ATX Community

Missing the Mini Organizer

mcb39

As I have been printing Organizers for the past several days,; I can only despair of the waste of paper, toner, postage, etc that will be generated by the use of the regular Organizer which is the only option available this year for ATX. Yes, I know that I could create my own or send a generic one such as can be purchased from Tenetz; but my clients have come to depend on having their prior year information and amounts carried over to the new Organizer.

I know this issue has been addressed before and many of us passed our concerns on to ATX through the Suggestion Box. We are stuck with what we have, but what a letdown after years of the so-called "Mini". I do, however, laud the fact that ATX is still giving us the ability of creating organizers from the prior year program and not forcing us to wait for the new program and updates to come. This is a wonderful heads up in allowing us to get an early start on getting them printed and out.....

I don't use the organizer and have never printed it out, but in reading your post I wonder if it could be printed in a 2-up format to reduce paper usage. That may not be practical in this case, but I find that many things that I print are just as readable and usable in 2-up fotmat, even for my 59-year-old eyes.

I guess I have it easy. I never print the organizers, yet all my clients are required to use it.

How do I do it.....

Drum Roll.....

I have a paperless office. All my clients are contacted via e-mail. I simply make up a .pdf file, convert to Word and distribute to my clients. They fill it out and return it via e-mail. Works for me.

Mike

I guess I have it easy. I never print the organizers, yet all my clients are required to use it.

How do I do it.....

Drum Roll.....

I have a paperless office. All my clients are contacted via e-mail. I simply make up a .pdf file, convert to Word and distribute to my clients. They fill it out and return it via e-mail. Works for me.

Mike

Mike, what pdf converter are you using to convert to Word?

Maribeth

• 2 months later...

As I have been printing Organizers for the past several days,; I can only despair of the waste of paper, toner, postage, etc that will be generated by the use of the regular Organizer which is the only option available this year for ATX. Yes, I know that I could create my own or send a generic one such as can be purchased from Tenetz; but my clients have come to depend on having their prior year information and amounts carried over to the new Organizer.

I know this issue has been addressed before and many of us passed our concerns on to ATX through the Suggestion Box. We are stuck with what we have, but what a letdown after years of the so-called "Mini". I do, however, laud the fact that ATX is still giving us the ability of creating organizers from the prior year program and not forcing us to wait for the new program and updates to come. This is a wonderful heads up in allowing us to get an early start on getting them printed and out.....

Really miss the MINI and hate the waste of paper with the current one. I've left comments in the suggestion box if that does any good.

Is there a way to "create" a MINI thru ATX that would pull in client's data? I ask because I see you had mentioned that you could create your own.

Thanks.

rob

Really miss the MINI and hate the waste of paper with the current one. I've left comments in the suggestion box if that does any good.

Is there a way to "create" a MINI thru ATX that would pull in client's data? I ask because I see you had mentioned that you could create your own.

Thanks.

rob

No, Rob, unfortunately you cannot to my knowledge create anything other than the cumbersome Organizer that they have left us with. I know that several ATX users do create their own organizers through Excel, Word, Works or some such word processor. Of course, I know of no way that the prior year numbers would carry forward. I have found myself apologizing to nearly everyone who came in with the current Organizer that I had sent out. Hardly anyone had put any numbers on it. The MINI was so wonderful for my middle-of-the-line clientele.

No, Rob, unfortunately you cannot to my knowledge create anything other than the cumbersome Organizer that they have left us with. I know that several ATX users do create their own organizers through Excel, Word, Works or some such word processor. Of course, I know of no way that the prior year numbers would carry forward. I have found myself apologizing to nearly everyone who came in with the current Organizer that I had sent out. Hardly anyone had put any numbers on it. The MINI was so wonderful for my middle-of-the-line clientele.

I agree. The Mini Organizer was a very useful tool for thise of my clients that wanted it.

Why would CCH eliminate this item? I cant believe in the interests of program size or such.

I agree. The Mini Organizer was a very useful tool for thise of my clients that wanted it.

Why would CCH eliminate this item? I cant believe in the interests of program size or such.

You can create a custom mini organizer but it requires some programming skill. I made one for our practice and have attached it here. We use it during the client interview so it displays some client information but not last years amounts. For example we know which banks they received 1099-INT’s from and we fill in the amount received for this year.

So, if you want to see if it will help you, you can follow the steps to “import” it into your 2006 ATX.

Some disclaimers. I don’t have any connection to ATX. The steps below work for us but I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY if this does not work for you. I strongly suggest you first try it on a non-critial machine before going live with it.

Lastly, Do not import my file if you have already modified the master Organizer form as you will loose all your changes.

If that has not frightened you away, here we go:

This custom Mini Organizer is for the 2006 Organizer in the 2006 ATX program. We bring up the 2006 return for a client, add the custom organizer, print it out and use it for the 2007 interview.

1) Open the 2006 ATX program and go to <Forms><Customize Master Forms ..> and filter for “Organizer”. Select “Organizer (2006)” and open it. Select the “Custom” tab along the bottom and put a “1” in any box. Then “Save” the form. This will cause ATX to create a customized Organizer file that we will now replace with my one.

2) Close 2006 ATX.

3) Open Windows “My Computer” and go to “C:\Program Files\ATX2006\Masters\Modified”. There should be a new file called “ORGANI_A.vtd” there. This is the file you created by creating a custom Organizer form. Rename it to “ORGANI_A-old.vtd”.

4) Download and copy my “ORGANI_A.vtd” file into the same directory. It ‘s size should be 155 KB.

5) Open 2006 ATX and go back to <Forms><Customize Master Forms ..> and reopen the “Organizer (2006)” form. Go to the Custom tab and you should see my modified Mini Organizer. Ignore the yellow/orange formatting.

6) Now you have a custom Mini Organizer and you can add it to any of your 2006 clients and print it out for your interviews.

You can download the custom Organizer file, "ORGANI_A.vtd", by clicking on this link: select the "Save File" option.

Send me a message if you have problems.

MakeMini

I'd like a copy if you get it to upload.

Thanks

Hi Byron,

I edited my previous message and added a link to the custom Organizer file for you to download. I put it on one of my hosts rather than workout what I am allowed to upload and how to do it here on ATX Community.

Thank you SO very much! I have downloaded it to experiment assuming I will have ATX again (not positive). I chose to use a generic organizer this year instead of the awful option left to us. Nearly all of my clients, even those who never used it, have expressed how they miss it and don't like the new one.

I sent out my organizers and engagement letters Jan. 2 so this is too late to use for 2007 but I commend you heartily for your efforts!

For us that have already sent out all of our 2007 organizers, can we import the mini-organizer into our 2007 ATX t to use for preparing our 2008 organizers?

Maribeth

No, I'm pretty sure that does not work. I have not thought about the 2007 version yet, maybe ATX will bring back the Mini ? Otherwise I will have to try and create another custom version but this is so dependent on ATX and whether the backdoor hooks into their software will work the same way as they did in 2006. As of now I don't know of a way to export the Organizer from 2006 to 2007.

It's all a bit of a crap shoot and something to do after the 15th.

I don't use the organizer and have never printed it out, but in reading your post I wonder if it could be printed in a 2-up format to reduce paper usage. That may not be practical in this case, but I find that many things that I print are just as readable and usable in 2-up fotmat, even for my 59-year-old eyes.

I question the wisdom of 2-up printing, but do suggest duplex printing.