ATX Community

"In TurboTax vs. Consumers, Consumers Win"

GeorgeM

This has always been an Intuit policy at all product levels, including QuickBooks.

When I first started preparing returns in-house (for those that remember service bureaus and hand prepped returns) back in 1983 I think, I purchased Turbotax from Chipsoft. The DOS based software was supposed to be able to prepare one return, but if you repopulated the fields OR saved the file when it was blank and then overwrote it for the next return you could prepare an unlimited amount of returns. Then by writing a simple batch file (DOS guys) you could actually create a client list and save the files by client.

Well a number of us used this little and fairly competent software to prepare professional returns, until Intuit bought them and crippled low end features (such as dividing social security by 2 and automatically putting the taxable amount on the 1040) to give us just enough problems to create a malpractice potential. This forced us to pay 1000's more for their "Professional Software" identical in all other aspects without crippling (well it did add a client list).

Only Microsoft has a worse track record of screwing the consumer! And I think Intuit may have even passed them up!

Joel,

The reason I'm an ATX user today is because I got tired of paying through the nose for Turbotax pro which was (basically) the same software Intuit sold to my clients for $39.95 so they could do their own taxes.

You could do your own taxes for as little as$ 9.95 at www.1040.com/taxxcpa

Joel,

The reason I'm an ATX user today is because I got tired of paying through the nose for Turbotax pro which was (basically) the same software Intuit sold to my clients for $39.95 so they could do their own taxes.

Pretty much the same reason here!

Also, I left Intuit to use TASSC and then that DAMNED INTUIT bought TASSC!

At least with CCH, they are not competing with us.

Hey Atticus - Do you get a comission for getting someone to do their taxes online who was directed from your site? I'm just curious more than anything. Didn't realize 1040.com was owned by Drake.

let the taxpayers do their own returns. We make a lot more money fixing their problems than preparing their returns and helping them avoid problems!

this is Drake?

They compete with their professional customers also? Or are they setting up a way for professionals to get a different piece of the business?

Nah; they've got a setup like CCH -- if you use their website builder, there's a "File your taxes online" button that folks can use for simple returns. When they click through from your site, you get a piece of the fee charged. AND, if they have questions while working, they link through to you by email, so you can get more business, turning them from an anonymous filer to a paying customer. At least, that's how it's supposed to work. I had the button all last year and no one nibbled. It still looks good -- providing a service with no commitment up-front.

Catherine

I don't have the type of client that does their own, too complicated. But, I thought about having that button on my web site. Then, I was afraid I'd spend more time answering questions about how to use the software than about how to do taxes and not convert a DIY to me. But, if no one is going to try it out, I can look generous.... So, Catherine, no nibbles at all?

I don't have the type of client that does their own, too complicated. But, I thought about having that button on my web site. Then, I was afraid I'd spend more time answering questions about how to use the software than about how to do taxes and not convert a DIY to me. But, if no one is going to try it out, I can look generous.... So, Catherine, no nibbles at all?

Not a single one that I know of. Which means that no one has completed their taxes -- because I would have gotten my (minor) fee. And no one has contacted me with questions or wanting to know how to give up.

Closest I came was a kid at the local deli who asked questions every time I went in. I referred him to my site -- and he ended up just calling me and asking me to do his 1040EZ for him. He'd have been a good candidate -- but had wrestled so long on his own that he didn't have any "fight" left in him. Maybe this year he'll dare it.

Catherine