ATX Community

Wife's maiden name on W-2

jrollo

Have a client who married last year. The wife's maiden name is on her W-2. She states that she has had her name changed at the Social Security to her married name. However, her employer still has her maiden name on the W-2.

Can I E-File this return or will the wife have to go to her employer and request a corrected W-2? First time I have had this situation.

Thank you,

Jeff

Schirallicpa:

Thank you for the information. Learned something new today.

Again thank you

Jeff

Sometimes it works just the opposite. Have to use maiden name after marriage because wife did not contact SS. The women usually don't like that.

Since the question has been answered, I'd like to pose a follow-up.

I'm forever getting a citation from the PC Police for one infraction or another, but is it OK to use the term "maiden name" without ruffling some feathers somewhere in the PC crowd? :)

Since the question has been answered, I'd like to pose a follow-up.

I'm forever getting a citation from the PC Police for one infraction or another, but is it OK to use the term "maiden name" without ruffling some feathers somewhere in the PC crowd? :)

Gosh, John, I am so sorry. What was I thinking? (Some credit card app or other is always asking, "What was your mother's maiden name?"

I know.

It's all so confusing sometimes, isn't it?

I have a client that got married 6 years ago. Every year she tells me that she had her name changed with social security...every year, the e-file is rejected because name does not match....go back and change to maiden name, and it goes through.

All of her W-2s and other paperwork (mortgage, 1099's, etc) all have her married name, but not social security.

I'm guessing that she calls social security every year, but gets tired of being on hold and hangs up?

I had a gal with three or more last names. We tried about three times until we used the one that matched the great computer in the sky.

I had one who also had been married multiple times, and I know that she changed her name with social security because she brought me her social security card and it matched her current husband's name. However, when we e-filed I had to go back to the name before this one, even though it had been several years since she changed her name. After tax season she contacted social security again to get it straightened out.