ATX Community

For those of you who want larger fonts

kcjenkins

In Firefox Ctrl+ enlarges the font (and Ctrl- reduces it), but for some reason I can only post if I go into IE tab, where that doesn't seem to work. Don't know if this is true for others.

I just downloaded Chrome, the new browser from Google, and discovered that if you set the viewing size there, this site is much easier to read. Check it out, it has a lot of nice features.

I just downloaded Chrome, the new browser from Google, and discovered that if you set the viewing size there, this site is much easier to read. Check it out, it has a lot of nice features.

I just set my monitor displays some time ago to 800x600. Everything is so much easier to read with my old eyes. Yes, sometimes I have to use the scroll bar to see some things to the right and below but it is a small price for me to pay to not have to squint constantly. I will check out Chrome, though, because you suggested it. Your suggestions are always worth consideration. Thanks, KC!

Multiple monitors help as well. I have the display set on one monitor to a larger size for those times when I need it, and another monitor at a different size when I want to cram as much of a large spreadsheet as possible onto it. The I just drag whatever I'm working on to the most convenient monitor. But Chrome does also look interesting.

Julie. Check to see if you are blocking cookies by default. Most BB sites require a login cookie, at least for the session, to be able to post.

Firefox

Tools

Options

Privacy

Look the the Cookie settings.

If you want to continue to block cookies, then "allow" atxcommunity.com using the exceptions button.

Assuming the cookie setting was the issue, once you allow the cookie, you should be able to log in and post from FF.

Dennis (using FF)

Let me make it clear what the difference is that I am talking about. I can use IE and then control+ to make this site larger, but it makes the whole page larger, so that I then have to scroll left or right to see it all. Using chrome, the page adjusts the size, but stays on the page. A significant difference. Also, Chrome will import all your bookmarks, passwords, and other settings from IE, and from Firefox, with one click. No complicated group of steps to follow. And it's built-in spell check lets you add words, so that you can, for example, add tax jargon to the dictionary.

Let me make it clear what the difference is that I am talking about. I can use IE and then control+ to make this site larger, but it makes the whole page larger, so that I then have to scroll left or right to see it all. Using chrome, the page adjusts the size, but stays on the page. A significant difference. Also, Chrome will import all your bookmarks, passwords, and other settings from IE, and from Firefox, with one click. No complicated group of steps to follow. And it's built-in spell check lets you add words, so that you can, for example, add tax jargon to the dictionary.

Firefox has worked that way for forever. And has more addons than any other browser, so you can customize it any way you want it

Good review and comparison of the 3 browsers:

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/web...efox-3-1-462848

Couple of mistakes in the review. Suggest some features that Chrome has that Firefox does not. Well althought this may be true, add-ons have provided these same features.

Why is Firefox slower. Well they have slowly added features, rather than as they initially indicated had these features only available as add-ons. This, like IE has slowly bloated the software. So, most likely over time Chrome will do the same.

Still this review seems to think it is close between Chrome and Firefox, only barely giving the win to Firefox. Which really means, its a personal choice.

this second site has an interesting longer term take and suggests that Chrome, will mainly get users from Firefox, meaning if it was able to get all users to switch the best it can garner is 20% of the browser market:

http://whydoeseverythingsuck.com/2008/09/c...ng-over-20.html

"Apple, Adobe, Google, and others have chosen WebKit as their HTML display engine over FireFox's Gecko because it is smaller, easier to understand, and has been faster. But Gecko is purpose-built, from the ground up, to do extensions. No one else has'em. The competitors have traded flexibility for performance. But for much of the cutting edge Firefox using crowd, extensions are really, really important."

As for speed, add the add-on (extension) "Fasterfox" and watch the speed of firefox increase, dramatically in some cases. Still Chrome may be faster.

Which is faster? Look at this link:

http://onlinegadgetbox.blogspot.com/2009/0...s-safari-4.html

Hmm Apple's Safari? 30 times faster than all 3?

Is this available for Windows? Well as a matter of fact it is and interestingly, it's the first browser to pass the Acid3 security test.

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/03/19/a...download-links/

And although I am a hard and true Windows XP user, Apple does a lot of things better and maybe this is one of them.

For me its about the extensions/add-ons though. Firefox has an add-on everything and every way I want to do things in a browser. from zooming pictures, text, to dragging a dropping web urls into a new tab or window, from IE emulation (I have 2 different add-ons here) to tab clicking and mouse gestures. Want foreign web translation, plug in your add-on. Updating Windows without IE, another add-on. Does this slow the program, sure, but now I have my browser with a Cherry on top and Sprinkles!

Just found this one: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

The SeaMonkey project is a community effort to develop the SeaMonkey all-in-one internet application suite (see below). Such a software suite was previously made popular by Netscape and Mozilla, and the SeaMonkey project continues to develop and deliver high-quality updates to this concept. Containing an Internet browser, email & newsgroup client, HTML editor, IRC chat and web development tools, SeaMonkey is sure to appeal to advanced users, web developers and corporate users.

powered by Mozilla Under the hood, SeaMonkey uses much of the same Mozilla source code which powers such successful siblings as Firefox, Thunderbird, Camino, Sunbird and Miro. Legal backing is provided by the Mozilla Foundation.

Also sounds interesting and gets you away from some other MS applications (MS, a pun on words!)

Did any of you who downloaded Chrome have a problem with importing bookmarks and settings?

I now have Chrome but am not using it because every time I try to import those items (from Firefox), it hangs up. I've tried several times, including logouts and reboots. Still hangs.

TIA,

Catherine

Did any of you who downloaded Chrome have a problem with importing bookmarks and settings?

I now have Chrome but am not using it because every time I try to import those items (from Firefox), it hangs up. I've tried several times, including logouts and reboots. Still hangs.

TIA,

Catherine

Just tried the import in Chrome from Firefox and it went so fast, I didn't think it worked. But, it did and no problems. Maybe, you need to uninstall Chrome and try again.