ATX Community

Good news for ATXers !!!!!!!!!

kcjenkins

This is a snippet from an email from a friend who still works for ATX, in program development. It should hopefully reassure those of you who want to stay with the program, but are worried about getting shafted at the last moment. Which I guess is most of us!

"I want to assure you that we are truly hard at work this summer trying

to improve our product. We have a team of tax managers that spend the

summer analyzing the forms that they are responsible for, considering

improvements to the forms (many of these suggestions come from our

users), and working with developers to implement the improvements.

Contrary to what you might hear, we really do listen to our customers.

I was an ATXer long before I came to work here, and I'm as frustrated

as everyone else with some of the changes that CCH has made. However,

there are exciting things in the future coming as well, and I

personally feel that those who hang in there with us will have a better

product in hand.

Finally, in case you are wondering, CCH is very happy with both our

product and our sales and renewal numbers. They are solidly behind the

ATX product line. Of course, a mass exodus could change all that, but

things are really looking good for now, in spite of this year's

problems.

There are still a lot of competent, caring people in customer support;

they're just different competent, caring people. This year was a zoo

while they were trying to learn a new program on the fly, but they did

a wonderful job in a very trying situation. Unfortunately, the outcry

of the bad is much louder than the good. The good news is that the

dust has now settled, and I doubt that we will be bought out again

anytime soon."

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a snippet from an email from a friend who still works for ATX, in program development. It should hopefully reassure those of you who want to stay with the program, but are worried about getting shafted at the last moment. Which I guess is most of us!

"I am so glad to get that assurance about ATX. I trust your insight and will renew. I dreaded the thought of breaking in a new program.

Thanks KC

>>I'm as frustrated as everyone else with some of the changes that CCH has made. However, there are exciting things in the future coming as well<<

Probably exciting TaxWise things.

Hope your naive friend is not included in the next wave of layoffs.

Nope, the programmers for the two different programs are totally different, Jack. As are the programs. As long as the program continues to sell, it makes no sense to think they will dump it, since they are basically aimed at two different segments of the market. ATX is basically strong with the smaller firms and sole prop independants, while TaxWise's main market is the IRS and chain type businesses. There are plenty of us to keep ATX going strong, and I think that CCH has learned some things from their goofs during the first year. Hey, we all have to keep learning and adapting, because the world itself does change constantly. No one could operate successfully today, using the methods we used in the 70's.

Nope, the programmers for the two different programs are totally different, Jack. As are the programs. As long as the program continues to sell, it makes no sense to think they will dump it, since they are basically aimed at two different segments of the market. ATX is basically strong with the smaller firms and sole prop independants, while TaxWise's main market is the IRS and chain type businesses. There are plenty of us to keep ATX going strong, and I think that CCH has learned some things from their goofs during the first year. Hey, we all have to keep learning and adapting, because the world itself does change constantly. No one could operate successfully today, using the methods we used in the 70's.

KC, you know I love you, but I am very curious about this. Do you remember when the staff in Caribou was laid off? It was just before the 30 day guarantee expired for all those who did not purchase until the last minute. When everyone got into an uproar about it, they put William Tasker, the most trusted person at ATX by the users, on this board to soothe all our fears.

Fast forward to now. One month to go in the early renewal period. There is lots of negative chatter about ATX, other vendors are hearing it and using it to their advantage against CCH. And all the sudden, the most trusted voice on this board, KC, gets to post an e-mail to soothe all our fears about the upcoming year.

I know you KC, and I know you would not knowingly be used as a tool of CCH. I just wonder about your source, and who is pulling his/her strings to allow this message to go out. I would have never thought William would allow himself to be used like he was last year, but it happened.

I don't trust CCH. I will not be taken in by them again.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Well, fact is, the person who emailed me used his personal email, because he is not allowed to post on this or any other board from his workplace. Why that is CCH policy is anyone's guess. I believe him, I trust him, and I wanted his opinion of whether work was going forward on the new program. That clip was from his response to my question to him, not something that he just decided to send to me.

I don't blame you for being suspicious, Tom, I was too, which is why I asked him the question. I think we all need to remember, though, that ATX has over 35,000 users, and that is a lot of business to just casually discard. Although I agree that CCH has done some really dumb things this year, I really don't think that they would scuttle that large a market group.

PS, to all who sent messages asking if the tornadoes affected me or mine, the answer is no, we are all fine. One sister in law does work at a business in Earle AR that was hit, but not badly, and she is fine.

KC,

Thanks for sharing with us. I'll keep to my routine in not renewing until the last minute, however, I think we all have put too much time and effort into making ATX the program it is today to switch to another software with the fear that the new software company will be bought out also. I guess I'm just too old to have to go through growing pains again. I remember being badgered by ATXers years ago when I first came on board and wondered out loud why there wasn't a feature in the program to delete W-2's that were no longer needed. Someone was listening as ATX had that feature the next year. We have ALL worked hard for the many, many changes to the program since, and I'm just not ready to walk away from "OUR" creation...not yet, anyway.

Hope your husband is doing better. We will continue to keep you and him in our prayers.

Cathy

Something else to think about before you good people send in any more of your hard earned money.

Last night, at 7:57 EST I received an automated call. It was from Taxwise, saying "before I renewed my tax software for next year" to call a phone number and check out the Taxwise software. I did not bother to write it down. I just held the phone out and looked at it, expecting the Twilight Zone music to start coming out.

I have NEVER supplied them with my phone number or asked them for an evaluation copy. I know the Department of Professional Regulation here in Florida does not give out lists of CPAs phone numbers. So, how did Taxwise get my phone number, if not from my ATX information, that is already setup on the Taxwise website for some reason ?

And why is CCH urging me to check out software from another subsidiary, before I renew with ATX? Is that not the equivalent of my partner, calling a client, and asking them to let him do their tax return next year, instead of me?

That would not make any sense to me, unless my partner had bought the practice last year, and I was going to retire.

On the other hand, I went to my mailbox at home yesterday and I found an advertisement for ATX in my mailbox. This was not at my office, but at my home. The advertisement piece was addressed to "Tom" instead of "Thomas", so I am guessing they believed that it was a different company since the address was different.

At least they are soliciting for new business. This does not mean I trust them any farther than I can throw them, but the fact is they are advertising.

Tom

Lodi, CA

There are mailing lists out there that get started from all sorts of places. I'm on one list under the name "Kathier" - which isn't even a name (as far as I know) much less my name. But I get lots of various tax ads with that name - including one from ATX yesterday. When I was a customer, they used to spell my name correctly. They didn't even compare the address to see I was already in their database.

I also got that call probably a week ago.

I have several plausable explainations for why they might be calling...

First, don't they make more money on each copy of the other software? Wouldn't it make sense to convert some people? Wouldn't one conversion probably pay for all the telephone calls?

Second, there was a lot of unrest about the transition last year, so if people are going to leave their old program anyways, they want to TRY to convince you to look at the other program. Some may not realize that they are the same company, others may think that support will be better for their own version of the program and thus be willing to switch.

Third, of course the name and number could be coming from another list that has enough differences that it doesn't match up to their existing customer base and thus hasn't been purged. I doubt this option though as I have never given my cell phone number to any software company other than the guys at ATX. Telemarketing using automated message devices to cell phones is illegal unless you have an existing business relationship with that customer. Telemarketers are supposed to purge cell phones from their databases based on national lists of cell phone subscribers, so the numbers should have been purged from the companies selling the lists anyways.

Lastly, if they can convince enough people to switch, their development costs will go down while profits per sale up.

Now, some of you may discount my comments based on a perceived hatred for ATX. Quite the contrary, I hold a lot of 'nostalgia' for the company even if bad things had happened. I would be very happy to see them continue if they can hold onto the core values that I believe built the company (I don't see that happening though).

Just an observation.....

35,000 users IS a lot of customers and revenue ( AND, I thought from past marketing informaiton from ATX, that number was closer to 50,000?)

BUT, within the spectrum of total CCH revenues, I wonder what:

1. the percentage of ATX is to total CCH revenues.

2. is the profit margin for ATX (compared to TaxWise, etc.) - the "scope" of content of MAX would require more than a little effort to maintain and support, perhaps more than for TaxWise, for example???

It only takes one lie to destroy trust. It only takes one "screwup" to destroy confidence. Trust and confidence are both traits that take TIME and EFFORT to build - or "rebuild."

I'm doing the same thing I did last year.

Holding out for a toaster or microwave oven as an incentive..

(Coffee pot is no longer an incentive for me, because I've sworn off drinking the stuff every day)

They never stepped up to the plate in 2007 like my bank did with its CD's, but I'll give them another chance.

AHA!

That's' the last straw!

I knew there was something up - no early renewal from me until I get equal treatment.

At least you all are being contacted. I renewed last May & got the early discount. Also changed my email address in May of 2007. As of today, I have not received one email about renewal -- not one. Nor have I received any phone call. Not a one. Nor did I receive the email from ATX about the community being started up again. I have had the same phone number for 21 years now, that did not change.

No emails, no phone calls. Now, I have at least 4 times called and talked with someone in Georgia to get my infomration in their system. They assure me they have my correct information. Still, no emails, no phone calls. This would never have happened with William at the helm.

The only thing I have received is the blanket mailing that was sent out to see if I wishted to change to their product.

Maribeth

I can forward my early renewal discount email to you if you'd like - I'm not going to be using it.

John, thank you so much for the offer. I probably will renew with ATX, it will be my 10th year with them, but for $100, I'll wait until December. You know, I might have some airfare discount tickets in a file somewhere, are you interested in them?

Maribeth