ATX Community

Homebuyer Tax Credit

Trnr395

Homebuyer Tax Credit

I know the rule regarding building a house or having a contractor build the house the closing date of the house is considered the date that you first move into the house. And the date for this $6500 tax credit needs to fall between Nov. 6th & June 30, 2010. But what about a prefab house. Is it any different. I have a client that purchased a prefab which was delivered and set up. They didn't get the keys to the house or could move into the house until after Nov. 6. The actual closing with the bank was before this date obviously. Would they be able to claim this credit because I don't see how this is any different than having a contractor build a new house??

Thanks

Brad

>>They didn't get the keys to the house or could move into the house until after Nov. 6.<<

According to the definition of "Purchase" in code section 36, "A residence which is constructed by the taxpayer shall be treated as purchased by the taxpayer on the date the taxpayer first occupies such residence."

>>your answer or opinion<<

I simply quoted the code section, without expressing an opinion as to how it would apply to the original post.

Based on the definition of "purchase" they would qualify wouldn't they. There isn't really a definite answer to this. I keep going back and forth with my opinion with this. Basically would buying a prefab. home be the same as having a contractor build you house and the date that it was finished and you could move into the home would be "based on the definition" the date of purchase??

Anybody else feel this way???

Homebuyer Tax Credit

I know the rule regarding building a house or having a contractor build the house the closing date of the house is considered the date that you first move into the house. And the date for this $6500 tax credit needs to fall between Nov. 6th & June 30, 2010. But what about a prefab house. Is it any different. I have a client that purchased a prefab which was delivered and set up. They didn't get the keys to the house or could move into the house until after Nov. 6. The actual closing with the bank was before this date obviously. Would they be able to claim this credit because I don't see how this is any different than having a contractor build a new house??

Thanks

Brad

On what date did the client purchase the pre fab?

taxbilly

On what date did the client purchase the pre fab?

taxbilly

They purchased the prefab before the Nov. 6th date, but the house was delivered after Nov. 6th.

I know this would generally be the purchase date but how is this different than hiring a contractor to build you a stick built home and the purchase date be changed to the date of the house actually being finished and you moved in.

Just a thought...

Brad

I am just going to air my opinion so your post gets more replies.

My opinion is that they do not qualify for the credit because the date on the purchase receipt (which for prefab fixed houses is called HUD-1) is the only date that matters. As you know, if you want to purchase a house in your block, that house is a prefab house, some of them were prefab in the 70's. So I don't see the difference.

Let's say that someone bought a regular/fixed house in October 2009. The HUD-1 has the closing date in October 2009. TP gets the keys and before moving in he requested minor repairs from the seller, they agree and it takes about 2 weeks for the repairs to complete. Tax payer moves to his newly purchased house in November 10, 2009. I think the IRS will only take the date on the purchase papers and not the date tp actually moved in.

>>Home was purchased prior to November 7th and therefore doesn't qualify.<<

NOW I will express an opinion. I challenge anyone to cite some authority supporting what Taxbilly just wrote. The code section I QUOTED above clearly states the date of occupancy is considered to be the date purchased.

NOW I will express an opinion. I challenge anyone to cite some authority supporting what Taxbilly just wrote. The code section I QUOTED above clearly states the date of occupancy is considered to be the date purchased.

We can't let a challenge go unanswered. I agree with code sec. 36( c)(3)( B ) that says A home "under construction by a taxpayer" is treated as purchased by him on the date he first occupies it. However, I disagree in this case that the homebuyer is constructing this residence as he is only watching delivery. As I understand this case, he has purchased the home under a binding contract and closed at the bank before the law that allows him credit.

In looking for a clearer wording I look at Code sec. 36(h) which states the first-time homebuyer tax credit is extended to apply to a principal residence purchased (1) before May 1, 2010; and (2) before July 1, 2010 by a taxpayer who enters into a written binding contract before May 1, 2010, to close on the purchase of the principal residence before July 1, 2010. Nothing in this code is requiring the occupancy of the house that is being built, instead it is based on the closing date for the definition of a completed purchase.

Another reason I don't like links without comment is they sometimes don't work. Here, I think, is what taxbilly was referring to:

>>

Q: I’m already a homeowner. If I buy another home after Nov. 6, 2009, to use as my principal residence, do I have to sell my home to qualify for the homebuyer tax credit?

A: No. If you meet all of the requirements for the credit, the law does not require you to sell or otherwise dispose of your current principal residence to qualify for a credit of up to $6,500 when you buy a replacement home to use as your principal residence. The requirements are that you must buy, or enter into a binding contract to buy, the replacement principal residence after Nov. 6, 2009, and on or before April 30, 2010, and close on the home by June 30, 2010. Additionally, you must have lived in the same principal residence for any five-consecutive-year period during the eight-year period that ended on the date the replacement home is purchased. For example, if you bought a home on Nov. 30, 2009, the eight-year period would run from Dec. 1, 2001, through Nov. 30, 2009. (11/17/09)

<<

>>he is only watching delivery<<

According to the original post, the home was "delivered and set up." Pre-fab isn't actually standard terminology. It usually refers to a modular or panel building that is assembled from major components on a constructed foundation. If it is instead more like a mobile home that is transported intact and simply placed on blocks, I would be less certain.

There is something in the law that refers to "benefit and burden" of the home being purchased. Apparently, the TP was not allowed to move into the home til after Nov. 6th thus receiving no benefit nor burden of this residence prior to so with all being said in respect to contracts,dates and deadlines, TP should qualify for the credit....

That's my take on it. Please correct if I'm wrong... :scratch_head:

My take on it is that when you purchase this type of home, you are UNABLE to occupy it the day that you receive it. The plumbing, electricity, water and other utilities still need to be connected. This involves plumbing, wiring and etc. Therefore, can this be classified as a purchase or must it be classified as a construction? If it is a construction; which it is to a great extent, then the date of occupancy rules. Having been through this scenario myself, I know there is a lot more to it than just purchasing the pre-built home. It has to be set on either a basement or some type of foundation. The two halves need to be joined and the utilities need to be addressed. It can be several weeks before the house is ready to be occupied. My feeling is that he qualifies for the $6500 new construction credit.; maybe.

>>receiving no benefit nor burden of this residence <<

>>you are UNABLE to occupy it the day that you receive it<<

While all those comments may be true they are irrelevant. Purchase has to do with transfer of ownership or title. In this case title and purchase transferred with the closing documents.

The only time the date of occupancy enters into the situation is when the taxpayer is constructing the residence. My opinion is that this taxpayer is not constructing anything. He received legal title (prior to the credit law) for property that had already been constructed by someone else.

In my opinion he does not qualify for the credit. Had the closing been after Nov. 6, I would think otherwise.

>>this taxpayer is not constructing anything.<<

In a sense, all construction is modular. The carpenter does not work with logs, but simply assembles pre-formed lumber. The glazier does not construct windows, he just installs standard frames. There is no magic threshhold beyond which the modular units have "already been constructed by someone else." If the walls are stored in a factory warehouse, signing a contract does not constitute a home purchase under Section 36 as quoted above.

>> signing a contract does not constitute a home purchase under Section 36 as quoted above. <<

I fully agree, however, transfer of legal title at the closing is a purchase.

So now the only question is was the taxpayer constructing a residence as defined under the code 36? In most contracts for purchase the closing on a home is after the construction. I believe the delay in closing was how the code was written to accommodate construction.

The closing is normally when the deed is signed over. At least in this area, the deed reads " ... all that parcel of land ... ". It conveys the land, and any real property that happens to be on it at the time. If the prefab house was not yet erected on the land, it would seem that the rules for the construction of a house would be applicable.

Add another scenario. Purchaser pays cash for the modular house.; which is not yet a home. House is set on land which purchaser has owned for several years. In my mind, this is clearly a construction. Just because the house is constructed inside a building and then placed on a piece of land, does not mean it is not a construction. In this case, there would be no transfer of deed or closing. In our case, we could move into the home when the building inspector said that we could. ie; an occupancy permit.