ATX Community

Windows 7 64 bit

GeorgeM

I am pondering a new computer purchase, and was told to go to Windows 7. After searching the net amd going from web site to another all I can find is computers with Windows 7 64 bit.

I was told back when Vista came out that the tax packages would not run properly on 64 bit.

Has anyone on this board tried a 64 bit machine?

If you have could you please inform me as how the program runs on it.

Thank you

Close your eyes and buy a Windows 7 64 bit sytem. You will have no problems whatsoever. DON'T EVER compare Windows Vista with Windows 7 because Windows 7 is the best OS EVER. I am so happy to be using Windows 7 64 bit with 4gigs of RAM. It flies and my only problem is that I am too slow for the system.

I am using WIndows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit, and I don't have any problem with ATX running. I have 2007, 2008 and 2009 installed with my computer as a workstation. I was not able to install QuickBooks prior to 2006, and the ArkWorks software we are using for paperless does not work with 64 bit OS. I also have one printer, an HP 2015n, that I can no longer duplex on easily, but everything else seems to work fine. And I also love WIndows 7.

I also have Vista 64 and have had no problems with any ATX software from 2005 forward--except for printing.

Terry O: in order to print I have to turn UAC off; is that what you do?

Those who have switched to Windows 7--was it as easy as I have read? That everything, settings, programs, files, etc., are converted easily? I am very reluctant to do it during tax season. In fact, I have been reasonably happy with Vista 64 once I got a 64-bit anti-virus software and finally was able to remove traces of the 32-bit that were slowing down the software.

R Dennis

I have 7 64 Bit on my laptop. I was able to install ATX 2008 and 2009 without a problem. Followed the directions in the Knowledgebase for copying 2008 clients from desktop to laptop. Can roll them over into 2009 as needed. As for printing., my friend was able to download a driver for Win 7 from HP for my main printer which I can access wireless from the laptop. I do the majority of returns on desktop with XP; but tried this experiment so as to have a backup for myself as well as being able to have someone come in and help me if need be. So far, so good.

I am a Mac user too, I only run Windows XP on my office computer via bootcamp, going on 3rd year with no problems, I also have a Macbook Pro that I run the same. I had bought a new 27 inch iMac, however I returned it because it took up a some space from my desk, its almost the size of my home flat screen TV. As for Windows 7 64 bit, I would check to see if some of the program you use are compatible, I recall people had problems with XP 64-bit, because most of the application are made to run on 32-bit.

The only problems I've had with Windows 7 64 bit is that my all-in-one doesn't have the proper driver for it and I can't scan or efax, and ATX 2005 runs fine, but doesn't seem to save the returns, or it saves them to somewhere else and then can't find them again. I had to do a 2005 return and still can't find it, and may have to redo the darn thing one more time to get the CA return completed.

2008 & 2009 run perfectly.

The only problems I've had with Windows 7 64 bit is that my all-in-one doesn't have the proper driver for it and I can't scan or efax, and ATX 2005 runs fine, but doesn't seem to save the returns, or it saves them to somewhere else and then can't find them again. I had to do a 2005 return and still can't find it, and may have to redo the darn thing one more time to get the CA return completed.

2008 & 2009 run perfectly.

Did you try to get a driver from the manufacturer of your printer. I have a one year old HP and we had to go to HP for a driver for Win 7. Other than that, no problems so far.

Thanks for the input. I have one of the huge screen imacs and love it on the desk. I use a MBP for my laptop. The only thing I use the Windows XP virtual machiene I have on my Mac for is ATX (I have 2001-2009 on it with data backed up on a server) and quickbooks for clients. Everything other piece of software I have began using my Mac.

I guess I am going to get a Windows 7 computer and put it in the closet. Then I can run the ATX program for 2008 2009 on that and just use Netsetup to run my VM as a workstation so I can reduce the size of the VM.

Sorry if that was boring, I almost fell asleep just typing it. And I am not even exactly sure what I said or if it makes sense.

Did you try to get a driver from the manufacturer of your printer. I have a one year old HP and we had to go to HP for a driver for Win 7. Other than that, no problems so far.

I did. My HP is also only a year old, but I guess the model is actually two years old. And I checked for an updated driver and they don't have one yet. I'm using a Universal Driver they have, but it won't run the efax or scan functions. And the spooler has a tendency to shut down sporadically, but I've got fixing that one down pat by this point.