ATX Community

Computer hell day

joanmcq

Yesterday I finally finished up my bookkeeping for my biz (except for what I got today), and started to put numbers into my tax return. Hey so far, so good! So I go to hotsync my Palm to update my expense data to get it ready to export to a spreadsheet. Darn thing wont hotsync. Overcooked the turkey while trying to figure it out...lost track of time. Then new clients in for lots of back returns, and I'm trying to copy some of their docs so I won't have to keep them. Copier/printer starts cycling and making a really nasty grinding noise. So its been doing this on and off for awhile...turn it off/on/off/on won't stop. So I give up. Great impression for new clients. She asks to use the bathroom...toilet won't flush..ok that isn't a computer issue...then back to the Palm problem. Computer whiz roommate tries to troubleshoot, can't figure it out. Do online chat tech support, no good. Call tech support TWICE, no good. Maybe the cables bad. But the car is in the shop, so I can't go find a new cable. Decide to try to reload software. CD drive won't open. restart computer. Maxtor external hard drive still crashes the computer, but at least its backing things up. Need to uninstall/reinstall the software. Think I'm going to go get into the chocolate instead.

Happy New Years!

Sounds like the story of my week. My problem is ISP provider. Hold my breath every time I dial up to internet. Have done all the Uninstalls; Reinstalls; Lose the Address Book, etc; that I can stand. Still holding my breath. Works about every other time. DON'T tell me to get cable or DSL as neither is available in the approximately 4 mile radius locale that I am sitting plumb in the middle of. DONT tell me to get Satellite. I have had this ISP for YEARS and very very few problems. WHY NOW? Also, my shredder makes the same noise as your copier and won't shut off so have it plugged into a power strip with a switch so I can turn off and shut off. No time to shop for new equipment now and anyway just bought a newer car which is also in the hospital. DUH! People are dropping things off. Anyone think there is some kind of curse on beginning of tax season. Am going to spend New Years Eve in bed with a good book. Hubby is already asleep on the couch....love you all.

See's California Crunch made up for some of it. Yum. Well, went to Fry's and got a new cable and it worked. Best $8 I've ever spent! But got shut out of e-services, got my car ransomed from the shop for only $810 (at least I can write off some of it with the Dec. 31 date), my upstairs toilet won't flush, I have 6 back year's tax returns to do and I want to take a nap. Also one of my cats got into a fight and his ear is infected and my glasses broke yesterday morning.

Wah!

I think the nap will win. And I have more chocolate!

Picked up my car today too. Why do clients feel they have the right to call on New Years Day or, for that matter, any other Sunday or Holiday. Had 3 call and leave messages today; only one of which I answered because he is an elderly gentleman and was probably lonely and also wanted to wish me a Happy New Year. Went shopping with my sister-in-law; came home, had a beer and took your nap. Feeling great tonight and wishing everyone here a

wonderful and prosperous 2008.

And this is only the beginning! I love it when I come in on a holiday or weekend to try to catch up while it is quiet, and my clients think that is a good time to catch me with "nothing to do." OH YAY TAX SEASON!! ( And this year I am taking three college classes at the same time because I can't get them on my schedule otherwise. Its gonna be fun!)

This won't work with all clients, but for those clients who use email, it's great to get them oriented toward using it when they have questions to ask you. I get their email addresses when gathering their tax info, and then find a reason to email a question to them before finishing the return. I also email the annual letter to them. The purpose of all this is to get my email address in their inbox (and hopefully into their address book) so it wll be there when they have a question for me.

If you can migrate half or more of your routine questioners over to email, think about how much that frees you up. I find that answering their emails on weekends or late in the evening is handy for me as it doesn't cut into the "Golden Hours", plus it further encourages them to send questions via email since they are likley to get a faster answer than by calling my phone. Even if the answer is "I'll need to look that up when I get back in the office", at least they know you're thinking of their question & it reassures them.

OK I'm done. Think I'll take a nap now.

This won't work with all clients, but for those clients who use email, it's great to get them oriented toward using it when they have questions to ask you. I get their email addresses when gathering their tax info, and then find a reason to email a question to them before finishing the return. I also email the annual letter to them. The purpose of all this is to get my email address in their inbox (and hopefully into their address book) so it wll be there when they have a question for me.

If you can migrate half or more of your routine questioners over to email, think about how much that frees you up. I find that answering their emails on weekends or late in the evening is handy for me as it doesn't cut into the "Golden Hours", plus it further encourages them to send questions via email since they are likley to get a faster answer than by calling my phone. Even if the answer is "I'll need to look that up when I get back in the office", at least they know you're thinking of their question & it reassures them.

OK I'm done. Think I'll take a nap now.

Great Idea! I'm going to try it immediately. I have done some correspondence through e-mail regarding questions I have of clients, and one thing I really appreciate is that I have a written record of my correspondence and their replies, ect... This goes in their client file and if ever needed I can produce exact conversations. You cannot do this with phone conversations! But I must admit I never thought doing it on a normal basis. I love the idea!

Deb!

Ok, went to take the nap and inadvertently mildly poisoned myself (peroxide for the cat's ear was next to my water bottle). after calling poison center, got nap. went up to start the returns. Multi-purpose printer/scanner/copier/fax scanning bed gave up the ghost; got scanner error after every copy and had to turn off for at least 20 minutes to try to get it to reset so I could make one more copy. 2 hours later I stopped the return and looked up how much it cost to repair 3 years ago, and researched new machines. New one is definitely cost beneficial, and I'll get one that handles my volume of printing/copying etc.

Got appt w/vet for cat, brought client docs to job to use copier here, but forgot PDA with client's phone number in it, so I can't call and let them know it will take a bit longer to process returns due to computer hell.

And work is unveiling a new timecard software which is much more complicated and user unfriendly than the old. Can I just have a mental breakdown and be hospitalized for the rest of the season?

My entire practice is based on internet use and e-amil. It they can't, don't or forget, I send them along. This gives me an electronic record (backed up daily) of all activity with any client. It is also included in my engagement letter (sent via e-mail). The return is delived the same way but password protected. I have zero problems doing it this way.

As a side note, I repond to any e-mail when it is read. If I need to look something up later, I send a reply that I have their mail and will respond within the next 48 hours. My client base has been told over and over if I don't respond within 48 hours I did not get it and to resend their question or information.

Works for me.

Mike

This won't work with all clients, but for those clients who use email, it's great to get them oriented toward using it when they have questions to ask you. I

I have also found that by making the client ask the question by email and type it out their questions are more thought out and they include more information.

I have also found that by making the client ask the question by email and type it out their questions are more thought out and they include more information.

BUT...many of my clients, and not just the elderly, do not even have computers, let alone email. Many returns are done without ever seeing the clients with the use of email, fax and postal mail. However, there are a lot of them and that cannot be handled by those means and that would include every one that called yesterday and today.