ATX Community

Thought you might like to read this

kcjenkins

>>a bunch of gutless nincompoops see a way to weasel more money out of folks.... But I DO have a problem with name-calling<<

I have begun my four-month project to prune and force 65 rosebushes into dormancy, modern and vintage shrub, climber, and tea varieties chosen for performance in mild climates. We prefer repeat blooming over long stems. We also choose fragrance although like many people I am not able to detect the tea scent. (I can't convince DMV that this serious disability deserves handicap license plates.)

I only have 17 rose bushes. I gave them a quick prune last week, but not down to my winter prune. I don't know what varieties I have, but I do have the most beautiful yellow rose with a pink fringe at the end of the petals. Whenever I get in trouble with my wife(quite often), I just cut one and put it on the table in a vase. Works every time.

Tom

Lodi, CA

My roses are all pruned, mulched and covered for winter. They have already been covered with snow a couple of times. Mine range from old fashioned to carpet to trellis climbers and have all been planted with love and sentiment. Some have originated from my Grandmother's yard.

As for the original thread, I don't have a clue what half of you are talking about. So, what does that make me? :huh:

>>Whenever I get in trouble with my wife(quite often), I just cut one and put it on the table in a vase. Works every time.<<

I know what you mean, Tom. I always get in trouble for cutting our roses too.

[Dang--this is probably what Catherine means about me twisting the meaning of words.]

The pruning season in Sac hasn't begun yet; we've been having lovely mild fall weather. Our pruning season usually lasts aprroximately a week in a good year and about 2 hours in a bad year....kidding about the 2 hours but plants just don't go dormant here. Trying to figure out just when to prune the roses back since they've been growing wild for pretty much the last 8 years.

I only have 17 rose bushes. I gave them a quick prune last week, but not down to my winter prune. I don't know what varieties I have, but I do have the most beautiful yellow rose with a pink fringe at the end of the petals. Whenever I get in trouble with my wife(quite often), I just cut one and put it on the table in a vase. Works every time.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I had one of those in Worcester and it was -beautiful- with a glorious scent. I still miss it.

We have three climbers (two deep red, one pale pink) with mild-to-moderate scent and repeat bloom. But the vines grow SO tall that they get stuck in the eaves of the house. And I cut them back to knee-level every spring. There's also an unnamed dark pink shrub with a sweet scent. It also got cut to about knee level this spring but is now about 8 feet tall.

None of our roses do well indoors, though. The scent fades within a half hour to hour and a half. :( The petals stay for several days, though, so I guess that glass (vase?) is half-full.

>>in Sac<<

Hey, Joan, I'm right around the corner. I'm at the Doubletree Hotel for several days representing my Elks Lodge at the state convention. It's very un-jainen like, but I'm heading down to the city cemetery first thing in the morning--you have a famous rose garden there.

>>in Sac<<

Hey, Joan, I'm right around the corner. I'm at the Doubletree Hotel for several days representing my Elks Lodge at the state convention. It's very un-jainen like, but I'm heading down to the city cemetery first thing in the morning--you have a famous rose garden there.

yes we do...actually we have several famous rose gardens; there is also one at the capitol and another in McKinley park. Which Doubletree? Arden Way?

yes we do...actually we have several famous rose gardens; there is also one at the capitol and another in McKinley park. Which Doubletree? Arden Way?

My younger daughter and I toured the gardens at the state capitol building when we were there before our fiddle camp in '07. the rose gardens were glorious! And the trees -- WOW; those were amazing!