ATX Community

Your computer specs....

carolynm

I NEED a new computer. On big returns my computer is just chug-a-chugging when I press "print". I"m going to try to defer the purchase 'til the end of tax season but I may just throw my hands up in despair and buy one before then. I hate waiting on my computer...

What are you all using these days? I've been told to buy dual core but should I look at Quad Core? How much ram do you have? Is Windows 7 premium working ok for everyone?

Thanks

Carolyn

Probably not a good idea to switch with only six weeks to go. Be sure you are fully backed up often in case it dies on you. Have you cleaned out the unnecessary temporary files that are created everytime you go to the internet, defragged and cleared out the cookies?

taxbilly

Now a days, computers have gotten better and cost less, as far as the specs, in my opinion any brand-new computer will be faster then a computer bought a couple years ago, and a new one will be useful for the next 3 to 5 years. A quod core is over kill, unless you are running video or editing them. For office use, I like to recommend workstations from Dell (good warranty) or IBM, they do what they are supposed to, plus they don't come with those unecessary programs that take up HD space (games), for a home computer you can buy one at Best Buy or other retail chains. If speed is an issue, don't forgot about looking into a printer that has a high ppm output :-)

MAS

It may be the printer memory or the printer speed or both and not your computer at all. There are some different settings, such as start printing immediately or wait until entire job is transferred. And, my last year at Block with ATX for entity returns, the printing was painfully slow. Had not been before and was not at home. The techies tried multiple things. It would print out each page and pause to catch it's breath before continuing. It made me hurt just to listen to it. Certain sections would zip out, maybe the worksheets. But, do all the clean up type things that others recommended to your computer also. If you have a VMS subscription, I'd call them to look into your situation.

Last year I was using an old computer and to boot up, it took about 25 minutes before I could do meaningful work. To print, it took a couple of minutes.

This year, I bought a duo processor DELL precision 3500 with 4G of RAM. Windows 7 64bits. I got a 20" wide screen monitor for about $12,000. I don't like it because it is too fast and makes me feel old and slow (I have to complain about something, after all, it is human nature). My printer is and HP 4300 and both of them (computer and printer) fly. Windows 7 takes about 30 seconds to be ready when I boot up and the ATX program opens in another 30 seconds.

I only have 300-400 clients and I roll over clients when I have them in front me. I do computer work for a tax and accounting office and they roll over everybody at the beginning of the year. They have been rolling over clients who were there 5 years ago and never returned. Having a bunch of clients who will never come back wastes resources.

WOW a 12K computer, this was the cost of pc back in the early 80, not that I was around that time. We know it's $1,200 LOL

Nice catch. I updated my reply, but you are right. I made two mistakes, I misplaced the comma and I added one zero.

I always wonder if anyone reads what I write and therefore make those mistakes on purpose. lol.

My big wait time is between pressing "print" and the screen where you select which forms to print. Does anyone else have long wait times here?

My computer is a P4 3.2ghz...3 gig ram..620g hard drive running windows xp. Not dual core.

Yes, this is my problem within the ATX program. My computer is a little over 4 years old (getting a new one this year). But my boot time is not that long and my opening of ATX is not that long. Some one said 25 minutes for boot (Are you kidding me?) Some one said with his brand new computer 30 seconds for ATX to come up. That's about my time with my old computer.

My printer prints fairly fast when I hit print after making the selections. But hitting the print button in ATX and waiting for the print menu is what takes a longer time than I expect. Once I have the print menu and select what I want printed, everything goes fairly fast.

I got fed up yesterday...and ordered this...New Computer!. Should be here by the end of the week...I have dual moniters so I'll probably set it up with one, and keep my other computer running...just start new returns on it. I"m looking forward to some SPEED!

I would be a bit worrie about an eMachine, they have a bad reputation of breaking down and the craftsmanship is very poorly and not to mention poor customer service.

MAS

I too, would be worried if it is an e-machine. I had tried to use one of these seven years ago and boy what a joke! My salesman kept telling me that they were good machines, but after three of them in less than a month I asked for my money back and allowed him to sale me a HP with a Celeron processor. That too was a big mistake!

I personally will only use a computer with a Pentium based processor. I would never recommend anything less for a commercial use computer.

Deb!

I had a e-machines computer a number of years ago and it worked just fine until it just got so old that I couldn't update it any more (wouldn't take more RAM). And I wish I had kept the keyboard -- it was good, and I hate the one this machine came with.

In fact, the little speakers that came with the e-machine we still have and still use -- turns out they work great with a couple of little mp3 players we own, and a digital recorder my daughter uses for her violin lessons that only has a headphone jack and no internal speaker.

An extended warranty plan is a good idea with any business machine, though.

I just bought a custom built computer. It has an AMD Quad 4 Phenom processor, 4gb ram (upgradable to 8), 500 gb sata hard drive partitioned with both windows vista & windows 7 64 bit. Runs extremely quiet & extremely fast. Cost: $732.00

Eli

I also don't like e-machines for work. This one seems to be refurbished which could be one of the three that TAX PREP BY DEB returned.

I like DELL Precision machines because they are reliable but they are a bit expensive, but then again, I rather to have a good computer than to be sweting in front of my clients because my computer is giving me hard time.

My young twenty-something kids and their friends, who used to love Dells, now don't like them. Of course, many have gone to Macs anyway, so any PC is unliked. The PC brands they do have, I haven't heard of for the most part. Some like HP, which I've always loved for printers but thought their computers didn't measure up. What brands do you all like and use or would purchase tomorrow if you had the time and money? Will need to upgrade after tax season.

What brands do you all like and use or would purchase tomorrow if you had the time and money?

100% Mac for me, I bought a mac mini for home back in January and it's still in the truck of my car. I run all my windows application on my iMac and Macbook Pro, using bootcamp that is what I use in my office on a daily basis.

I use a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7. During the season it is connected to an external monitor, keyboard and trackball. Off-season it goes with me in the living room or in the RV. It has the numeric keypad built-in. I'm not very good with the numbers across the top.

My personal laptop is still a Mac iBook. It's 4 years old is still going strong. I'll probably upgrade when Mac comes out with laptop with the numeric keypad. I have an external, but it won't stay put when I work on my lap.

Why scare her? I have heard that some of the E Machines are very good and this one is rated nearly 5 star by other purchasers. I have never been afraid of refurbished anything, because I believe that the bugs are out once it is gone through. Also, E Machines were made by Gateway, and I have never had anything but Gateway machines since IBM sold out to Lenovo. This also applies to both of my sons, and we have never had a problem. Also, I would think that Tiger Direct has some credibility involved. I have also heard some real horror stories about Dell machines; and these are from my computer tech. So, carolynm, I wish you well. You just may turn out to be the happiest camper in the park.