ATX Community

Small Plane hits IRS in Austin

BobinNJ

According to radio reports, a small private plane flew into the IRS office in Austin, TX today.

A individual who may be related,(unsure), said that the pilot, who she knows, burned down his house last night. She also says his plane is missing from the airport, and his car is parked at the airport.

They are holding a press conference right now and not confirming any of the info about the house fire. They were chastising the media for saying the plane had been stolen -- they are now saying it was registered to the pilot.

I will also add that the plane hit an office building that contains several federal offices besides the IRS. I never new there were any IRS offices there. The main IRS office is a large building on the other side of town. There is also a walk-in office in another area of town. I have no idea what functions are where. I'm really curious what part of IRS was affected. Will this affect e-files or paper returns or what?

Edit: I have learned that there were 190 IRS employees at that location. So while this is AN IRS Austin office is not THE IRS Austin office. I still haven't found out what type of offices were there. They may not ever want to let that info out. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough if it affects any of the e-filing or paper processing. I would "assume" that's all at the main IRS building, but really don't know.

They are holding a press conference right now and not confirming any of the info about the house fire. They were chastising the media for saying the plane had been stolen -- they are now saying it was registered to the pilot.

I will also add that the plane hit an office building that contains several federal offices besides the IRS. I never new there were any IRS offices there. The main IRS office is a large building on the other side of town. There is also a walk-in office in another area of town. I have no idea what functions are where. I'm really curious what part of IRS was affected. Will this affect e-files or paper returns or what?

Edit: I have learned that there were 190 IRS employees at that location. So while this is AN IRS Austin office is not THE IRS Austin office. I still haven't found out what type of offices were there. They may not ever want to let that info out. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough if it affects any of the e-filing or paper processing. I would "assume" that's all at the main IRS building, but really don't know.

The IRS Web site said an office of its EP Team Audit Program is located in the building where the plane crashed. The group, known as EPTA, examines employee benefit plans with 2,500 or more participants, according to the Web site.

Thanks Taxbilly. I didn't see that on their website, but that's probably because I didn't know where to look.

He was killed in the crash. But from what they've said so far, he seems to be the only fatality. They've mentioned 2 people sent to the hospital, and one other person is still unaccounted for.

The link was on MSN at least this morning. I read the whole thing. Started his life listening to tax protestors or some other kind of scheme, started his own engineering biz, but was pissed off by the part of the 1976 code revisions that allowed engineers to be classified as independent contractors, blamed everything that ever went wrong in his life on someone or something else (had a big resentment against the government since the government ruined his life) and he lost his retirement over and over again, and so the only resource left was violence.

But somehow he still could afford a plane?

Actually, I think it was the 976 code revisions that allowed engineers to be classified as PSCs, subject to the higher taxes on those classed that way.

And that is one thing that is so sad about this whole fiasco. I remember that change in the law. At the firm I was with then, we were preprared for the change. We had gone through all of our professionals, discussed the pros and cons, moved most people into Scorps; one group of doctors did not want to change their entity form, they took all of the money out in salaries anyway, so they stayed a corporation, but they knew the risks.

If this man had only sought professional help at that time, he would not have found himself in the difficulties that he went through.

A sad, sad waste of life and energy. May God have mercy on his soul and hold all of those affected in His arms.

Maribeth

At the risk of sounding like a whacko, and in no way justifying what the man did, I can on a certain level understand his anger and frustrations.

Our government, instead of serving the peoples best interest, has become as dictitorial as any facist country. The beaurocrats have invaded every liberty that we have. Try to open a bank account. They need to know everything about you (patriot act). Try to not have a bank account - you can't exist in our society. Try to open a business. There are at least 4 levels of permission that you need (fed, state, county, city, and then any other beaurocracy that those governments have put over you). Try to drive - not without a license. Look at your DMV fees in CA - 6 separate taxes besides the license fee. Own a business - the government can come in and take charge of all your records at any time (ask me about my CA BOE audit). Want to become a corporation - not until you tell the government every personal detail about yourself. Want to work in any city in CA - not without a license, and the license requires that you give the city all your personal information. Get hosed by any level of government - good luck getting any satisfaction in court - they have special rules that protect themselves. Want to buy a gun - a constitutional right - not without approval from the government. Try to remodel your kitchen without the approval of your government and see if they won't throw you out of your home for not asking their permission (all in the name of your safety). Want to add on to your home, not without paying a bribe (permit fees, impact fees, filing fees, inspection fees) to the government for permission. Let your kid ride a bike without a helmet and they will take the child from you (all in the name of the child's safety). Pull your kid from school so they can get a better education and watch the government look over your shoulder for teaching them that God created everything. Want to peacefully assemble in a public place (another constitutional right)- not without a permit.

This guy got as fed up with the lie that is American freedom. The only difference between him and a large portion of this country is he devalued life to the point that he was willing to sacrafice his and take out innocents in his anger.

Until our government gets it, I fear more and more of these incidents will occur. The beaurocracy has decided to rule us, not serve us. A constitutional convention is the only peaceful remedy we have left, but our society is so fractured that it would probably end our country.

I still love my country - just not my government. And like most americans, I am too fat, lazy and pampered to fight it. I am part of the problem. We all are. We need to take back our government, but we don't have the stomach to do it.

OK - off my soapbox. Back to work filing the required information notices for all the levels of government that want to crawl up our company colon and demand to see what we do.

Tom

Lodi, CA

<snip>

Until our government gets it, I fear more and more of these incidents will occur. The beaurocracy has decided to rule us, not serve us. A constitutional convention is the only peaceful remedy we have left, but our society is so fractured that it would probably end our country.

I still love my country - just not my government. And like most americans, I am too fat, lazy and pampered to fight it. I am part of the problem. We all are. We need to take back our government, but we don't have the stomach to do it.

OK - off my soapbox. Back to work filing the required information notices for all the levels of government that want to crawl up our company colon and demand to see what we do.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Tom --

You are right that the bureaucracy now wants to rule and not serve. And I agree that a Constitutional Convention would end up with a fractured, Balkanized America.

However, there is one other remedy -- not particularly fast (but slow and steady wins this race) -- elections. We must throw out ALL the scum and replace them with people who actually understand the Constitution and support it (not those who wish to undermine and overturn it). There are so many good folks running for Congressional races this year (in both parties; this isn't partisan but "Constitution-san"), against well-entrenched incumbents. There is, here in MA, even a serious contender against sleazeball Barney Frank in his ultra-gerrymandered district. Doug Hoffman, who almost won NY-23, is running again. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

There may not be anyone in your specific district -- but there will be people nearby. After 4/15, make calls, stuff envelopes, distribute lawn signs. We CAN still take our country back. But dismantling the entrenched rot will take time -- after all, it's taken about a hundred years to degenerate this far. Read Constitutional scholar/professor R.J. Pestritto's works on American Progressivism -- or for a quickie course, there's info at http://a12iggymom.vox.com/library/post/american-progressivism-rj-pestritto.html Teddy Roosevelt, Wilson, FDR, were all part of the Progressive movement that advocated big government to solve (=control) all "problems".

The rot is in both parties and encouraged by special interest groups that WANT us to fight false Dem/Rep battles as it leaves them free to take over behind the scenes.

The Founders were right when they wanted to limit government. Trace back every law that was intended to accomplish some societal "good" -- and you'll find that, eventually, almost all those laws have the exact opposite effect from what was intended.

The problem with this solution Catherine is that we don't really have free elections. The rules have been rigged by those in power to limit the ability of the people to really choose a candidate. Repubs and Dems choose who they will run, and the loyalty of those candidates is first to the party, second to their donors, third to the people. Those who would stand up to their party find a serious challenge from their party in the next election. They cannot stay in office when their party doesn't want them anymore. They have to toe the party line or find that they are out of office.

Even Sen. Brown ran as the 41st vote. 41st of what? Republicans, thats what. Think he won't get a serious challenge in the next election if he sits down with Obama and decides to vote for the HC bill?

Until a serious third party comes in to play, the same old boys network in washington will continue. We can vote them out every time, but the game is still rigged when they get to Washington.

Tom

Lodi, CA