ATX Community

How do you do it?

ILLMAS

I've been noticing I am taking too much time to start and finsih tax returns and I don't even have that many clients compared to others. I know what my problems are:

I get too many calls from client

Clients don't bring all the paper work

Too many unannouced walk-ins

And taxes are not my only line of work (accounting and payroll)

How does every else do it to be productive? What your secret? :-)

Are you in an office by yourself? If so, a couple of things I would suggest. Use the tools at your disposal. If you do not have voice mail on your business line, get it and turn the ringer off. Check for messages a couple of times per day (between returns) and return calls then - on your schedule. Do not be dictated to by the phone. Start early and work late to eliminate the walk-in issue. I am in the office by 5:30 AM and work until 10:00 PM seven days per week during this time of year. My office hours are 8:00 to 6:00 Monday thru Friday and 8:00 to 12:00 on Saturday. Outside of those times the blinds are pulled, the door is locked and the phone is not answered. My most productive times, obviously, are between 5:30 and 8:00 am and 6:00 and 10:00 pm and on the weekends. Finally, commit to having a larger practice, one that will support an admin person to tend to the walk-ins and telephone calls. As to the missing info, I insist the client be reachable. I get home phone numbers, work phone numbers, cell phone numbers, email addresses and the name and number of a person that will be able to tell me where I can reach my client if the first four methods do not work. (Well, that last one is not used all of the time, but I have used it for clients that I know are not going to be found with the other methods). Shoot, just this week I had to have a client paged at WalMart. Client called back within five minutes, the questions were answered and the return completed and the client picked it up on the way home from WalMart. I guess the bottom line is I take a "failure is not an option" mentality with completion of returns. I hate having to start a return several times over. Did I mention that I hate that. :) Good luck!

I have been self employed for 28 years - -starting off slow & reaching a banner year of 640 - -which was really challenging!

First - -NO WALK IN'S - -appointments only! Have a designated mailbox or whatever for drop offs. Try to "bunch" up the appointments if possible - - -nothing like 1 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon - - -with not enough time to get anything else done.

Second - -keep incoming calls SHORT - -give them only 3 options for appointments - -because you KNOW they will be yelling back & forth to their spouse etc. Caller ID on my phone let's me know if I should take a call when a client is here.

Third - - -Ask them if there was ANY change from the prior year when you have them on the phone- -I rattle off, retire, move, marry, divorce, new kids, college whatever, and now new car, furnace, windows etc. Tell them to bring EVERY tax statement they need.

Forth - -the first year is always the hardest - -putting all the information in - -so they MUST bring in the last year's tax return for numbers etc. Missing info can be sent via fax, mail, drop off or e-mail.

Fifth - - give yourself a scheduled "break" - - -cars don't run well on empty - -neither will YOU!

Sixth - -once you get the hang of it - - -run-of-the-mill tax returns can be completed within 20 minutes - - go over it on the screen with the client - -print it out - -subject to verification & send them an email or hard copy of any changes when e-filed.

90% of my tax returns are done this way - -figured it out many years ago - -

I know everyone has a system that works for you - - maybe this will help.

Good Luck!

We also work early in the morning and late at night with the phones shut off, doors locked, curtains closed, and door-alert systems unplugged. We are open to the public on a somewhat strick schedule that includes being closed for 4:00-6:00 for supper. A sign on the door demands no one rush our supper time. We refuse to budge on that point. That 2 hours gives us a very needed scheduled break.

Walk-ins are accepted early on in the season. But by the end of January people stopping by have the option of leaving info here or scheduling an appointment.

We do not answer calls during appointments. Along about the 1st of February, we stop answering the phone pretty much altogether. Our message includes a statement on the lines that if you dropped off your documents and we have not called you yet, be assured we will when the return is complete. We follow that with "each call of this type we answer further delays processing." We lose track of how many times a day we hear the hang up on the other end.

Our office is also ALWAYS closed on Wednesdays. We need to get our own appointments ~ hairstylist, dog groomer, dentist, doctors, groceries, even laundry ~ in somewhere. That's our day with no ifs, ands, or buts, from anyone!

Those who leave a message for something other than the "are you done yet" question get a return call before or after regular hours.

>>> Pfft! Even now, it's 5 minutes till 9:00 (opening time) and there's someone on the front porch attempting to ring the doorbell that is unplugged. Sorry, we open at 9:00 on the dot. Sounds like she just got back in the car to stay warm. Probably thinks I'm a meany. Too bad. <<<

Very good tips up there! I have an office in town, would lose my mind if it were at home, I'm fairly certain. Office hours 8 - 4, Monday - Friday. I generally accomplish very little during office hours, for the same reasons as you listed, MAS. Like others, I lock the doors and rip out the phone (OK, not really) after hours so I can get something done. One thing I will add, I pray for God to protect me from people who waste my time. I highly recommend asking for His help, if you are so inclined.

I have noticed over the years, that people that waste my time often do so because I let them. So, now I don't let friends corner me at church or Wal-Mart. I tell them to call me at work. When I get a vib from somebody new (you know that vib, the one that screams: "This guy will be a PITA!"), I tell them I'm not able to help them. I wasted a lot of time 10 - 15 years ago trying to do too much for too many.

Those are all good points. I like to at least keep one or two days where I may or may not have appointments. Just to know I have all day Monday to work, no distractions. Appointments ONLY, no walkins...Stay with a structured schedule and stick to it, I know it is tough but it works. Time set for phone calls and emails, time for working on returns, and time for yourself.

I love to see how other people mangage their practices. I am so down already this season that it takes everything I've got to drag in here. I need to learn to say no and stick with it. I've been trying for four years to not accept new work, and every year clients send me their kids, parents, or they start new business and don't understand that I can't keep taking on more work and still get finished. Oh well, back to work. I am going to use some of these ideas.

Thanks!

Bonnie

I'm a horrible procrastinator and had some time-consuming issues this season that stole hours and hours away from work, so I'm very far behind and not one to give advice on this topic. I read all your ideas and hope to incorporate one at a time, so I stick with it. But, I did install a mail slot in my front door this season and have been talking it up whenever I speak to a client. I love it! People drop off without even trying to talk to me. I'm spending less time on the phone comparing calendars to facilitate a drop off. It's the best thing I've done in a long time. I don't answer the house phone when in my home office. I'm getting to recognize numbers on my office caller ID to know if I have enough time to deal with them now or let it go to voice mail for a return. I don't answer calls when a client's here or I'm already on a call. I do return calls by that night, or if too late, the next morning. Many issues that seem to upset the client when they're leaving a message, seem much dissipated hours later when I return their call.

Definitely have a mail slot (mine's very large) or a secure drop-off box.

I don't know how I do it some days. This weekend I have left town and taken work along in order to get away from the phone and people who drop in without appts. Office in Home has advantages, but also many, many disadvantages. You all have some good ideas to offer. This year I am sending some of my PITA clients to a new gal who is just starting out and glad to get the business. Am also having her come in to help me play catchup. The "Are my taxes done yet?" calls are starting and that adds so much stress to the pressure cooker. Hope everyone has a happy and productive tax season.

Knocking on wood, I have only had two calls this year, so far, in the "is my return done yet" category. I pre-schedule my returns in December which for the most part smooths out the workflow for the season. I have been able to stay pretty much in front of the madness, but it takes commitment. Oh, the two that called? One, the husband had a minor stroke two days afer dropping off the tax info and the family wanted the return done (even though the son already had POA) before the client got any worse. I did, in fact, set aside every thing else after that call and had their return done within a couple of hours. I learned just a couple of hours ago that he has since had a massive stroke and is not expected to survive the week. The other is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. It is about a $1,000 return and I completed the 2008 return in late April (on extension) last year and the client finally picked it up and paid for it two weeks ago. Late last week she dropped off the 2009 info and called the very next day to see if it was ready. Without going into the sordid details, she was one of the few this season that have been able to hit my hot botton. (I still have not looked at her info.) :)

Mail slot in the door is a MUST. I also enclose a couple of labels when I send them the January client letter and encourage them to mail their info to me when they get it ready. I mail completed returns back to the clients as well, in order to avoid the "pick-up & pay" discussions that can soak up so much time. I NEVER prepare a return while someone is sitting there, even if it's their kid's return for summer work.

I encourage them to use email rather than call me. I'll return calls the same day or next day, but generally respond to emails within an hour or less, if only to say I'll look something up & get back to them. Email can be a real time saver if you continually promote it. Many clients are as busy as we are (or busier), and they appreciate the streamlining of the relationship. That also frees up some time for the few clients who really do need some hand holding.

For me, the essential element is to do everything possible to keep your clients out of your office so you can get some work done.

I did put up a really nice locked drop box last year which has helped some. Not only can they drop things off securely, but they can pick up things I leave for them as there is a large clip inside of the drop-down door. They are starting to get educated on the use of this box. I also do a lot of e-mail conferencing. Clients are very receptive to that. And....many of my clients I have never seen for years because they mail or fax everything to me and I mail it back to them. However, for some reason (could it be age?) the pressure hasn't seemed to lessen. Hubby says I have to learn to say "No"! Then he comes home and says that he just got me a new client. Go figure.