the line for the signing spouse should be open

Did you perhaps enter the the date of death for the wrong spouse?  ( I started to say: Did you kill of the wrong spouse.  but that seems too harsh even for a whiny procrastinator)

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Hahn1040 said:

The "filing as surviving spouse"  should be in the deceased person's signature line.

the line for the signing spouse should be open

Did you perhaps enter the the date of death for the wrong spouse?  ( I started to say: Did you kill of the wrong spouse.  but that seems too harsh even for a whiny procrastinator)

Oh, you know what I did?  When the error message said you can't e-file when the taxpayer croaked way after this &^*% thing was due?  I switched and made her taxpayer.  Same *&^% message for the spouse croaking way after this &^*% thing was due.  I forgot to switch the date of death.  

My bad, everybody.  I'm losing it.

Thank you, I am laughing.  😂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, RitaB said:

Oh, you know what I did?  When the error message said you can't e-file when the taxpayer croaked way after this &^*% thing was due?  I switched and made her taxpayer.  Same *&^% message for the spouse croaking way after this &^*% thing was due.  I forgot to switch the date of death.  

My bad, everybody.  I'm losing it.

Thank you, I am laughing.  😂 

Gee, Rita, you don't have anything else going on right now but this one tax return to do, right?  In late March, early April I am sure we all work on one return until it is finished completely, then put it away and work on the next one.  And we get them all done the same day we start them.  Right?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Gail in Virginia said:

Gee, Rita, you don't have anything else going on right now but this one tax return to do, right?  In late March, early April I am sure we all work on one return until it is finished completely, then put it away and work on the next one.  And we get them all done the same day we start them.  Right?

Exactly.  

ducks.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 3/19/2021 at 1:14 PM, Abby Normal said:

So WOAT is the opposite of GOAT? I did not know that!

Yes.  Also.  A good thing to do, when I've just finished your 2018 return that I started in October 2019, is not bring me two 2018 LPL Financial 1099s when you drop off 2019.   This will guarantee you WOAT status among clients.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 3/18/2021 at 5:18 PM, Gail in Virginia said:

Besides, every client always says “My situation really isn’t all that complicated.” We can believe them. And all you need to do is press a button to send it - right? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

There was a great cartoon I saw, some years ago (and of course can't find it now).  The caption read, "How tax software is supposed to work."  The drawing was a computer with a huge hopper above the monitor, and the person was dumping paper in the hopper.

I swear that's what our clients think we have.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2