ATX Community

Firing the PITA client

RitaB

I tried to search for suggestions for diplomatic wording of a letter firing a client, but I can't seem to use the search feature effectively. Anyhow, if any of you would like share how you word your letter, I'd really like some ideas. I have a few that I told myself I would lose before next tax season, so I need to move ahead with it! Thanks!

Why are you firing the client? Is it because they don't respond, they bring boxes of reciepts and don't sort them, they complain about the bill? Each reason has a different wording.

Here is something general you can use:

"Due to re-organization of my office staff and the changes to your tax situation, I do not have the resources at this time to provide you with the services your account requires. I would not feel comfortable with providing you less than exceptional service. Unfortunately, because of caseload and staffing levels, I cannot guarantee your account will get the exceptional service that I require to be provided to all my clients. I will be happy to forward copies of your records to your new accountant for a small adminstrative fee. Please feel free to call me to make these arrangements."

Tom

Lodi, CA

Since this is a 1 1/4 person office I use the "requirements beyond the scope of this office" sentence. I had a Corp that would bring me the entire year the following May and expect a full financial and tax return in two weeks. I would call to ask a question and they wouldn't return the call but that didn't stop them from calling to ask when their stuff would be done. Then I got "news" they were telling people I wouldn't return their calls. They got the letter.

Have a client that is disabled and wife works and they have a now 18 yr old daughter. This last tax season I did both returns and heavily discounted the 18 yr old. Her first time, daughter of existing client blah blah...Disabled client and wife were angry that they didn't get the discount and didn't get a big refund so why didn't they get a big discount blah blah...they took forever to pay a portion of their bill then I told them to forget the rest after disabled client called me up and chewed me out AGAIN. I won't be able to do their taxes next year for FULL PRICE plus aggrevation fee.

Now I am busy thinking up the wording for my "S" Corp clients that don't take a reasonable wage...

Karen

Thank you all for the suggestions. The clients that aggravate me the most are those who argue with me and/or just refuse to learn:

Come on, I still don't see why my expenses have to be allocated between my W-2 job and my 1099 job... OK, well, you

just divide them up however you think...

What?! I have to pay on the gain when I sold (past tense) my farm?! Joe the mechanic said I didn't have to pay tax when

I sold my house...

I know you printed all that stuff from the IRS thingy, but my lawyer said all the partners could be employees...

I usually have no problem explaining things to most people, but there's that handful that just are not teachable. You know, they just wear me out. Usually late, disorganized, put off paying, call every few days with questions, then don't want to do what you told them...