ATX Community

Latest Update

mcb39

ATX: IRS 1040 Efile and acknowledgement schedule

1/14/2011

1040 Efile is available now. Be sure you have downloaded the latest program and form updates, create efiles and send. IRS and state efiles are sent separately this year; all states are efiled in the "state-only" format, meaning they are created and sent separately from the federal efile. You may efile your federal return without having the state forms, then edit that return later to add state forms and create/send the state efile.

The IRS will send the first acknowledgements late Sunday Jan 16th for all returns efiled Jan 12-15.

The first RAL checks should post to the EROs late Sunday night or Monday morning.

The first ERC checks are printed in two weeks...when IRS makes the first weekly deposits for all returns accepted Jan 14-20, presumably Jan 28th this year. Refer to the Refund Cycle Chart on the Efile page of the support site for weekly deposit dates.

Refund Cycle Chart http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p2043.pdf

NOTE: Because our EFC is completely automated, there is no way to stop an individual e-file once you send it to us.

IRS and state efiles are sent separately this year; all states are efiled in the "state-only" format, meaning they are created and sent separately from the federal efile.

I must have missed this memo that federal/state piggyback e-filing is no more. This creates an added step now in e-file processing, resulting in less effeciency. As Winnie the Pooh would say "Oh bother!" (at least that's who I think always said that).

At first I agreed that it was Winnie who said "Oh bother." Then when KC mentioned Eeyore, I could hear that voice in my head, too. So I Googled it. Urban Dictionary gives credit to Pooh. Someone discussed it on Yahoo asking if Eeyore ever said it, too. Most responders said "no." So I have nothing definitive that Eeyore never said it. It is, however, primarily attributed to Pooh.

Can you tell I don't have any clients yet? I have too much time on my hands! (I know it won't last and I'm enjoying it for another week or so.)

"This creates an added step now in e-file processing, resulting in less effeciency."

Not really, it is just the same click. Instead of clicking on Piggyback Ohio, you will click on Ohio.

"I, too, missed that memo! What about states like Ohio that begin with federal AGI? They have always been piggyback"

More than 50% (I want to be very conservative) of the states start with federal AGI and that will not change.

I was reading the efiling regulations and it reads it is illegal to pileup returns before efile starts, I haven't done that. Anyways, I got a some clients yesterday and I haven't transmitted them. I am waiting for the bugs to be found on the first returns. In any event, it doesn't matter is you efiled friday on tomorrow, the refund will be processed on the same date.

The IRS has lifted the ban on stockpiling the returns that cannot be filed until mid to late February.

In answer to another question, WI has always been piggyback, but it is correct that you have to fill out Fed before state and just an extra click to file them separately.

Are we to efile the fed then wait for it to be accepted to then efile the state? Last year with piggy back if fed was rejected then michigan was to. Now if we e-file them both at the same time the fed could be rejected the state accepted and the federal reject could affect the state and bring on state 1040Xs.