ATX Community

What is the top two forms your clients always forget and you have to call and remind them !!??

BTS

Ours is the 1099-SA and 1099-INT's.   With the 1099-SA being number one.   Close third is the year end investment forms (1099-DIV, 1099B's).  With those, clients seem to forget to bring us "ALL" pages of those statements.  Always just the page showing showing interest and dividends.  Always missing the 1099B part.  And its always the same clients no matter how many times you remind them.  But the 1099-SA and INT are our most.

• Like 5

Detail pages for dividends - the crucial bits, that show the foreign amount (for foreign tax credit), the federal percentage of dividends, the state breakdowns for tax-exempt interest or dividends, etc. No, I don't need or want the "preliminary" or "summary" statement that's 6 pages. I want the 28-page extravaganza that looks like boilerplate mixed with gobbledygook to the client.

And the 5498s. 

Not exactly a form, but the bursar's office printout for all college costs. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1098-T.  Many of the forms are scarce because the issuers want to bail out of printing them and paying postage.  When you ask the client, either he doesn't know he has them, or else you get:   "Oh yeah, I've got that right here on my phone!!"  [Scroll...Scroll...Scroll...Scroll 95 more times]  20 minutes later they hand you the phone which you can barely read.

"Can you print this out?"   "Oh no we don't have a printer anymore.  We keep everything on our phone!!!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2

I'd go with 1099-SA, but also yes, those dividend pages.  Amazes me that the same people who will upload both sides of W2s and every other form that jst has garbage on the back, but don't upload the rest of the 1099-DIV pages.  Everything with numbers please!
And of course, that "proof" that the kids live with them.

• Like 4