ATX Community

April 15? Will the date be extended?

Yardley CPA

I know some states have extended their due date for filing returns.  Has anyone read/heard of any potential federal extension?  I'm hoping if that is the decision the government is moving toward, they make the announcement sooner versus later so we can plan accordingly.  It's only mid-February and this tax season already feels way too long.   

• Like 2

I've not heard, but I am hoping for another month.  Cuts down on the first timers "you're getting an extension, I get one for myself, here is a paper sack to breathe into..." talk.  Which takes time.  Bags are cost of business.  But time is gold.

I have a stack waiting on either 8606 or 8915-F.  Two partnerships that probably don't need K-2 or K-3 (and I know there's some relief or other coming so I'm probably good). 

I know some hate for the season to be extended, and if I felt that way, I'd just carry on as usual like the due date is April 15.  It would still be a PITA because nobody has time to notify dozens of stragglers, so I understand both views here. 

My view is more important to me because, you know, me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, cbslee said:

Hey, we've got 3 extra days this year , April 18th🙃

I cannot believe the number of places that require the taxpayers to print off their own 1099s.  I have several that are already filed and then come in and say that they just got another letter and/or need to print something off and then they expect ME to drop everything and print it off for them because they conduct all of their business on their phones.  I actually cried real tears this morning and now my rant is over.  Besides that, MY phone crashed on the latest update and all I can use it for is a phone.  (Well, I guess that makes sense) but many of my clients make appointments on the phone on my business page. 😢

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cbslee said:

Yeah I have a client that every year receives an email telling him that his 1099 is available.

Does he download and forward it to me? No!

Some people suck at "computer things." I have clients that just give me their login info so I can download it for them. And I don't mind that one bit, because I have clients who print their 1099s in portrait mode when they should be in landscape, making them hard to work with. Why they just can't save the download is beyond me.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

April 18th Patriots' Day

This year it's also Autism Awareness Day, Easter Monday, National Animal Crackers Day, National Linemen Appreciation Day (wires, not sports), and National Velociraptor Awareness Day.

The way things are going, I'll be Animal Crackers cuckoo for Cocopuffs after this season is over. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Maybe it was a DC holiday that sometimes falls on the Monday when tax season is supposed to end? And maybe they got rid of or moved that holiday?

Just found it! Emancipation Day is April 16th, and sometimes that extends tax season by a day, when the 16th is a Sunday or a Monday.

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/emancipation-day-dc

• Like 1

When you go to a lot of financial sites, a pop-up shows you agree to receive everything electronically.  You have to uncheck it, but first you have to notice it.  I don't think all these places require clients to print their own, but defaults them to that place.  And then there are the banks that charge you for a paper statement (the same ones paying .0000001 percent on savings).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

12 hours ago, Sara EA said:

When you go to a lot of financial sites, a pop-up shows you agree to receive everything electronically.  You have to uncheck it, but first you have to notice it.  I don't think all these places require clients to print their own, but defaults them to that place.  And then there are the banks that charge you for a paper statement (the same ones paying .0000001 percent on savings).

This is one of my pet peeves. These institutions reduce their expenses by not having to mail bills, statements and other documents.

I have never been offered a  bonus, a discount, a credit or any kind of reduction in my bill for agreeing to electronic receipt!😠

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Lion EA said:

DC's Emancipation Day moves Tax Day to 18 April 2022. If you file in MA, such as MA and ME, then Patriot's Day moves Tax Day to 19 April 2022.

They're actually doing Emancipation Day of Friday the 15th of April in 2022, so it has no effect this year. I think if 4/16 was on Sunday, they would move it to Monday, and then tax season would end on Tuesday the 19th.

15 minutes ago, cbslee said:

This is one of my pet peeves. These institutions reduce their expenses by not having to mail bills, statements and other documents.

I have never been offered a  bonus, a discount, a credit or any kind of reduction in my bill for agreeing to electronic receipt!😠

Well, I much prefer downloading all of my documents for numerous reasons. It saves paper, ink, fuel and time. It's better for the environment. It saves me having to scan it and then shred it. A downloaded PDF is much preferable to a scanned PDF. I get my documents sooner and don't have to worry about them being delivered to the wrong address. I get neighbors mail from time to time.

And I don't mind that it saves the company money, because that means they might not increase any fees they charge.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

They're actually doing Emancipation Day of Friday the 15th of April in 2022, so it has no effect this year. I think if 4/16 was on Sunday, they would move it to Monday, and then tax season would end on Tuesday the 19th.

Wait, it has no effect this year? But Tax Day is NOT Friday the 15th of April but Monday the 18th of April, so that seems like a 3-day effect to me.

Anyway, I was just bemoaning CT no longer filing via Andover so losing Patriot's Day and the move to Tuesday the 19th of April for a couple northeast states, but not for CT.

1 hour ago, cbslee said:

Years ago, when People's Bank started online banking, they offered a nickel for every online transaction, maybe for a year. I made some money paying all my bills online and transferring between my savings and checking accounts, probably for direct deposits, too. And, I saved monthly fees for decades by having direct deposit (you could also eliminate monthly fees by keeping a certain balance and maybe another option or two). But more recently, People's added a $3 paper statement charge, so I now download my monthly statements also to avoid that charge.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

And I don't mind that it saves the company money, because that means they might not increase any fees they charge.

Given the price increases I have observed the last few months and the the fact that most of the Fortune 500 are making record profits,

that is not apparently happening.

• Like 3