ATX Community

Client Transcripts

Yardley CPA

In the past, there has been discussion on client transcripts in this forum.  I have never had the need to pull a transcript.  I see it can be done through e-Services.  I assume it's a fairly straight forward process?  How long does it take to obtain the transcript? I see it's sent to my e-Services secure mailbox.  What do I need in order to do that?  A POA or an IRS form that the client provides to me?

I appreciate any insights. 

Thank you. 

14 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

Wait. You've never pulled a transcript?! We do it all the time. Transcripts are instant on eservices but you need a POA on file to get them. The whole 'it's too big so we sent it to your mailbox' is just stupid. When you go to your mailbox you download it just the same as if it downloaded the first time.

I've never pulled a transcript.  I want to get that monkey off my back though.

Once you get the POA, you have to upload it to the e-Services site as part of the process?

55 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

you need a POA on file to get them.

Abby, what is your method to have the POA on file with e-services. Are you doing that online that requires the taxpayer's to have their own online accounts to electronically sign them, or are you faxing or mailing them in?

Does your firm have some standard practice of requiring POAs of your clients?

The CPA in the office next to mine (a world class jerk so keep that in mind) requires all clients to sign a POA every other year and charges everyone $125 for that "service". Sometime over the summer he has his grand daughter come in and scan each and fax them to the IRS. If it's this year, he does the POA for tax year 2021 and 2022. In 2024 he does it for tax year 2023 and 2024.

1 hour ago, jklcpa said:

Abby, what is your method to have the POA on file with e-services. Are you doing that online that requires the taxpayer's to have their own online accounts to electronically sign them, or are you faxing or mailing them in?

Given that my Secure Access account will shortly be no longer accessible due to the new ID.me requirements, I will be mailing these in.

20 minutes ago, mcbreck said:

The CPA in the office next to mine (a world class jerk so keep that in mind) requires all clients to sign a POA every other year and charges everyone $125 for that "service". Sometime over the summer he has his grand daughter come in and scan each and fax them to the IRS. If it's this year, he does the POA for tax year 2021 and 2022. In 2024 he does it for tax year 2023 and 2024.

Wow, another revenue enhancement opportunity💥

• Haha 1

I used to use eServices. Then at some point, the IRS said there is "something in my file" that prevents me from holding an eServices account. I really miss it. I have a small clientele, so didn't need transcripts often. But when I did back when I had an eServices account, I could go online pull the transcripts, and see them immediately -- when I had a 2848 on file. (Way, way back, I could enter the 2848 on eServices and pull right then; but probably too many entered 2848s that didn't have the signed hard copy and lost that privilege for all of us -- IRS claimed they dropped that because not many used it. Now there's the "new" online 2848 method, but I can't do that either.) Someday when IRS Service Centers are open again (although, the nearest one is several towns away) I'll go in person to see what can be done. No one can tell me "what" is on my account that prevents me from identifying myself. I unfreeze my credit reports for them. They say my cell is not in my name; AT&T says it's been in my name since the 80s. But real live human beings (back when you could get one on the phone) couldn't adjust my "account" so I can use it.

Register for an eServices account right now before you get too busy. And send in 2848s or 8821s as soon as you suspect you might need them (because it still takes time to process them). Try it; you'll like it. It's faster than if you have to talk each client through the process of opening their own accounts and downloading their own transcripts to give you.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jklcpa said:

Nope. I still fax them in because it's easier and takes less time. I asked someone at the IRS if the new uploading system would get the POA entered more quickly and was told, no. All POAs go into one queue whether faxed or uploaded, so I always choose the path of least resistance, and least effort.

I email POAs to clients for them to print, sign, scan and return to me (or drop off). Then I fax to the CAF unit.

• Like 3

I'm curious about something.  I operate as a non LLC sole-proprietor.  Several years ago I got an EIN so as not to have my social on client computers.  The 1099's issued to this number do not show on my wage and income transcript.  Clients don't get a mismatch report for using the EIN and my name. 

Do IRS computers match these up anywhere?  If not it seems like an easy way for crooks to commit fraud.