ATX Community

ATX memory issue and crashing

williamtyler

Moderator note - this poster has been posting the information below by reviving multiple prior year posts, so rather than that I've created one current post with the information being shared.

Also, I'd ask @williamtylerto refrain from continuing to spam the same information over and over again.

ATX should know how to fix this I figured it out (mod add - by hiring a coder)

I found the Fix its a memory problem in the code of the software

Go to the ATX 2022 or ATX 2021 folder open it, look for ATX config file.

Open it with Notepad

Select Cntrl F (find)  Type in Memory

You will see it near the bottom close the search box.

You will see two sets of long numbers max values  one starts with a 18 and a bunch of numbers behind it the next satrts with 16 (print Memory)

Change the 1 to a 2 in each set of numbers.  Then Save it.  make sure you have all the permissions to have full control to save it or it wont.

When it does restart and BAM  I have 4 open returns at a time and printing them all to the spooler with no crashes!!!!

Edited by jklcpa
formatting

• 4 weeks later...

As soon as I've backed up my system I'll try it.
Perhaps I should mention that, when Marissa (whom I now feel is ATX's best tech ever) helped me overcome problems stemming from migrating ATX 2020 & 2021 from my old Windows 10 PC to a new Windows 11 one, she remarked that she feels 32 GB is the minimum RAM I should run the program with.  As soon as we finished I ordered another 16G DRAM from Crucial, to double my RAM.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, Eli said:

I don't see an ATX config file. Sorry a bit short on the tech savvy

Go to the ATX program folder and look for ATX.exe.config file.

Open it with Notepad

Select Ctrl+F (find) and search for Memory.

Scroll down and you will see two sets of long numbers with max values.  One starts with an 18 and a bunch of numbers behind it the next starts with 16 (print Memory).

Change the 1 to a 2 in each set of numbers.  Then save it.  Make sure you have all the permissions to have full control to save it or it won't save.

Try right-clicking the file and choosing Take Ownership, or making a copy of the file, renaming the old file with .old extension, then editing the copy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BTS said:

Wow, you guys have to change code in your paid program ?  Are we back in the old IRQ DMA days of early PC's  :)   

I don't mess with this stuff.  Too scared.  It may work for some and some may be more knowledgeable about this.  But I keep away from it.  I'll just have to close program when I get the message and reopen.  I don't like it but oh well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Randall said:

I don't mess with this stuff.  Too scared.  It may work for some and some may be more knowledgeable about this.  But I keep away from it.  I'll just have to close program when I get the message and reopen.  I don't like it but oh well.

It seems this year is worse & lots slower.  I may try it this coming weekend.  If it doesn't work after that I guess I'll have to contact tech support.  

1 hour ago, mcb39 said:

FYI:  My IT person has advised me to prevent issues like this by restarting my computer every day as soon as I turn it on.  So far, so good!

I am assuming you are not implying Turing it on, off, then on again, but just Turing it off and on daily.

If there are memory leaks (not freeing up any self managed memory, or an app poorly coded, not doing proper clean up) with something you use, then yes.

i find memory management in a cfg file even more old school than me. Windows manages memory well these days. It is rare when an app needs to manipulate something manually, unless it is doing other hand coded memory “things”.

For me, my main stays on all the time unless forced to restart by my own testing or a windows update. But, starting in a few months, I will be able to turn it off as I rework my software license process to be self healing (and not require me to send an email). I’ll likely still leave it on unless we are traveling.

Mine is turned off every day.  You assume incorrectly.  His instructions are to boot up in the morning.  Then hit restart so it closes and then reopens.  I have no issues with the program shutting down during the day.  As the season progresses, we might even do a restart after lunch.

26 minutes ago, mcb39 said:

Mine is turned off every day.  You assume incorrectly.  His instructions are to boot up in the morning.  Then hit restart so it closes and then reopens.  I have no issues with the program shutting down during the day.  As the season progresses, we might even do a restart after lunch.

I have never come across anyone saying the way to keep the computer clear is to boot in the morning AND restart after booting.  I am not sure what is gained from the restart that the overnight power off provided. Maybe something new or that I am not aware of?

Requiring a mid day restart certainly points to a "leaky" program. Sounds like there are known memory leaks/issues, for many years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lee B said:

ATX has had memory leaks ever since the program was rewritten with a shareware database called "Raven" back in 2011,

sometimes referred to as the "2012 Debacle".

Interesting. As likely the longest tenured and last of the original shareware authors/entities, I can agree, some things marketed as "shareware" are good, some are not.

I have encountered times when after making changes or fixes to a computer that restarting the computer several times has fixed things. Windows is such a massive and complicated software that oddities are more the norm than the exception. I've seen windows behave differently on two perfectly identical computers.

• Like 3