ATX Community

Your computer specs....

carolynm

I used to really like HP for printers, but the quality of their product seems to have declined in the last few years IMO. And I tend to feel the same way about Dell, unless you get into their upper end products. For laptops, I have been really impressed with my son's Toshiba. For desktops, we mostly use HP but have had some issues with them and the last computer I bought we purchased a custom built machine. I have been using it this tax season, and really love how fast it is and I love the dual monitors.

It'a a shame more tax preparers do not even think about calling a local computer repair shop, and asking them about a 'custom built' computer. Why pay for stuff you don't need, when you can often get a better machine, built just for your tax work, that will run faster just because it does NOT have all that 'entertainment' stuff that you are never going to use in your office?

Lion, a lot of the new laptops have the number pads. I have an inexpensive USB number pad that I use for mine, but then, of course, you have to have desktop room. I would never be without a desktop as my main computer, but because of being out of the office a lot, I need a laptop to work on during tax season. This year I have 2. My present desktop is a special order IBM (one of the first dual cores) that I bought in 2003 and I am not experiencing any speed problems to speak of. OS is XP. Anyway, everyone has their own preferences for their own reasons. I have been lucky in that every computer that I ever bought is still in operating condition even after being passed down and on to some friend or relative. The main thing is to take care of your equipment, use your system tools and back up regularly and often.

It'a a shame more tax preparers do not even think about calling a local computer repair shop, and asking them about a 'custom built' computer. Why pay for stuff you don't need, when you can often get a better machine, built just for your tax work, that will run faster just because it does NOT have all that 'entertainment' stuff that you are never going to use in your office?

Thats what I did & got a great computer that easily would have probably cost over 1000 if I had purchased from Dell or HP or any oother brand name.

Eli

Custom Build Computers

If you do buy a custom build computer make sure they install a legal copy of Windows and Office, how do you know if they are legal copies, request the CD's and authenticity stickers that comes with the CD's. There is alot of pirated software out there, and you don't know you it have until you take your pc for service. This happened to someone I know.

MAS

I have had my computers custom built for about the last 5-6 years. Yes, the Microsoft programs are legit, I have the discs and all are registered. The best thing I have experienced is the great service when there is a problem. And in all this time, I can recall only once when it was an equipment problem. I can call these guys, tell them what's happening and they either talk me through it, access online or come over as they are about 5 minutes away. They know my exact setup so I don't have to spend time explaining much.

The shop is 1/2 block from the Dunkin Donuts so I do treat them at least annually plus my holiday bottle of wine and cookies. They never charge me for phone calls or the online help, either. My laptop is a Dell Vostro but I use that for my dive business. I'm a happy camper!

Everyone. [who does not have a real computer expert living with them] should get to know a local computer repairman that they can call in an emergency. And whether they advertise it or not, most of them will build a computer for you if you ask. The main point is that they will build you the machine you need, based on what you intend to use it for.

Just like buying a new car or truck, if you never go off-road, why would you pay for 4WD and a winch? But if you really need a winch and 4WD, odds are good that you do not need a top of the line stereo system and you may or may not need satellite GPS, heated leather seats, roll bar, etc. Buying just what you need means you get what you need for less, and don't have to waste time deleting a bunch of 'trial version' programs that you don't need, and which, even when removed, leave unneeded files cluttering up your hard drive.

The e-machine specs:

AMD Athlon 2.7 x2 processor

6 gig ram

750g sata hard drive

windows premium

All for less than $350.00. Can I really go wrong? I am fairly adept at updating boards/ram/drives and was thinking of assembling my own PC after tax season...well the parts would cost me far more than this package. I'll just tweak this where needed.

As for brand...I've never been a brand name person. As long as user reviews are OK, (and lately E-machines have brought in decent reviews) I'm happy.

As far as Windows Pro or Home Premium - I did talk to a geek friend and he said either would suit.

I'll report back when up and running (hopefully running FAST)

Carolyn