ATX Community

NT - IRS News you can use...........

Elrod

If a lawyer and an IRS agent were both drowning, and you could only

save one of them, would you go to lunch or read the newspaper?

What do you call 25 I.R.S. agents buried up to their chins in cement?

Not enough cement.

What do you call 25 skydiving I.R.S. agents?

Skeet.

What do you throw to a drowning I.R.S. agent?

His co-workers.

What's brown and looks really good on an I.R.S. agent?

A Doberman.

What's the difference between an I.R.S. agent and a mosquito?

One is a bloodsucking parasite, the other is an insect.

:spaz:

I don't know. I spent hours on hold with the IRS this morning, only to be transferred to another recording "high call volume" that told me to go away and hung up on me. Then after more time on hold, was told they posted my client's payment 11 June but still sent him a letter 30 June telling him to pay with penalty and interest. The P&I credit is "pending" and will take another three weeks to be reversed. Idiots. But, any of the above would work for me.

I fail to see the humor in this posting which has no business on this Board.

Chief, you are WRONG. While the decision as to what is humorous is a personal one, that can be different, sharing jokes and such IS one of the things we do on this board. that is why we call it a 'Community', rather than just a Tax Board. You do not have to read them if you do not want to. The only mistake Elrod made was not labeling it NT, and I will fix that.

Chief, you are WRONG. While the decision as to what is humorous is a personal one, that can be different, sharing jokes and such IS one of the things we do on this board. that is why we call it a 'Community', rather than just a Tax Board. You do not have to read them if you do not want to. The only mistake Elrod made was not labeling it NT, and I will fix that.

I totally 100% agree with you KC (don't faint!!!)

Elrod, even though I generally empathize with IRS personnel, and they are almost always very helpful and courteous, and the same goes for attorneys (kinda), I have had a rough day or 2 and this made me laugh out loud.

THANKS !

While not everyone finds this kind of abuse funny, we do share in common our frustrations with the IRS, and occasional helplessness in the face of its intractability. This kind of humor is one way to let off steam when we feel safe in our own company. You'd hear the same kinds of things at any employee gathering where the boss isn't present. I think its purpose has more to do with shared identity than with comedy. At any rate, I'm with KC: it's one of the things that characterizes a community.

Agree. This is exactly the place we sole proprietors vent. I certainly don't want to vent in front of clients, and family doesn't always understand. We have to let off steam with our colleagues, so we can return to the world as our productive selves. I'd had a tough few hours with the IRS, and really, really needed something like this posting.

>>the place we sole proprietors vent<<

You guys are a tough audience--won't anyone give Chief a break? Maybe HE was venting.

But no, I think he was rather drolly supporting the joke by playing straight man. Cleverly, too. His 15th message is a word anagram for, The business posting on this Board has no humor, which in this I see "to fail."

Gene, that was Chief's 15th post on this board, and if you rearrange the words in his post, you get Jainen's clever result. Which, if you read it carefully, is actually a reversal of what Chief said.

As usual, Jainen's humor is subtle and erudite.

Indeed, a lovely twist on the original post. FWIW, I've had many more problems with MassDOR than IRS, but still laughed out loud. And one of my best friends -- a truly excellent attorney -- loves to collect lawyer jokes. She's going to _adore_ the first one!

Hey, Catherine. You're in MA. I just did returns for a MA trust that dissolved in April. Returns would be due 15 August, and the beneficiaries wanted the returns done ASAP. Well, the IRS lets us use 2007 forms for short year 2008 returns. But, the MA directions say not to do that. In fact, the MA Form 2K-1 doesn't even have a place for the short year (or fiscal year, for that matter) dates, just says 2007. Are they going to give the trustee a hissy fit when he mails in the MA trust return? And, how about the poor beneficiaries, two of whom reside in MA and three in other states? Will MA be chasing them as if the 2K-1s have additional 2007 info instead of 2008? What should we expect?

Hey, Catherine. You're in MA. I just did returns for a MA trust that dissolved in April. Returns would be due 15 August, and the beneficiaries wanted the returns done ASAP. Well, the IRS lets us use 2007 forms for short year 2008 returns. But, the MA directions say not to do that. In fact, the MA Form 2K-1 doesn't even have a place for the short year (or fiscal year, for that matter) dates, just says 2007. Are they going to give the trustee a hissy fit when he mails in the MA trust return? And, how about the poor beneficiaries, two of whom reside in MA and three in other states? Will MA be chasing them as if the 2K-1s have additional 2007 info instead of 2008? What should we expect?

Massachusetts does a lot of weird things and they take hissy fits at all kinds of stuff that is mainly _their_ problem. That said, they folks who deal with Form 2 are frequently a little more on the ball than others (because the drones are dealing with Form 1, individuals, or child support issues -- a full 1/3 of MassDOR folks work child support enforcement!). I would send it in with a cover letter explaining that the trust is following Federal precedent for using 2007 forms and short year; trust dissolved in April; bene's want to file ASAP, blah blah blah. They will most likely accept that. If there is any fallout, send me a note. I have some contacts who might be able to help if whoever gets the return does decide to pout.

Good luck!

Catherine