ATX Community

I FINALLY HAVE DSL

mcb39

Many of you have heard me say often over the years that nothing other than dialup service was available to me in the small portion of the suburban (rural) area where I live. WELL......last week I was checking around and found out that my dialup ISP was offering DSL and that I qualified for it. Still don't know why because none of my neighbors qualify as yet. However, I have it up and running as of Thursday night and it is wonderful. The installation was flawless and so far so good. I was able to update ATX in the blink of an eye whereas I used to have to walk away; get ready for bed, cook a meal or something while the download took place. I know this doesn't mean much to most of you; but to me it is a windfall and a great occasion.

Yay! Congratulations!

I used dialup when my business was in my front room, but have been using dsl since '03, and I agree completely. I still have dialup at home...when I have a computer there. The internet is a whole different thing when you don't have to wait for the phone company.

If this magicjack thing is half as good as advertised, I may even splurge and get dsl at home now, so I can use it there. But I'll test it at the office first.

Many of you have heard me say often over the years that nothing other than dialup service was available to me in the small portion of the suburban (rural) area where I live. WELL......last week I was checking around and found out that my dialup ISP was offering DSL and that I qualified for it. Still don't know why because none of my neighbors qualify as yet. However, I have it up and running as of Thursday night and it is wonderful. The installation was flawless and so far so good. I was able to update ATX in the blink of an eye whereas I used to have to walk away; get ready for bed, cook a meal or something while the download took place. I know this doesn't mean much to most of you; but to me it is a windfall and a great occasion.

I got DSL as soon as it was available (which was coincidentally right at the time I was starting my biz at home and started efiling) and just upgraded to a faster speed. I remember the first time I ever got on the internet and it took 20 minutes for a page to download (circa 1995) and now I get antsy if it isn't instantaneous. US internet is utterly pokey by the rest of the techno world from what I hear; in Japan speeds 4X as fast as what we get is routine.

My town only had dial-up. I used it for years. Road Runner became available Mar 14, 2001. Mine was connected one week later. I was the 10th person to sign up. Talk about speed shock!! I went from being able to download at 4kbs to 450kbs. I will never live without High Speed again!!

I hope I never have to. After only four days, I am living in fear that they are going to "take it away". Of course, I don't expect to get much work done for a few days. Thank you all for understanding.

I hope I never have to. After only four days, I am living in fear that they are going to "take it away". Of course, I don't expect to get much work done for a few days. Thank you all for understanding.

I know what you mean. We just got DSL albeit the slowest speed but that was all that was available. We live too far from the main "switch" to get the fastest speed. It is so much better than dialup and cheaper than Hughes.net which I had for last two years at $100 a month after paying $900 for install and dish.

My daughter who lives not far from me in a small town where Verizon has exclusive coverage contacted Verizon and they informed her that her small town will never get DSL due to too few customers. She is really bummed.

Isn't it amazing how quickly we adjust to DSL and how we cannot imagine ever going back to dialup? Congratulations!!!

My daughter who lives not far from me in a small town where Verizon has exclusive coverage contacted Verizon and they informed her that her small town will never get DSL due to too few customers. She is really bummed.

Isn't it amazing how quickly we adjust to DSL and how we cannot imagine ever going back to dialup? Congratulations!!!

Have your daughter keep a look out for Clearwire. We were told the same thing about DSL and Cable, not in our lifetime, but Clearwire came in. Now we have broadband, faster than basic DSL. Clearwire uses cell towers and we never have had a problem AND it took about a minute to install and equipment was free. Cost is around $45.

I know what you mean. We just got DSL albeit the slowest speed but that was all that was available. We live too far from the main "switch" to get the fastest speed. It is so much better than dialup and cheaper than Hughes.net which I had for last two years at $100 a month after paying $900 for install and dish.

I also have the slowest speed; but is amazingly faster than dialup. We were also told by Verizon that we would never have it, but it is coming in (basically through the back door) as they have a "secret" switching station in our area. I was all set to go with Verizon when I discovered that my ISP had the service (Juno) which allowed me to keep the same address, etc; plus I have liked their email format for years and have even bought stock in the company. BUT, I never knew what I was missing until now.