ATX Community

Preparer Testing & Fingerprinting Update

Edward

The following from NATP TAXPRO Weekly (12/09/2010: "The IRS has issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) to procure a vendor for establishing testing & FINGERPRINTING services for those who will become registered tax return preparers. The IRS began implementing a number of actions to increase oversight of federal tax return preparers and this solicitation is in preparation for implemenetation of testing and suitability check proposals for those who will have to take the competency test. The RFP lists a tentative start date for testing and fingerprinting of 1 June 2011".

The following from NATP TAXPRO Weekly (12/09/2010: "The IRS has issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) to procure a vendor for establishing testing & FINGERPRINTING services for those who will become registered tax return preparers. The IRS began implementing a number of actions to increase oversight of federal tax return preparers and this solicitation is in preparation for implemenetation of testing and suitability check proposals for those who will have to take the competency test. The RFP lists a tentative start date for testing and fingerprinting of 1 June 2011".

When I registered to be a paid preparer/e-file/EFIN I had to submit finger prints, I don't think my finger prints will ever change, so I am wondering if I have to resubmit them?

I'm with you. Fingerprints can be a pain. I had them for teaching and each time you change districts you need another set of fingerprints. I submitted mine for my EFIN. I think they just want more money.

You Think???????? I am hoping that this will only be for preparers who have never e-filed before. I agree with MAS; they shouldn't have changed.

Nope - this is for everyone who "will become registered tax return preparers". Applies to all those who are making application on the W-12 for PTIN registration. That's another cost for us as I don't belive they do it for free? They'll probably come up with some sort of system that will allow the attachment of the fingerprints to the 1040, so they can really verify the preparer.......

Just had my PTP meeting on Wed. Liason officer from the IRS was the guest speaker. The fingerprinting and background check will be for ALL PTIN holders. The fingerprint and background check information from getting our EFIN numbers is a different system, and never the twain shall speak.

She admitted several times that the system(s) the IRS is using, and the vendors they are choosing have been FAR from adequate in the latest IRS boondoggle.

NONE of these actions actually address the issue of "untrained or unskilled" people preparing tax returns. It WILL cause more people to go underground (do returns but not sign them) than ever before. The testing is purported (not final yet) to be an online test. Now THAT will be a secure and dependable testing method for certain!!!

It is ONLY about all the money we will have to spend to show that we are doing what we have already been doing anyway!!

I am simply going to get my E.A. and be done with it! Doesn't stop all the annual renewal fees, etc., but will usurp all the stupid testing that will have no value anyway.

Just my RANT!!!:spaz:

This is slightly off the topic, but I know how the IRS could get preparer information without hasseling us for new registrations all the time.

Require the software vendors include the information from the person they sell the software to. Make the software imbed the information from the person who registers the software into every return that prints or is e-filed. They would then have the information they need to cross check returns against the preparer who bought the software.

What would this mean to us? We would have to give the software company everything we give them now. They already get our Name, address, EFIN, PTIN, etc.

I know what you are thinking. What about the people who buy Turbo. Guess what - same requirements. Register the software. So if more than one return pops up as having been printed or e-filed from that copy of the software, the IRS can send them a nice letter asking if they have been practicing without being registered. And they can send a letter to the taxpayer advising that the return came from a software product that was not registered in their name and they have some questions about the preparation. Intuit would love it because they would not be getting their product ripped off anymore.

But alas, I am not the Tax God of the United States and this will never fly. But I still think it is a good idea.

Tom

Lodi, CA

This is slightly off the topic, but I know how the IRS could get preparer information without hasseling us for new registrations all the time.

Require the software vendors include the information from the person they sell the software to. Make the software imbed the information from the person who registers the software into every return that prints or is e-filed. They would then have the information they need to cross check returns against the preparer who bought the software.

What would this mean to us? We would have to give the software company everything we give them now. They already get our Name, address, EFIN, PTIN, etc.

I know what you are thinking. What about the people who buy Turbo. Guess what - same requirements. Register the software. So if more than one return pops up as having been printed or e-filed from that copy of the software, the IRS can send them a nice letter asking if they have been practicing without being registered. And they can send a letter to the taxpayer advising that the return came from a software product that was not registered in their name and they have some questions about the preparation. Intuit would love it because they would not be getting their product ripped off anymore.

But alas, I am not the Tax God of the United States and this will never fly. But I still think it is a good idea.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Your suggestion will create a lot of traffic to the IRS website since TurboTax users/preparers will prepare extra returns using Turbo Tax and then connect to IRS and use a pdf fillable form from IRS.gov and mail that one or simply use the free efiling from the IRS website.

Allow me to put a different twist on this. I received a letter from the IRS acknowledging that even though I already have a PTIN, and have used it for 14 years, that I still have to renew that PTIN and pay the registration fee. Also, they included a brochure of the three step process of preparer registration, which none of it mentions finger printing. Might it be that the finger printing issue is for the first time PTIN and EFIN registration? I am sure the IRS can match the EFIN and PTIN if that person is an already a listed ERO. I would think that if I hired a preparer, that he/she would need to obtain the PTIN and finger printing prior to preparing any returns. While I would be the ERO, that preparer would have no need for a EFIN. Personally, it doesn't bother me to be finger printed again. I do agree while I may have removed mine a couple of times, sanding, pealing off calluses,etc; they grew back and are of the same design. :lol:

The fingerprint and background check is being proposed by the IRS to be rolled out mid to late 2011. Once in place, all will have to comply upon registration for their PTIN the next time it comes due.

We had an IRS liason at our last PTP meeting, and she was very informed about all this information. See my previous post..

:spaz:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with you. Fingerprints can be a pain. I had them for teaching and each time you change districts you need another set of fingerprints. I submitted mine for my EFIN. I think they just want more money.

I am in NJ, I am trying to get mine fingerprinting done, but it seems our local police department office are not accepting IRS provided fingerprinting documents, they are only looking for Universal Fingerprinting Form (#NJAPS2 Version 3.0). I called IRS, and they said i need to find a local 3rd company who can do such federal fingerprints.

Any idea, where can i find these companies. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am in NJ, I am trying to get mine fingerprinting done, but it seems our local police department office are not accepting IRS provided fingerprinting documents, they are only looking for Universal Fingerprinting Form (#NJAPS2 Version 3.0). I called IRS, and they said i need to find a local 3rd company who can do such federal fingerprints.

Any idea, where can i find these companies. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Google my friend

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=nj+fingerprinting+services&aq=2&aqi=g9g-m1&aql=&oq=NJ+finger&gs_rfai=

That is how I found a place in Chicago, I went to the closet place to me, I was thinking I was going to someone office, and it turned out it was convience store, very nice guy, he wouldn't let me leave until all the ink was gone.

When I registered to be a paid preparer/e-file/EFIN I had to submit finger prints, I don't think my finger prints will ever change, so I am wondering if I have to resubmit them?

But those of us who registered in the first year did not have to submit fingerprints, so I never had to. Just one more PITA step to waste my valuable time and money. Don't know of any way this will help the IRS or the public, frankly.

HI KC.......I, too, was fingerprinted many years ago. I just happened to be talking to a client of mine yesterday who is a County Deputy. He said he hasn't taken anyone's fingerprints for years, but is going to check around. He asked me if I had filed mine off since I first had them taken. I agree that it is just something else to waste our time and money.

Am having enough stress just getting ready for tax season.....purchasing supplies, senting out letters and/or organizers; trying to reduce the chaos left in my office from last year. This is getting really expensive and taking a toll on my brain. AND.....the phone is starting to ring.

I was actually fingerprinted twice for ERO...long story...and found out my fingerprints are hard to read with newer scanning equipment because I have clubbed fingers due to IPF. My biggest problem with the new requirement is this 'overdoing' it. I can understand the 'even my hairdresser needs a license' position...but, I don't think my hairdresser, mechanic, plumber...etc (any occupation requiring certification - except teacher, and a few others)...needs to be fingerprinted?!!