ATX Community

IRS improves services to taxpayers with digital authorizations and launch of new Tax Pro Account

Elrod

IR-2021-154, July 19, 2021

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service today launched a new feature that will give taxpayers digital control over who can represent them or view their tax records, a groundbreaking step in the agency's expansion of electronic options for taxpayers and tax professionals.

The new feature, one of many recent enhancements to the Online Account for individuals, will allow individual taxpayers to authorize their tax practitioner to represent them before the IRS with a Power of Attorney (POA) and to view their tax accounts with a Tax Information Authorizations (TIA).

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-improves-services-to-taxpayers-with-digital-authorizations-and-launch-of-new-tax-pro-account

• Thanks 3

I took their pre rollout webinar about a month a go. This will be a gradual rollout with incremental improvements.

In the beginning it will only apply to individuals and Form 1040. First, your clients will have to set up a "Secure Access" account,

so this may not work too well with your clients who are not computer savy.

This is going to be an epic fail by the IRS.   The security protocols will make it unusable.   The IRS has a hard enough time giving access to the data in a taxpayers account to the taxpayer, let alone trying to link an outside party to the account as well.   With the password change requirements and the 2FA that will be required, it is never going to happen.   In my opinion, this will last until the first taxpayer complains to their congressman about it.

Tom
Sparks, NV

• Like 2

You may have noticed that their basic CP notices now have QR codes on them. They will be pushing CP Notice recipients to download  an IRS App and use AI Bots

to handle standard notices without human intervention. It may fail, but it's clear to me that the IRS is totally committed to this direction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbslee said:

I have several clients whose cell phone is an addtnl line on a relative or a friends account, in which case setting up secure access will fail,

since the name and the address on the cell phone account will not match.

But anyone who fails online can receive a letter in the mail with a code to finish setting up the account. I had to do this for someone whose credit had a freeze placed. No big deal.

• Like 2

I keep asking for my letter, but it never comes! I read that only 30% of taxpayers will be able to establish an account. I cannot; neither can my husband.

Did you notice that there are no longer IRS telephone numbers in the upper right hand corner of IRS notices. Taxpayers have no choice but to go online.

Lets make it harder and harder for taxpayers to pay, get information, or get help. Until we tax preparers are swamped with phone calls from our clients and nonclients who can't reach the IRS. What will the IRS do when we all retire?!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3