ATX Community

Client Screaming At Me

jasdlm

Client is screaming at me because I didn't include the long-time homebuyer's credit on his return. He did not buy a new home. He refinanced. He knows he is eligible for the credit. His bank told him so. (I actually saw the piece of paper the bank gave him. I can see why he thinks so . . . it's very misleading.) He's screaming at me because he 'refinanced for nothing'. (Didn't call me when he was actually refinancing, by the way.)

He just left me another message. He says he has found something on the IRS website that says he qualifies.

I printed off the little piece that is on the IRS website (the part that says purchase). He says that in a refinance transaction you actually sell your home back to the bank and then 're-purchase' it . . . hence the use of the word purchase.

I don't want to call him back. If I'm missing anything glaring, someone please tell me.

Thanks so much!

Tell him to bring you the HUD-1 signed by the seller and the purchaser (not related) and you'll be glad to amend his return at no charge. And, then fire him!

I had a client email me that they qualify for $6,500 because they've lived in their house a long time. They did not buy a new house. They are very sweet clients, though, so I tried to be very nice in my response to them.

In a very limited defense of these idiots, there is a huge amount of misleading info floating around out there over this credit. And the fact that the idiot Congress changed this law three times in less than twelve months makes it worse.

Still, no client has the right to scream at the preparer just because he does not like the answer. That client should be fired, and I have no doubt you can replace him with someone nicer, who may well pay you better too.

I am contemplating starting a "for profit" service where the practitioner that has a client like this can pass the info along to me and I will contact the client on the practitioner's behalf. My call will go something like this. "Hello, Mr. Taxpayer? This is the tax practitioner's advocate office calling on behalf of your tax preparer and the IRS. It is my understanding that you are being abusive to one of our members over something that you have absolutely no clue about. I have contacted the IRS and had your account flagged for further review. We do not take lightly the abusive treatment of our members. I am also passing your case along to our sister company called 1-800-break-a-knee. Oh, and Mr. Taxpayer, one more thing. Sleep well." Click

I will let you know when I have my service up and running. Of course, I first have to find the energy to work more than 100 hours per week. I am afraid that if I had a client like that right now, it would be a screaming match, and I would probably win. Tired and cranky does not bode well for the other party in a screaming match. Good luck!

• Like 1

Actually, I learned that trick from Jenny Craig (1-800-jennycare) (Jenny and I are very close - the program truly helped me get healthy), but back to the point. I called that number once and the phone started ringing while I was still dialing. So I hung up and dialed again, thinking I had misdialed. And it did the same thing. So then I counted the letters and there were more than necessary. I guess once you have dialed the requisite numbers, any thing extra is just fluff. Thus, 1-800-break-a-knee should work. :)

Thanks so much for all your moral support. I haven't mustered the energy to call him back yet. I'm too tired and grouchy, but I'll have to get over it and call soon. I just don't want to fight with him.

Also, when something like this happens, I waste quite a bit of time searching publications, searching the internet, reading the form instructions, etc., thinking I must have missed something. Sheesh.

Thanks again. I'm going to try to suck it up and call him back. I just finished 2 back to back meetings that went something like this . . . 'this is my W2 (hands W2); this is the interest I got on my bank account (hands 1099); this is . . . well, I'm not sure what this is, (and wastes time trying to read it and figure it out instead of just handing the whole stack over to me and leaving)' so I'm especially testy.

Aaargh . . . I'm really a wicked witch today!

Thanks so much for all your moral support. I haven't mustered the energy to call him back yet. I'm too tired and grouchy, but I'll have to get over it and call soon. I just don't want to fight with him.

Also, when something like this happens, I waste quite a bit of time searching publications, searching the internet, reading the form instructions, etc., thinking I must have missed something. Sheesh.

Thanks again. I'm going to try to suck it up and call him back. I just finished 2 back to back meetings that went something like this . . . 'this is my W2 (hands W2); this is the interest I got on my bank account (hands 1099); this is . . . well, I'm not sure what this is, (and wastes time trying to read it and figure it out instead of just handing the whole stack over to me and leaving)' so I'm especially testy.

Women are Angels And when someone breaks their wings.... They simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick . .. They are flexible like that

and I thought only my clients did that. I can read upside down and backwards and tell them what the paper is but still one by one. I am getting faster at grabing the papers before they can start sorting.

I just love it when the client hands me the papers 1 by 1, after they ask me if I have a letter opener. They don't even open the letter I send them with their organizer. Why do I waste my time, postage, paper and ink to help them? Just give me the papers and sit there and reads the newspaper with a cup of coffee. They provide their own newspaper. One client bring everything unopened, opens the envelopes doesn't look at the contents then hands me all the papers as a stack. That's a little better, but why can't they open their mail at their home?

jasdlm (try saying that three times fast) - I would explain, and yes, waste time researching and printing stuff for him to read, which you have done. If client is still adamant, I would ask him to call IRS from my office. (Yes, I know, it's a crap shoot sometimes, but I believe they'd get this one right.)

If he's still being a butt after that (or if IRS actually tells him to go for it), I would give him his documents, tell him no hard feelings, and send him elsewhere. No charge. He will either come back with his tail between his legs, or you won't have to deal with him again. I do believe we have to waste some time occasionally (OK, probably more often than occasionally) to know we've done the right thing.

and I thought only my clients did that. I can read upside down and backwards and tell them what the paper is but still one by one. I am getting faster at grabing the papers before they can start sorting.

Ah, yes, the "Grab Technique". Essential for your sanity.

Here is another thing I do. I leave files in all the chairs in my office during tax season so they can't chit chat for too long in comfort. I swear, I have a few that would stay all day.

Do you love it right now when they ask, "Are you gittin' busy yet?" Don't you want to do some damage when they ask that?

Had TWO call me yesterday wanting to know when is the last day they can bring their stuff in and get it done before April 15. I told them after today all bets are off. What? Are you kidding me? Just get it together already. Is there a prize for "latest to bring in and still get it filed by the 15th"?!

After thinking about it, I have to repent. BAD, BAD thoughts.

Back to the FTHBC mess. Just had a caller. Bought a house Sep 2009. Owned a "mobile" home (not a REAL home, mind you) for 8 years prior. I explain the bad news.

"Oh, well, we didn't OWN the mobile home. We were just paying for it during that time."

REALLY??????